PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Curran: Sources made 'clear to me' decision to move on from Belichick made after Germany game

How do you explain what has happened with the LA Rams?

They won the Super Bowl 2 years ago and have been bad for 2 seasons.

The Patriots loaded a lot of contracts and took dead cap hits in 2020. Thats the reality no matter how anyone tries to deny it

You legit ignored half my post about the bad drafting being the root cause.

Had we been able to draft replacements for those ageing expensive players we may not have gotten here.

How do you think we went from the first dynasty to the second? And we're able to just move on from guys like Chandler Jones, vereen, woodhead etc. when their contracts came up. It was identifying replacements so that when it came time to pony up you have a yount replacement ready to step in and perform.

We haven't had good drafts on offense since maybe a decade ago...so guys aged out with no replacements. Instead forcing bill to go overpay on the open market for marginal talent.

You aren't finding "elite guys" in free agency. You do it in the draft. Gronk. Was the last pro bowl skill position players he's drafted that's 13 years ago.

Totally went over his head.
He turned "the league sucks" into a topic he probably has been wound up about for a few years; "the Patriots suck and I like a different team now."
In fact, it it weren't for the Patriots (good or bad) I'd have quit watching completely by now. I've seen this act before though. Twist an opinion into one that you want to argue against.
I know how you feel. I went through the same thing with MLB and eventually stopped watching in 99. I really don't miss it.

I know how you feel. I went through the same thing with MLB and eventually stopped watching in 99. I really don't miss it.
Funny, I just deleted that post as I really don't want to be offensive, but you captured it. Haha

Had we been able to draft replacements for those ageing expensive players we may not have gotten here.

How do you think we went from the first dynasty to the second? And we're able to just move on from guys like Chandler Jones, vereen, woodhead etc. when their contracts came up. It was identifying replacements so that when it came time to pony up you have a yount replacement ready to step in and perform.

We haven't had good drafts on offense since maybe a decade ago...so guys aged out with no replacements. Instead forcing bill to go overpay on the open market for marginal talent.

You aren't finding "elite guys" in free agency. You do it in the draft. Gronk. Was the last pro bowl skill position players he's drafted that's 13 years ago.
I didn't ignore it. I think it's pie-in-the-sky to think the good fortune goes on forever. Every team cycles.

The Patriots cycled in 2008, 2009, 2010 when the old vets like Bruschi and Rodney Harrison left the team, they missed the playoffs one year, they went 10-6 when Brady came back.

Having that great QB allowed them to rebound, but go back and look at the roster. It was overhauled.

Bad drafts happen to every team. Look around. Not to mention the low drafting in the 1st round, the lack of draft picks from fines, etc.

He made a bad pick with Harry. OK, now look at all the WR busts that happen in the 1st round every year. You act like this isn't common. AND, just like the Rams, teams that are competing for the Super Bowl sometimes sell out the future by ensuring the best shot at a SB.

Here's a prime example: trading a 2nd rounder for Sanu because your QB is crying and moaning about cutting Antonio Brown. You've just sold out the future with that move.

This is why you HAVE TO stick to the plan.

This team has talent. They are missing at KEY positions, QB makes a world of difference.

Last edited:
This is why you HAVE TO stick to the plan.
So BB is just allowed to have bad drafts over and over again for 5+ years and ignore positions of need?

I mean, okay, if you want the team to be mired in mediocrity or worse until he retires. The system doesn't work anymore...or it doesn't work without a HoF level QB to cover up for mistakes/busts.

Hill obviously makes any QB better , but Tua has developed well and is very accurate with the ball.

Kinda goes to show what obtaining top level talent can do for an offence.

he's that until his receivers timing is thrown off, a la early 2000's rams, or until he sees just a little pressure, and then he reverts right back to the tua we knew his first couple of years in the league.....tua is NOT a QB that make make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, he, and by extension that offense, are built for october championships, not real ones.......when they face good teams with offensive and defensive balance, when they play in cold weather or in games that really count, tua's not going to fold, he's just going to remind us exactly who he is.......an athletically gifted QB who, under perfect conditions, can excel.......but not so much when the weight of the world is on his shoulders

Don't fool yourself, Jonathan Kraft is a bright dude. And definitely more brash than his old man.
I have no doubt that Jonathan Kraft is very bright. But I don’t think he has any more insight as to how to assemble a winning football team , including hiring a head coach or a GM, than his father…. Given how draft-dependent the process is.

What process? We aren't building towards anything.

If anything just been going downhill each year and the talent getting worse.

Bill has had 4 years, let's say 3 since Brady left and reset in 2020. And it's only been downhill each year. Take the QB play out of it and what young budding talent do you see this roster filled with waiting to break out?
if they found a Burrow level QB instead of Mac, they'd have made the playoff every season since 2021 and be competing now for the AFC.

What team is dominating the AFC right now?

The process stalled, was delayed with the Mac pick, but that doesn't change the process.

Find a Burrow level QB.

I have no doubt that Jonathan Kraft is very bright. But I don’t think he has any more insight as to how to assemble a winning football team , including hiring a head coach or a GM, than his father…. Given how draft-dependent the process is.

I wouldn't expect an owner to have that kind of expert knowledge. What I want from an owner is (A) a serious desire to win and (B) the brains to determine who should be hired to make that happen. The latter would involve fundamental knowledge of how successful organizations operate and where to seek advice on applying that to an NFL team.

I guess you guys are right that TB!2 didnt win us those super bows. He is just so ordinary. It was all BB.

Last edited:

It's what he does. He posts his homer takes then doesn't want to back up any of his nonsense when challenged.

I guess you guys are right that TB!2 didnt win us those super bows. He is just so ordinary.
TB12 - in the early years - did both what he was asked but also didn't turn it over and didn't freeze in big moments. The latter part was key, because they don't win both the Raiders game or the Rams game without that.

I said this in another post, but you can't penalize Brady for the fact he wasn't asked to do much early on, yet he still did what he was asked, including when it counted most. As much as I defended Jones, he never went out and just executed for 60 minutes. Without a guy who can do what they're supposed to do for an entire game week-after-week, it's hard to win just on defense. At the same time, if this offense even played like it did in 2021, they'd potentially have 10 wins right now and be poised for a playoff run.

Either way, that guy is seemingly gone, and having a viable QB who can handle the big stage makes all the difference in the world. The good ones can get you to January. The better ones get you through it, and that's who Brady started out as, and he became great the longer his career went.

TB12 - in the early years - did both what he was asked but also didn't turn it over and didn't freeze in big moments. The latter part was key, because they don't win both the Raiders game or the Rams game without that.

I said this in another post, but you can't penalize Brady for the fact he wasn't asked to do much early on, yet he still did what he was asked, including when it counted most. As much as I defended Jones, he never went out and just executed for 60 minutes. Without a guy who can do what they're supposed to do for an entire game week-after-week, it's hard to win just on defense. At the same time, if this offense even played like it did in 2021, they'd potentially have 10 wins right now and be poised for a playoff run.

Either way, that guy is seemingly gone, and having a viable QB who can handle the big stage makes all the difference in the world. The good ones can get you to January. The better ones get you through it, and that's who Brady started out as, and he became great the longer his career went.

You guys are mmuch smarter than me. I am an idiot. Bill has won so much without TB lol.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back