PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Curran speculates on if Mac Jones will get Downgraded to third string

I have been chasing this same line of thinking for a few weeks too. I firmly believe Kraft handcuffed Bill with Mac and forced BOB on him because Mac convinced him that Patricia “screwed everything up” and if they just brought BOB in and went back to the old scheme then everything would be perfect again. Bill said that definitely won’t happen, Kraft said do it. So Bill said well, I’m not spending a ton of resources on what will probably be a **** year. Lo and behold Mac still sucked, Patricia didn’t **** up his mechanics or make him forget how to see pressure or go through his reads. Mac is just bad.
Hard to argue against this. Your absolutely right BOB was an ownership hire. Looking back at it. Last season was better. I would take last season.. but I'm glad it's happening the way it's happening now. This is what it took to get the change that needed to be made. The patriots way of business of old no longer works, the bad contracts, hire friends, and buddies rather than qualified people who actually played the position they are coaching. Based on RKs comments he was convinced BOB would be the solution. As Jules has said Mac's not playing with any confidence. I thought after the Buffalo win he'd be a different QB.

Fo
There definitely seems to be some bitterness towards the organization (probably Bill) but I don't really get why. Unless he is bent out of shape about Bill trying to trade him to Detroit I don't know where his resentment would come from. He won a few rings here and basically engineered his exit perfectly for himself and won another ing down in Tampa. Maybe Gronk really didn't like not being able to display his full personality here but I didn't see much difference in that here vs Tampa. He seemed to be the same guy there he was here.
it wasn’t a big secret that Gronk was unhappy here towards the end. He outright said he went to Tampa because Tom told him “football is fun again”. I know it’s been a thorn on here, but Gronk supposedly lost a lot of faith and trust in Bill after the SB loss to the Eagles. There’s a reason he took a year off and announced he was coming back at a time where it would completely screw our cap and he pretty much got to dictate a trade on his terms. He still wanted to play. He still wanted to play with Brady. He didn’t want to do it here with Bill.

So it shouldn’t be all that shocking that he isn’t exactly the biggest Belichick guy.

There definitely seems to be some bitterness towards the organization (probably Bill) but I don't really get why. Unless he is bent out of shape about Bill trying to trade him to Detroit I don't know where his resentment would come from. He won a few rings here and basically engineered his exit perfectly for himself and won another ing down in Tampa. Maybe Gronk really didn't like not being able to display his full personality here but I didn't see much difference in that here vs Tampa. He seemed to be the same guy there he was here.
Who knows. Might be a beef he still has about how his health has been handled by the team, contract stuff, suppressing his brand, etc.

It's telling how JE, Sweet Feet, Tom and others have had post-career acknowledgments by the franchise but not Gronk. While there seems to be an issue Gronk has with the team there is also an issue the Krafts have with him.

Hard to argue against this. You’re absolutely right BOB was an ownership hire. Looking back at it. Last season was better. I would take last season.. but I'm glad it's happening the way it's happening now. This is what it took to get the change that needed to be made. The patriots way of business of old no longer works, the bad contracts, hire friends, and buddies rather than qualified people who actually played the position they are coaching. Based on RKs comments he was convinced BOB would be the solution. As Jules has said Mac's not playing with any confidence. I thought after the Buffalo win he'd be a different QB.
I don’t really agree with this. Patricia was pretty much done for after last season. It was probably the most criticized decision of Bill’s career and pretty much everyone speculated BOB was the safe Bill Belichick hire. Same with the idea that Kraft forced Mac on Bill. Bill played passive in the draft and Mac was the 5th QB taken who fell to him. That doesn’t seem like a GM who had a QB forced on him. It seems like a GM who was content taking whatever fell to him.

This just seems like a way to absolve Bill of decisions

Last edited:
Regarding Gronk and Gronk inc they hate BB.

Gronk wanted to show up, play, have fun

He did not like the practice and the patriot way and all that came with it

I am contemplating if Curran has morphed into a schill.

I don’t really agree with this. Patricia was pretty much done for after last season. It was probably the most criticized decision of Bill’s career and pretty much everyone speculated BOB was the safe Bill Belichick hire. Same with the idea that Kraft forced Mac on Bill. Bill player passive in the draft and Mac was the 5th QB taken who tell to him. That doesn’t seem like a GM who had a QB forced on him. It seems like a GM who was content taking whatever fell to him.

Yeah, seems they're trying to make sense and weave a story out of the little facts we know, someday someone might write a book and we'll know the true story of the last 23 years, right now it's nothing but guessing.

I don’t really agree with this. Patricia was pretty much done for after last season. It was probably the most criticized decision of Bill’s career and pretty much everyone speculated BOB was the safe Bill Belichick hire. Same with the idea that Kraft forced Mac on Bill. Bill player passive in the draft and Mac was the 5th QB taken who tell to him. That doesn’t seem like a GM who had a QB forced on him. It seems like a GM who was content taking whatever fell to him.

I agree. I'm just alluding to that fact. The position we where in as opposed to this season. It never got 2-8 bad is what I'm saying. Not by any stretch am I saying Patricia was a qualified OC. Mac and the team has to play and try to win in spite. Mac wasn't forced at all. As RK said it was a collaboration on the draft since RK publicly stated it hadn't been good. However your right BB put this roster together he signs off on every single roster decision.

Another potential point of contention (and yes, this is something I thought of on my own)....

What good quarterback would even WANT to come here if Belichick's still around? Veterans saw how he treated Tom towards the end. Incoming rookies saw how poorly he handled Mac. I can absolutely see top QB draft talent saying 'anywhere but New England' as long as Belichick's coaching here.

Another potential point of contention (and yes, this is something I thought of on my own)....

What good quarterback would even WANT to come here if Belichick's still around? Veterans saw how he treated Tom towards the end. Incoming rookies saw how poorly he handled Mac. I can absolutely see top QB draft talent saying 'anywhere but New England' as long as Belichick's coaching here.
Well, you have your first clue when the rumor was Matt Stafford said “anywhere but NE”.

Tom Curran speculation production…

That's all these threads are. Ways to absolve bill of any criticism when ultimately the team built was by him.

Mac may always have fallen off a cliff and been a bad QB just like many other prospects have in the past it's not unheard of.

But fans are using that to excuse all Bills poor decisions. Well Mac would've always been bad so no fault on Bill!

Hiring a DC/special teams coach instead of ANYONE who has ran an offense before is just baffling.

Reaching on guys in the draft (who end up as expected busts) and shortchanging the offense for years putting together "stink stank stunk".

I'm out on Mac, he's done here. BUT do fans really think the team is gonna go anywhere with a new QB prospect if this is how they are handled?

Or will we be back in 3 years for another rebuild?

Veterans will come for the most money, rookies will come if drafted. It's professional sports.

That's all these threads are. Ways to absolve bill of any criticism when ultimately the team built was by him.

Mac may always have fallen off a cliff and been a bad QB just like many other prospects have in the past it's not unheard of.

But fans are using that to excuse all Bills poor decisions. Well Mac would've always been bad so no fault on Bill!

Hiring a DC/special teams coach instead of ANYONE who has ran an offense before is just baffling.

Reaching on guys in the draft (who end up as expected busts) and shortchanging the offense for years putting together "stink stank stunk".

I'm out on Mac, he's done here. BUT do fans really think the team is gonna go anywhere with a new QB prospect if this is how they are handled?

Or will we be back in 3 years for another rebuild?
Yeah, BB has complete lost it.

Remember during the dynasty days when 100% of the draft picks worked out and free agent signings earned every penny?

Those were the days…

Last edited:
Gronk wanted to show up, play, have fun

He did not like the practice and the patriot way and all that came with it
I'm pretty sure Bill didn't pull a Don Corleone on him when contract time came so that's on him.

Who knows. Might be a beef he still has about how his health has been handled by the team, contract stuff, suppressing his brand, etc.

It's telling how JE, Sweet Feet, Tom and others have had post-career acknowledgments by the franchise but not Gronk. While there seems to be an issue Gronk has with the team there is also an issue the Krafts have with him.
Definitely some good points. I am sure he wasn't thrilled to have broken his arm blocking on an extra point and even less thrilled with the ensuing staph infection after the surgery in addition to the back issues throughout his career.

As for a potential rift between Gronk and the Krafts I can see that as well. When Gronk retired the first time he talked about how much pain he was in after games and how he could barely walk and at one point suffered from internal bleeding. Then later that year Kraft was openly lobbying for Gronk to come back for the playoff run in 2019 which obviously didn't happen only for Gronk to return and basically force his way out in 2020.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back