PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on the Seahawks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the info. He'll help them for sure, but Bennett being out is still a big advantage for NE. He was their best player the last time we played them.
I agree. Bennett being out hurts them far worse than if Chancellor would have missed the game. He is a great player and was a bigger disruption in 2014 than Chancellor. I'm glad we won't have to deal with him, though it would have still been fun to watch him out there.

Last edited:
Seattle gave up over 400 yards to the Bill, in a game that was competitive. The Pats gave up 375 in a game that was not. Was very surprised how easily the Bill O played against the Seattle D.
Tyrod was a big factor though. There were many plays where if it's Brady, he gets sacked. Tyrod wiggled out of some tough situations where the defender pretty much had him. That's why Brady will have to get the ball out quickly, which obviously is not hard for Brady in most games. Tyrod is so damn elusive. He's a poor man's Russ. Wilson.

I'm not trying to play Tyrod up too much because he really is weak in a lot of areas, but I'd still like to see him with an arsenal of good weapons or a better OC. He has raw ability and could be really good if paired with someone who can groom him better. He has a great deep ball (one of the best in the league to be honest) and he generally makes good decisions with the ball. Great passer on the run and can gash a D when necessary. If he can fix his short to intermediate and maybe be willing to take just a few more chances, I think a team would have a solid mid level QB.

Last edited:
Tyrod was a big factor though. There were many plays where if it's Brady, he gets sacked. Tyrod wiggled out of some tough situations where the defender pretty much had him. That's why he'll have to get the ball out quickly, which obviously is not hard for Brady in most games. Tyrod is so damn elusive. He's a poor man's Russ. Wilson.

I'm not trying to play Tyrod up too much because he really is weak in a lot of areas, but I'd still like to see him with an arsenal of good weapons or a better OC. He has raw ability and could be really good if paired with someone who can groom him better. He has a great deep ball (one of the best in the league to be honest) and he generally makes good decisions with the ball. Great passers-by on the run and can gash a D when necessary. If he can fix his short to intermediate and maybe be willing to take just a few more chances, I think a team would have a solid mid level QB.

Yes, but Tyrod also missed guys who were completely wide open. An accurate passer he is not.

Yes, but Tyrod also missed guys who were completely wide open. An accurate passer he is not.
I know. That's why I said he needs to be refined. He sucks in the short to intermediate. His best attributes are his elusiveness, deep ball accuracy (top 5) and he is not prone to making many mistakes. But I agree that he needs work. The right OC can turn him into something, I believe.

Except when he plays the Pats. Then he turns into Joe Freakin' Montana.

Ya really looked like Montana 2 weeks ago :rolleyes:

They scored more points in the second game than they did in the first game.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Seahawks are garbage and are going to be disposed of on Sunday with ease. ;)

Seahawks 17

Pats 31

Seahawks with the garbage time TD at the end

IIRC, the key strategy points for the Pats in the superbowl were to run crossing and not vertical routes, stop Bennett, and try and create match up advantages with Gronk. They failed miserably with Bennett, but did well with the other 2.
I recall Bennett being untouched or barely touched a couple of times and Brady still making completions. Definitely a game to take advantage of their tendencies and take what the defense gives you. Our Bennett could be a huge weapon in this type of gam (when coupled with Gronk)

This should be a great contest for national TV and a good one to see how the ratings fare.

Wilson is a top tier QB in my mind and capable of making the big play at the right time (except for one, of course :D). He is banged up and less mobile than usual so that's a help. Their running game looked almost non-existent against the Bills, and their D really didn't look frightening.

That said, how will OUR defense respond after losing JC?

Brady carved Seattle up in the SB. I expect him to do so again, especially with help from our current running game. Can't wait!

Go Pats!

I would try Eric Rowe on Graham, because Graham is WR not TE, Butler on Baldwin, Chung on Lockette, because Chung was awesome blanketing Ty Hilton. Ryan on Kearse and have problem who would cover Paul Richardson, because he is speedy. Jonathan Jones not practicing so maybe Coleman? Mccourty helping depends on the situation. Elandon Roberts as spy.

Oh yeah, you're going to be our next DC when Patricia leaves! o_O

Why isn't there a Wednesday injury report?

Anyone else watching SB49 again? What an awesome game

I watched it this weekend. What a treat.

As for this game, no Bennett for Seattle is huge. I'm not as worried about Kam, simply because the Pats have an embarrassment of riches with which to attack that portion of the field, even if a couple guys were limited today. Should win comfortably. 31-20 seems realistic to me.

Why isn't there a Wednesday injury report?

There was. Perhaps you just didn't see it. We had 3 limited participants with Bennett, Edelman, and Branch.

This should be great game. Which is a change from the ****ty product we've been getting this year and previous years for that matter.
A ton has changed but a lot remains the same with these two teams.

I have a lot of respect for Seattle and how they compete. And they've been there done that and won.

Biggest key for us, imo, is our defense vs their offense. Im certain we'll put up 26+ but can our defense rise to the challenge? Hold them under 23 and were almost unbeatable.

Our D has been pretty good this year and have a lot of talent and chemistry. Im hoping Matt uses Flowers a lot more. He was binky of mine and is full of motor. Perfect for this game. Sheard hasnt looked right all year and especially when he has to change direction. I want more Flowers, even if there from Carol.

Im hoping all our db's play physical and bring that from play one. I really want to see Ryan and Chung have a good game and this looks like a physical match up that might be what they need.

Patriots Offense / Seattle Defense

The Seahawks defense has struggled the last three games in several different areas. Injuries, t.o.p., 3rd % and their overall play has just been down. Whether Thomas (taking bad angles, missing tackles etc) or lack of pressure from the line, missing tackles, this defense has been on the field a ton and missing their best player. I think in the last 3 games, the defense has played 40 + mins in each game. Their aggression level has come down and they've missed some tackles they usually dont miss.

Bennett is actually still slightly underrated , which is a little surprising. Hes actually the closest thing their is to JJ Watt, in term s of versatility and disrupting from every spot across the front. Hes a great player and allows them to do a lot on defense. Missing him is a huge +++. Bennett and Avril really complement each other tremendously.

This game def starts up front imo bc if they cant get pressure without the blitz they'll have a ton of trouble keeping up with us. I think their going to play and stick with their traditional zone bc besides C.A. they havent applied any pressure. He really has a great great off and everything starts with his first step. From their he'll use his hands, mostly to slide across an opponents face or get to the loop.

Im picking on Lane any time I can, much like Arizona & the "anyone but Pat P" approach. Sherman can be had and he has trouble with guys like ours so im sure Brady will take a shot or 3 or 4 at him with some doubles and crossing patterns. But still remains a great boundary corner.

Anyway Lane really has trouble with out routes, posts and has trouble defending those quick outs, esp if its a bubble with some room. He will play without discipline and misses assignments every game whether its in the run/blitz game or in coverage.

Bobby and KJ are playing very well, esp Wagner but any time we get Coyle in coverage or space its a huge+++ for us. Hes just not built for playing any olb position imo bc of lack of athleticism. Really just a north/south hole hitter. Definitely not enough speed to keep up with anyone we have.

Shead, McCray, Lane and Coyle are all +++ match ups for us.

Again this defense has been on the field a ton. Missed tackles and intensity hasnt been there. Their also stuck between being picked apart no matter what they play, zone/ man or mix it, if they dont get pressure. And Bennett out is a huge for them in that area.
They can come with they blitz but Brady will hurt em quick and it could get out of hand real quick. Or stay in zone while we eat up clock and wear em out by the end of the 3rd.

Im so hoping we get to see a healthy Marty and Gronk bc its going to be fun. Unstoppable and just a nightmare for opposing defenses.

Gronk/Marty- They have no one to cover him. Hes been playkng himself into shape and looks better each week. Hes truly a top ten player including QB's. Legit HOF.
Marty is incredible in his own right and has shown what hes capable of here. An enormous guy, he can catch bubbles, go deep, shred the seam and is a walking 1st down with comebacks. Also a tremendous blocker as we've seem countless times this year.

James White and co. And by co I mean Foster, another favorite of mine and maybe Lewis. Although I hope we keep him out another week. All three are perfect complements here and really will accomplish several things.
1)Their gunna eat up a ton of space when we go spread

2)Force a team to tackle that hasnt done that well lately

3)Force a team to run and chase and go east/west after being on the field a ton the past few games

4) Keep LG fresh ... who hasnt been my favorite player, "ive described him as a "power back that doesnt run with power" at times but hes running great, for him, this year. We really need him to be decisive and use all of that weight this game.

Again the Hawks just got done playing a tough game against a team with a complex run game and looked worse for wear after the past games. Early, middle or late I just want to see some power here from him after the bye. Their DB's have made some "business decisions" lately so he'll feast on crows when he gets to the 2nd level.

Edelman and Hogan- Both are perfect match up wrs to move around here and Hogan should continue to make his timely contributions throughout the game. Hes such a nice weapon that puts this offense over the top, along with Bennett imo.

Patriots defense / Seattle's Offense

Most of the problems Seattle has on offense starts with line. Which imo has benefited from the "lighting in a bottle" duo of Lynch/Wilson. Another two guys who were absolutely perfect for each other.

Despite what many believe or think Seattle's line has never been great or even above in both the passing and running game. The problem is getting a spotlight on it bc on no Lynch, injuries to Wilson and lack filler at RB.

That line is "Miami" bad, (even tho the fins have been playing better as of late) and really a mess from top to bottom. Cable has had a ton of players come and go since hes been there and very little success with his zone blocking attack. An underrated, key aspect of this scheme is the chemistry and continuity the line has to have. At least most of the time and it def help the longer you stag together. Mostly bc it involves getting to the 2nd levsl quickly. Sometimesin doing so Seattle will ignore the 1st block completely just to get "ahead", except the play is already dead before they can make an impact there.

It actually wouldnt be that bad if they actually got something from the running back position. The pass blocking is bad but its tolerable with a healthy Wilson and effective run game.

Id really love to see Flowers on some twists up the middle. I love this guy. He just has that hunger right now and Im all for more snaps, even if Sheard sits some.

I know Bill will want to contain Wilson but some pressure up the middle, in general, is much need. Also this is a 100% Wilson. We have some very athletic guys that can chase and put a hurt on him.

Whether its Glowinski-Britt-Ifedi, i really think we can take advantage of this group. Be it Brown (!) or lining up some of our DE's inside we can create something here and still keep a watchful eye on Wilson and his escape routes with 54 and Roberts.

I think this could be a good game for our DB's as well and even get a TO. I think this will be a physical game and that plays to our strength with our personnel.

They really have a great trio in the rec game with Graham, Lockett and Baldwin. And obviously Kearse presents a physical challenge.

T.L. not perfect for us. Great route runner with sudden burst and legit speed from anywhere. Versatile, smart, seems like a great kid. He runs precise routes, especially comebacks and curls. Once he gets a step deep he does a great job at "stacking" his man so only Lockett can make a play on the ball. Also shows great, lil, head and body fakesto create more separation on post and double moves.

Baldwin has really turned into a fine wr and like Lockett can run precise routes and also find soft spots in zone.

Graham is a physical mismatch and will command a double imo. You MUST get physical and touch him as close to the los as possible. Make him stop and start his routes and breaks as much as possible. I REALLY think Chung is the man here? I dont know i mean this seems like a great game and opponent to let him loose on. Of course he'd have help. I expect 3 S's on a lot of looks. Even after he gets off the line keep re routing him. Get in his face. Again make him know you're there all night.

And im keeping Dmc back deep bc Seattle just isnt a timing, long drive team right now. They have great speed everywhere and love hitting the deep ball off Wilson's scrambles.

Seattle wants to make it a physical game and i want, hope we take it to them in all aspects Sunday night. Their a very talented, dangerous team but right now, also vulnerable.

I think this 2016 group (Patriots) is head and shoulders, a cut above the league right now. Some health and continuity on offense and a tightened up defense and we could easily win # 5 in a league with about 5-6 good teams. A playoff bye increases odds big time and a win here is the first step in that direction.

GO PATS !!!

This will be a true test. Don't look at the buffalo game and try to compare it. O line need's to play well.

SEA has the best defense in football, it won't be easy and Brady might not have those big numbers he has shown so far. Our defense should be alright though as long as we somewhat contain Wilson from running around.

This should be great game. Which is a change from the ****ty product we've been getting this year and previous years for that matter.
A ton has changed but a lot remains the same with these two teams.

I have a lot of respect for Seattle and how they compete. And they've been there done that and won.

Biggest key for us, imo, is our defense vs their offense. Im certain we'll put up 26+ but can our defense rise to the challenge? Hold them under 23 and were almost unbeatable.

Our D has been pretty good this year and have a lot of talent and chemistry. Im hoping Matt uses Flowers a lot more. He was binky of mine and is full of motor. Perfect for this game. Sheard hasnt looked right all year and especially when he has to change direction. I want more Flowers, even if there from Carol.

Im hoping all our db's play physical and bring that from play one. I really want to see Ryan and Chung have a good game and this looks like a physical match up that might be what they need.

Patriots Offense / Seattle Defense

The Seahawks defense has struggled the last three games in several different areas. Injuries, t.o.p., 3rd % and their overall play has just been down. Whether Thomas (taking bad angles, missing tackles etc) or lack of pressure from the line, missing tackles, this defense has been on the field a ton and missing their best player. I think in the last 3 games, the defense has played 40 + mins in each game. Their aggression level has come down and they've missed some tackles they usually dont miss.

Bennett is actually still slightly underrated , which is a little surprising. Hes actually the closest thing their is to JJ Watt, in term s of versatility and disrupting from every spot across the front. Hes a great player and allows them to do a lot on defense. Missing him is a huge +++. Bennett and Avril really complement each other tremendously.

This game def starts up front imo bc if they cant get pressure without the blitz they'll have a ton of trouble keeping up with us. I think their going to play and stick with their traditional zone bc besides C.A. they havent applied any pressure. He really has a great great off and everything starts with his first step. From their he'll use his hands, mostly to slide across an opponents face or get to the loop.

Im picking on Lane any time I can, much like Arizona & the "anyone but Pat P" approach. Sherman can be had and he has trouble with guys like ours so im sure Brady will take a shot or 3 or 4 at him with some doubles and crossing patterns. But still remains a great boundary corner.

Anyway Lane really has trouble with out routes, posts and has trouble defending those quick outs, esp if its a bubble with some room. He will play without discipline and misses assignments every game whether its in the run/blitz game or in coverage.

Bobby and KJ are playing very well, esp Wagner but any time we get Coyle in coverage or space its a huge+++ for us. Hes just not built for playing any olb position imo bc of lack of athleticism. Really just a north/south hole hitter. Definitely not enough speed to keep up with anyone we have.

Shead, McCray, Lane and Coyle are all +++ match ups for us.

Again this defense has been on the field a ton. Missed tackles and intensity hasnt been there. Their also stuck between being picked apart no matter what they play, zone/ man or mix it, if they dont get pressure. And Bennett out is a huge for them in that area.
They can come with they blitz but Brady will hurt em quick and it could get out of hand real quick. Or stay in zone while we eat up clock and wear em out by the end of the 3rd.

Im so hoping we get to see a healthy Marty and Gronk bc its going to be fun. Unstoppable and just a nightmare for opposing defenses.

Gronk/Marty- They have no one to cover him. Hes been playkng himself into shape and looks better each week. Hes truly a top ten player including QB's. Legit HOF.
Marty is incredible in his own right and has shown what hes capable of here. An enormous guy, he can catch bubbles, go deep, shred the seam and is a walking 1st down with comebacks. Also a tremendous blocker as we've seem countless times this year.

James White and co. And by co I mean Foster, another favorite of mine and maybe Lewis. Although I hope we keep him out another week. All three are perfect complements here and really will accomplish several things.
1)Their gunna eat up a ton of space when we go spread

2)Force a team to tackle that hasnt done that well lately

3)Force a team to run and chase and go east/west after being on the field a ton the past few games

4) Keep LG fresh ... who hasnt been my favorite player, "ive described him as a "power back that doesnt run with power" at times but hes running great, for him, this year. We really need him to be decisive and use all of that weight this game.

Again the Hawks just got done playing a tough game against a team with a complex run game and looked worse for wear after the past games. Early, middle or late I just want to see some power here from him after the bye. Their DB's have made some "business decisions" lately so he'll feast on crows when he gets to the 2nd level.

Edelman and Hogan- Both are perfect match up wrs to move around here and Hogan should continue to make his timely contributions throughout the game. Hes such a nice weapon that puts this offense over the top, along with Bennett imo.

Patriots defense / Seattle's Offense

Most of the problems Seattle has on offense starts with line. Which imo has benefited from the "lighting in a bottle" duo of Lynch/Wilson. Another two guys who were absolutely perfect for each other.

Despite what many believe or think Seattle's line has never been great or even above in both the passing and running game. The problem is getting a spotlight on it bc on no Lynch, injuries to Wilson and lack filler at RB.

That line is "Miami" bad, (even tho the fins have been playing better as of late) and really a mess from top to bottom. Cable has had a ton of players come and go since hes been there and very little success with his zone blocking attack. An underrated, key aspect of this scheme is the chemistry and continuity the line has to have. At least most of the time and it def help the longer you stag together. Mostly bc it involves getting to the 2nd levsl quickly. Sometimesin doing so Seattle will ignore the 1st block completely just to get "ahead", except the play is already dead before they can make an impact there.

It actually wouldnt be that bad if they actually got something from the running back position. The pass blocking is bad but its tolerable with a healthy Wilson and effective run game.

Id really love to see Flowers on some twists up the middle. I love this guy. He just has that hunger right now and Im all for more snaps, even if Sheard sits some.

I know Bill will want to contain Wilson but some pressure up the middle, in general, is much need. Also this is a 100% Wilson. We have some very athletic guys that can chase and put a hurt on him.

Whether its Glowinski-Britt-Ifedi, i really think we can take advantage of this group. Be it Brown (!) or lining up some of our DE's inside we can create something here and still keep a watchful eye on Wilson and his escape routes with 54 and Roberts.

I think this could be a good game for our DB's as well and even get a TO. I think this will be a physical game and that plays to our strength with our personnel.

They really have a great trio in the rec game with Graham, Lockett and Baldwin. And obviously Kearse presents a physical challenge.

T.L. not perfect for us. Great route runner with sudden burst and legit speed from anywhere. Versatile, smart, seems like a great kid. He runs precise routes, especially comebacks and curls. Once he gets a step deep he does a great job at "stacking" his man so only Lockett can make a play on the ball. Also shows great, lil, head and body fakesto create more separation on post and double moves.

Baldwin has really turned into a fine wr and like Lockett can run precise routes and also find soft spots in zone.

Graham is a physical mismatch and will command a double imo. You MUST get physical and touch him as close to the los as possible. Make him stop and start his routes and breaks as much as possible. I REALLY think Chung is the man here? I dont know i mean this seems like a great game and opponent to let him loose on. Of course he'd have help. I expect 3 S's on a lot of looks. Even after he gets off the line keep re routing him. Get in his face. Again make him know you're there all night.

And im keeping Dmc back deep bc Seattle just isnt a timing, long drive team right now. They have great speed everywhere and love hitting the deep ball off Wilson's scrambles.

Seattle wants to make it a physical game and i want, hope we take it to them in all aspects Sunday night. Their a very talented, dangerous team but right now, also vulnerable.

I think this 2016 group (Patriots) is head and shoulders, a cut above the league right now. Some health and continuity on offense and a tightened up defense and we could easily win # 5 in a league with about 5-6 good teams. A playoff bye increases odds big time and a win here is the first step in that direction.

GO PATS !!!

tl;dr

I watched a little bit of the Bills/Seahawks game the other night and am convinced the Pats are going to blitz the A and B gaps more than they have in the previous weeks. I still think they will play contain on the edges to keep Wilson in the pocket but his mobility, even though it is better than it was earlier in the season, is still not where it should be. I think they'll execute a game plan like they used to with Tebow against him. The 5-techs will still play contain as their primary responsibility while the LB's will disguise who rushes on third downs to try to force Wilson to make some throws off his back foot. Either way, the team can't just let him sit in the pocket (as I'm sure they'll find out early on during the "feeling out" period that Belichick's defenses usually go through early on in games) or Baldwin and Graham will kill them downfield. I also don't think Belichick will respect the run at all. Expect a lot of nickel and dime early on until the Seahawks prove they can move the ball on the ground against that alignment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes