That's the Wrap Folks (kinda)

The Hurricane

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
We've still got 4 picks left but they are:

5th round compensatory (untradeable)
6th round compensatory (untradeable)
Two 7th rounders.

This signals to me that we've already grabbed all the players we intend to keep on the roster. The rest will likely be practice squad (or cut).

Our 2009 Draft Class:

Patrick Chung SS Oregon
Ron Brace NT Boston College
Darius Butler CB Connecticut
Sebastian Vollmer OL Houston
Brandon Tate KR North Carolina
Tyrone McKenzie ILB South Florida

Thoughts?

I'm quite happy with it overall. We improved our depth quite a bit at key positions. And many of these guys have the potential to grow into future starters. Offhand I would say Chung is the only player we drafted with a chance to outright start this year (and chances are he still won't), but Chung, Brace, Butler, and McKenzie should all see decent playing time this year. Tate I'm thinking will be placed on IR (torn knee ligaments) right before we have to trim our roster down. We don't really have the space for him right now, and he is high profile enough that he could get stolen from us if we try to put him on the practice squad. I LOVE that we were able to convert some picks into 2010 2nd rounders. It would have been a waste to draft players that we had no space for on our roster.

I wonder about Hoyer (if he's still available late)... would they get back in there ? Prob not, but... BB is a sneaky one...

Wow I fail: I'll shut my mouth before I anger BB any more.

Hobbs Traded for Orhnberger and a 6th round pick. I guess we weren't done after all.

You forgot part of the trade - cap space. Hobbs was traded for Orhnberger, a 6th round pick, and around $2M of the Eagles cap space (Hobbs cap hit less Orhnberger's and the 6th round pick cost).

Wow I fail: I'll shut my mouth before I anger BB any more.

Hobbs Traded for Orhnberger and a 6th round pick. I guess we weren't done after all.

BB is never "done" !!

Let's trade the 7th for Al Davis's #1 next year!

I like the draft class. A lot of guys with something to prove and high ceilings. It was better than 2007 when I couldn't find any scouting reports on every player selected after the first round.

We've still got 4 picks left but they are:

5th round compensatory (untradeable)
6th round compensatory (untradeable)
Two 7th rounders.

This signals to me that we've already grabbed all the players we intend to keep on the roster. The rest will likely be practice squad (or cut).

Our 2009 Draft Class:

Patrick Chung SS Oregon
Ron Brace NT Boston College
Darius Butler CB Connecticut
Sebastian Vollmer OL Houston
Brandon Tate KR North Carolina
Tyrone McKenzie ILB South Florida

Thoughts?

I'm quite happy with it overall. We improved our depth quite a bit at key positions. And many of these guys have the potential to grow into future starters. Offhand I would say Chung is the only player we drafted with a chance to outright start this year (and chances are he still won't), but Chung, Brace, Butler, and McKenzie should all see decent playing time this year. Tate I'm thinking will be placed on IR (torn knee ligaments) right before we have to trim our roster down. We don't really have the space for him right now, and he is high profile enough that he could get stolen from us if we try to put him on the practice squad. I LOVE that we were able to convert some picks into 2010 2nd rounders. It would have been a waste to draft players that we had no space for on our roster.

BB has sent a huge message to the secondary with his actions in this offseason and draft. If I am Chung, I am working my tail off on the field, in the weight room and in the classroom, because Sanders is NOT a lock to start.

BB has sent a huge message to the secondary with his actions in this offseason and draft. If I am Chung, I am working my tail off on the field, in the weight room and in the classroom, because Sanders is NOT a lock to start.

To START?? This should serve notice that any DB not on their rookie contract is NOT a lock to even make the team. If Bodden or Springs come in and get outplayed by Butler or Wheatley there wont be any incentive to keep them. Newly signed FAs just have to look at Hobson and Bryant last year if they think they win roster spots by reputation. Its funny how we let draft picks have more scope their rope than FAs, but such is cap management.

To START?? This should serve notice that any DB not on their rookie contract is NOT a lock to even make the team. If Bodden or Springs come in and get outplayed by Butler or Wheatley there wont be any incentive to keep them. Newly signed FAs just have to look at Hobson and Bryant last year if they think they win roster spots by reputation. Its funny how we let draft picks have more scope their rope than FAs, but such is cap management.

You can't compare Sanders' situation to Hobson & Bryant. Sanders just signed a multi-year deal with (I think) $3 million guaranteed, and the Pats know exactly what they're getting in him -- no question marks about learning the system, fitting into the team, work ethic, etc. Plus Sanders' strengths are his attitude, intelligence and knowledge of the system, which makes him Chung's invaluable mentor. He's a lock for the roster, though his exact role is up in the air.

Point to ponder: Mike Richardson now has the longest tenure of the Pats' CBs.

I think the focus was on improving in the red zone especially.

With Butler's leaping ability we now have someone who can defend those fade routes in the corner of the endzone. And with Chung you have someone who can put the fear of God into anyone running accross the middle of the goalline.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back