PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Patriots are changing their evaluation grading system for scouting

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I think this is the best news I have heard since the change in regimes. Looks like Belichick's grading system of putting an emphasis of how a player will fit into the Patriots' system over everything else is gone. And they are implementing the Packers' system where they emphasize athleticism, versatility, and explosiveness.

1707603446236.png

I wonder if this is more about future drafts than it is this one. At this time of year are you really going to have the scouts redo years of notes on some of these players instead of making sure they have all the information they need for April? 10ish weeks isn't alot of time.

Tyquan Thornton was the fastest or second fastest player in his entire draft class, Marcus Jones was also one of the most athletic players in his draft class, so was Cole Strange at his position.

I think the front office could benefit from not insisting on players BB likes on a personal level and judges them solely on football merits... we'll see.

But saying the Patriots under BB didn't draft athletic players is silly.

Mac sucked, now we're not sure who picked him... but he was the biggest problem.

Tyquan Thornton was the fastest or second fastest player in his entire draft class, Marcus Jones was also one of the most athletic players in his draft class, so was Cole Strange at his position.

I think the front office could benefit from not insisting on players BB likes on a personal level and judges them solely on football merits... we'll see.

Mac sucked, now we're not sure who picked him... but he was the biggest problem.
Bill picked Jones.

And he was a problem not THE problem.

As long as the players they draft are still tough, smart and team-oriented i'm all in.

If this new grading system discounts those traits then we will remain ****ty or once we win some games front-runners like the Ravens,

The article didn’t say that Belichick didn’t draft athletic players. The article says Belichick prioritized system fit over athleticism. You can go back and look at all the athletic and explosive players for guys that fit the Belichick system over the years. Many of those guys he passed over ended up being Pro Bowlers or All Pros. Can look at how he took N’Keal Harry over Deebo Samuel or AJ Brown for example.

And Mac was the ultimate system fit pick. From day one of the draft process everyone said he was best suited for the Patriots’ system.

And the Pats were 2-3 with Zappe as a starter and the wins were against the Steelers with Mitch Trubisky and the imploding Broncos. Mac was not the biggest problem. He was a big problem, but this team sucked with or without Mac. The biggest problem was there was next to no talent on offense at any level other than RB.

Last edited:
As long as the players they draft are still tough, smart and team-oriented i'm all in.

If this new grading system discounts those traits then we will remain ****ty or once we win some games front-runners like the Ravens,

The article talks about what they prioritize. Obviously they will look at the entire package of a player and evaluate other aspects.

But depending on the offensive system they implement, intelligence may not be as important than the old Patriots‘ system. There are some very successful offenses where receivers don’t have to a lot of thinking. We have seen several All Pros come here and struggle to understand the offense because they came from simple offenses.

Tyquan Thornton and Cole Strange were also big reaches. I’m assuming Highsmith will take more than just speed and quickness into account.

The main thing about Thornton was just that he is supposed to be lightning fast. He was also projected fourth round at best and we took him mid-second.

Mac is not good
Again, two things can be true. Mac wasn't good, he wasn't the only or main problem on the offense. Don't forget that not long ago this offense was so bad it made Tom Brady look pedestrian and had fans blaming him and calling him washed. Then he left and proved that was nonsense and that it was indeed the talent on the team

Mac wasn't good the last two years, the offense was very bad, Mac would probably look better somewhere else, we would be well served to not hitch our cart to the lazy idea that this is a one QB fix, because it's just a way to get dissapointed and avoid addressing the more difficult challnege of fixing an entire offense that has been inept for 5 years.

Tyquan Thornton and Cole Strange were also big reaches. I’m assuming Highsmith will take more than just speed and quickness into account.

The main thing about Thornton was just that he is supposed to be lightning fast. He was also projected fourth round at best and we took him mid-second.
We jumped in front of the Steelers. The Steelers current WR coach was Thornton's WR coach at Baylor.

Thornton is exactly the type of explosive athlete that doesn't fit the Patriots system. He was useless on the Patriots. Maybe not on the Steelers.

This is clear as mud. Obviously everyone wants explosive athletes. And they want play within their system.

they emphasize athleticism, versatility, and explosiveness

So, this sounds great when it comes to WRs, where we seemed to miss a lot.

but how do those traits work for OL; our 2d (IMO) biggest need?
what about other positions?QB - does this lead to a running QB who can’t throw ( god forbid). Defense?

at the end of the day; I’m not sure it matters what grade system you use. For example in schools: if you grade on a 0-100 point scal, give grades A, B, C, D in a 4-pt scale or even use the European 6-pt inverse system: (1 = best / 6= failed. )

What matters is WHO IS DOING THE GRADING it the point system?
Then who applies the filters and decisions. Sounds like Eliot , Mayo, and van Lesly w Alonzo thrown in doing the latter. So that should be different and I am cautiously hopeful.

but that initial grading #s has to be from the records and BB guy carryovers. If our presumption is that scouting process sucked…. Well, still: garbage in -garbage out.

maybe they ‘ll just use Kiper’s list and call it a day. LoL.

And Mac was the ultimate system fit pick. From day one of the draft process everyone said he was best suited for the Patriots’ system.

He also happened to be the 5th QB and the one that fell to them, we'll never really know how they felt about the others...not that it matters most of them suck too.

The article talks about what they prioritize. Obviously they will look at the entire package of a player and evaluate other aspects.
There is no guarantee it is "obviously" as we know nothing about this FO or coaching staff's philosophy. We could have another Joe Mendes picking players.
But depending on the offensive system they implement, intelligence may not be as important than the old Patriots‘ system. There are some very successful offenses where receivers don’t have to a lot of thinking.
Agree but they need to still learn an NFL offense.
We have seen several All Pros come here and struggle to understand the offense because they came from simple offenses.
Several All Pros? Who?

Did you listen to the Patriots coaching staff comment on their Senior Bowl scouting. Did not seem like detailed analysis from an old or new system. @BaconGrundleCandy is a lot more detailed.

There is no guarantee it is "obviously" as we know nothing about this FO or coaching staff's philosophy. We could have another Joe Mendes picking players.

Agree but they need to still learn an NFL offense.

Several All Pros? Who?

Chad Ochocinco was the most notable. DeMaryius Thomas had a horrible preseason, seemed not pick up the offense, was cut, re-signed and never made it onto the field until he was traded to the Jets a few weeks later despite the Pats being thin at WR. Rumors were that Torry Holt had trouble picking up the system before they put him on IR, but who knows. I thought Joey Galloway made it once as an All Pro, but I am wrong. But he couldn’t get the offense.

I am guessing you think I meant All Pros in their prime. I was talking about players who exceeded in simple offenses enough to be elite players but were clueless in the Patriots offense. Not that they were still All Pros by the time they got to the Patriots. I should have been more clear about that.

Ochocinco and Galloway at least would have sucked in the Patriots’ offense even in their prime. Neither could pick up the offense at all.

Last edited:
So, this sounds great when it comes to WRs, where we seemed to miss a lot.

but how do those traits work for OL; our 2d (IMO) biggest need?
Imho, for OL (especially OT), lateral explosiveness is incredibly important. It's why a lot of the best OLs have had incredibly good 20yd shuttle times - the 1st step for that test is a side to side motion. It's no coincidence future HoFer Jason Kelce has the fastest Combine time ever for the position.

"Kelce has the mobility and mentality to make it as a reserve center in the NFL. However, does not have the size or power to project as a starter... Is never going to be a road-grading run blocker who blows defenders off the ball. Late-rounder or rookie free agent."

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back