PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Patriots FO needs to avoid appeasing the fans.

It's the highest pick they've had in two generations. They need to take a QB (or MHJ) at 3. Trading down is part of the reason their roster is in the shape it's in. BB trading down instead of simply taking a player where they were (or, God forbid, trading up for a player they really liked).

I'm going to disagree with the crazy, negative take here because...I disagree with them. Sorry if that upsets you.

You either are intentionally misinterpreting my post(s) or just a dimwit. Not good either way. :(

It's the highest pick they've had in two generations. They need to take a QB (or MHJ) at 3. Trading down is part of the reason their roster is in the shape it's in. BB trading down instead of simply taking a player where they were (or, God forbid, trading up for a player they really liked).

I'm going to disagree with the crazy, negative take here because...I disagree with them. Sorry if that upsets you.
Last year they traded back and wound up with arguably the best CB in the draft. “Trading back” isn’t why the offense was ranked 32nd last year.

They stood pat and took Mac at 15 and he sucked royally, if they had pulled a 49ers and traded the world to move up (god forbid) it would have been one of the worst draft blunders in a decade.

There were no great QB’s in that 2021 draft class. The best was Trevor Lawrence who they had no shot at and has been merely good, the second best was the guy taken in the third round that BB reportedly wanted instead in Davis Mills.

Trading back is smart if they don’t have full faith in the QB’s left on the board at #3, or maybe take a blue chip OT… but taking a WR with no QB… dumb, trade back instead.

The QB I want isn't the one that's destined to go in the top 5 picks. I want Michael Pratt. I like his combination of athleticism and throwing ability. if he could learn to step into his throws just a bit more he could be something.

Two first-round picks this year and a first or second next year (the Vikings look to be a prospective trade partner for this). I'd like to see them prioritize a stud left tackle with one of the picks and use the other on a WR or QB. Then use their own second-rounder on a WR or QB.
Not a bad scenario at all depending on who the organization likes most towards the top of the draft.

The QB I want isn't the one that's destined to go in the top 5 picks. I want Michael Pratt. I like his combination of athleticism and throwing ability. if he could learn to step into his throws just a bit more he could be something.
The one my gut is telling me is a true gamer is JJ McCarthy, if they could trade back 2-3 spots and still get him it would be genius.

Don't mind McCarthy, but with a weak o-line, I want the guy who can run. Whoever we have back there will have to be able to escape. So I want the guy with the best 40 time

Don't mind McCarthy, but with a weak o-line, I want the guy who can run. Whoever we have back there will have to be able to escape. So I want the guy with the best 40 time
If the Pats find a good left tackle in the draft and stay healthy they’ll have a good O-Line.

McCarthy didn’t run a forty at the combine, perhaps he will (should) at his pro day but his agility drills were great. He can shake defenders out of their cleats, and pocket presence and movement is more important to me than running. Passing is the game.

While I agree the Pats have to cut out the trading down as the latest example of passing on McDuffie for Strange isn't looking good. But the point was trading down is what would make that poster happy. You are basically saying you know what the poster likes better than he does.

You can only truly appease fans by winning games, everything else is just off season filler that is soon forgotten about after the season starts.

Everyone soon gets amnesia about all the off season positives if you're 1-4.

"This is a multiyear rebuild."

We're sure hearing that ^ a lot... again, based on what?

The new regime inherited the third most cap space in the NFL, and clean books for years into the future.

They inherited the 3rd overall pick and every subsequent round, along with all their future draft picks.

They inherited the 5th best defense in points allowed per drive, a booming punter and a pretty well run special teams unit outside of an inconsistent rookie field goal kicker.

They have to fix the 32nd ranked offense... why does that take multiple years?

It's this ^ attitude that will have us staring at a doormat for the next decade.

They started out strong bringing all of their best free agents back, now they're sitting on their hands.

They also signed a few guys who could have been money better spent elsewhere and lack overall athleticism.

There's nothing spoiled or entitled for pointing that out.
Considering you spent all last off season claiming the team was actually very good and was destined to take a big step forward and they instead had their worst season in a quarter century, maybe you aren't in the best position to get upset that some of us think this team needs more than one year to get back in the fold of things.

You can't list all these things they have and where the defense was ranked. Fact is they finished as the third worst team last year. That's a pretty big climb from that to relevancy.

Considering you spent all last off season claiming the team was actually very good and was destined to take a big step forward and they instead had their worst season in a quarter century, maybe you aren't in the best position to get upset that some of us think this team needs more than one year to get back in the fold of things.
Considering this ^ post is a big fantasy concocted by your warped imagination, nobody should put stock in anything you say.
You can't list all these things they have and where the defense was ranked. Fact is they finished as the third worst team last year. That's a pretty big climb from that to relevancy.
I provided the facts and rankings based on points, so simple a 12 year old can understand it.

They had the 5th best defense despite dragging the 32nd worst offense behind them. They brought all of their best free agents back this offseason.

They have to fix the offense, and they have the most resources in the NFL to do it… that’s not a multiyear rebuild.

Last edited:
Considering this ^ post is a big fantasy concocted by your warped imagination, nobody should put stock in anything you say.

I provided the facts and rankings based on points, so simple a 12 year old can understand it.

They had the 5th best defense despite dragging the 32nd worst offense behind them. They brought all of their best free agents back this offseason.

They have to fix the offense, and they have the most resources in the NFL to do it… that’s not a multiyear rebuild.
Fact: They had the third worst record this season.
Fact: They had the worst offense and did not address the three most important positions that are the hardest to get on offense (QB/WR/LT)
Fact: These "best free agents" they brought back are not elite players. That's what happens when you have a mediocre team.
Fact: You did outright say and argue with many people that the team would be better last year. They had their worst season since in a quarter of a century.
Fact: the '5th best defense" coudn't drag the team to beyond the the 3rd worst record.

No, you just can't tell the difference between expressing a personal wish and trying to persuade others what should happen.

You are trying to have a dialogue (viewpoints that influence and build on each other) and he's trying to have a discussion (from the same root as percussion, literally means "to throw opinions at each other").

Different purposes.

Fact: They had the third worst record this season.
Fact: They had the worst offense and did not address the three most important positions that are the hardest to get on offense (QB/WR/LT)
Fact: These "best free agents" they brought back are not elite players. That's what happens when you have a mediocre team.
Fact: You did outright say and argue with many people that the team would be better last year. They had their worst season since in a quarter of a century.
Fact: the '5th best defense" coudn't drag the team to beyond the the 3rd worst record.

I suspect they are going to use up about $20M of the cap on extensions of current guys. That's a SWAG.
What would you have them do with the other $30M? Which player(s) that chose other teams would you try to entice with significantly more $$ than they got from those teams? What's the plan?

I definitely want to be "appeased" although not in the sense that the owners should make decisions with me (or us) in mind.
I want a disciplined, systemic improvement plan to be enacted. I do not want that interrupted to win games in '24. But we can still have an enthusiastic group of self-sacrificing players that are easy to root for. That can be achieved immediately. We used to have it, and it seemed to get eroded.

So what you’re saying is we should take proven winner JJ McCarthy with our first round pick instead of bumbling Drake Maye?

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back