The Patriots first AFC Championship Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats Fanatic

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I thought it would be fun to look back at the first AFC Championship Game against the Dolphins. It was great in so many ways.
Before YouTube gets rid of the video here it is. The commercials are funny also.

1. January 12, 1986

Hard to think of a more glorious day in Patriots' History in the 20th century.

At the pregame rally before the team headed to Logan, Julius Adams stated, "I've just got one thing to say. We're going down here, we're gonna rip their faces off! Yeah!!"

And that's exactly what we did.
    don_blackmon_1986_01_12.jpg

It is the last playoff game we won looking like the Patriots.

History of the Patriots Uniform

Our original, traditional AFL uniforms of the sixties, as the Boston Patriots
    th

These were reprised in 1984, and worn very occasionally this century.
    pats1.jpg

Our modern era uniforms in the National Football League as the New England Patriots, when we established ourselves as championship contenders for real, and for good.
    51QNLuFd2BL._SY300_.jpg
    john-hannah.jpg

Our throw-up, pathetic ugly fake uniforms, the unholy abomination perpetrated entirely by NFL people who have nothing but contempt, disdain and hatred for our team and our franchise.
    th
    th

Happy that Kraft bought the team, kept it here and hired BB, but his statement that he cares about "good name and reputation" is ludicrous.

Squish the fish. My first real memory of a NE playoff run. They were the first team in NFL history to go on the road and win 3x as a WC to advance to the SB.

Still have that game on vcr. Watch it at least once a year. Those John Hancock commercials still drive me insane. And boy, were Chryslers ugly or what!

Here is the 2001 AFC Championship game . The 1996 was up a month ago but was taken down.

Still have that game on vcr. Watch it at least once a year. Those John Hancock commercials still drive me insane. And boy, were Chryslers ugly or what!
Car design sucked in the 80's give me a 1970 Dodge Charger or a Ford Mustang any day.

Yep. I have a handful of games I recorded on vcr. I don't have this one but I have SB XX and the Den playoff game when Eason was backed by Rulon Jones in 86.

Damn I did not know Bob Costas has been around that long

This is an amazing bit of nostalgia, especially with the commercials!

Thanks for posting.

Skip ahead to 1:31:00 for a moment of pure awesomeness. Be sure to pay attention to Bill's exuberant reaction to it immediately afterward. :)

Here is the 2001 AFC Championship game . The 1996 was up a month ago but was taken down.

This game was just a lot of fun.

It's what we should have experienced there twenty-five years earlier.

that whole thing is on you tube..i was 9, but i knew once they got by oakland, they were taking down miami.

my uncles took a chartered
plane down to miami with all kinds of “extracurriculars” on board, took over one of the hotels with the others on the chartered plane, and proceeded to take over miami all weekend. if you look into the stands towards the end of the game, the orange bowl was loaded with pats fans.

screw shula and his overrated, sanctimonious self

1986 was memorable as it was the first time we could get Pats Gear commercially, even though it was a cheap red "Squish the Fish" T-shirt (no hologram) we all bought 'em and wore them until they were threadbare...

Used to work 3-11 on Sunday during that run, and after work would head on over to Green Airport to watch them land and hobble off the plane..

My T-shirt was red, but this is a reasonable facsimile thereof.. it was butt ugly...

images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
Back