PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Update: Curran says Belichick has been on the hot seat since 2019

So far Mahomes has won all his rings while on his rookie deal or while still benefitting from that low cap hit.

I get the point you're trying to make, but this is revionist history. Last year, Mahomes cap hit was around 35M. He won 1 Super Bowl while on his rookie deal, 1 under his 10-year deal that made him the highest paid player un NFL history (at the time if signature).

I get the point you're trying to make, but this is revionist history. Last year, Mahomes cap hit was around 35M. He won 1 Super Bowl while on his rookie deal, 1 under his 10-year deal that made him the highest paid player un NFL history (at the time if signature).
It’s not “revisionist history.” Last year was the first year they had to account for his cap hit, they had to trade Tyreek Hill away.

Over the next few year’s his cap hit goes from 39.6 to 46.7 to 48.7… do you think signing all their best players is going to get easier or harder?

Also I don’t get why you’re arguing this at all, because it’s not even an argument. A QB taking up 1-2% of the cap is a lot easier than dealing with them taking up 20-25% of the cap.

It makes it easier to sign your own free agents, it makes it easier to stockpile depth behind your starters. This is just common sense math.

Brady was negotiating with Miami after he already made his mind to leave the Patriots. The terms don't scream of someone who wants out, the terms scream of someone who thought he could still be a top 8 QB in the league or so, which 25 million a year guaranteed indicated. Bill wasn't willing to go there, and he wasn't willing to take less to stay. That's it. I mean, Belichick very clearly didn't want to give him an extension, I don't know how you could believe otherwise. It's just understandable that he didn't. 3/75 extension coming off the 2017 Super Bowl and Tom retires a Patriot. It's very defensible to argue that was too much money guaranteed for a player his age, it's indefensible to argue that wouldn't have been enough for him to stay.
I really want a Lamborghini, but with a wife and kids to think about I really can’t afford one. Does that mean I don’t want a Lamborghini?

It’s not “revisionist history.” Last year was the first year they had to account for his cap hit, they had to trade Tyreek Hill away.

Over the next few year’s his cap hit goes from 39.6 to 46.7 to 48.7… do you think signing all their best players is going to get easier or harder?

Also I don’t get why you’re arguing this at all, because it’s not even an argument. A QB taking up 1-2% of the cap is a lot easier than dealing with them taking up 20-25% of the cap.

It makes it easier to sign your own free agents, it makes it easier to stockpile depth behind your starters. This is just common sense math.

It absolutely is revisionist history. You said this:

So far Mahomes has won all his rings while on his rookie deal or while still benefitting from that low cap hit.

...and it's incorrect. Mahomes won 2 rings, one under a rookie deal, one under an enormous contract. So (1) he didn't win all of his rings while on a rookie deal and (2) last year he had the 2nd highest cap hit in the league after Tannenhill.

You got that wrong, but hey, it's not like you to states things incorrectly to try to make a point.

It absolutely is revisionist history. You said this:

...and it's incorrect. Mahomes won 2 rings, one under a rookie deal, one under an enormous contract. So (1) he didn't win all of his rings while on a rookie deal and (2) last year he had the 2nd highest cap hit in the league after Tannenhill.

You got that wrong, but hey, it's not like you to states things incorrectly to try to make a point.
That’s why I specifically said “while still benefitting from that low cap hit.”

If a team like the Bengals knows they have to sign Joe Burrow they can sign all the players they want to keep around him now on massive deals and front load them so they know they’ll have the cap available down the road.

Again, taking a one year snap shot of the cap is not really a clear vision of what is happening. I was warning for years in advance that the Rams method was not sustainable, that debt accrues and it would all catch up to them. The cap is crap deniers all laughed and said “look the Rams are winning.” Where are the Rams now?

Don’t get me wrong, Andy Reid did the right thing not paying Tyreek that massive deal… the Rams simply would have paid him. But Andy will have to hit on all those draft picks he got back for Tyreek to be successful in the future, he’ll need that cheap rookie talent. If he doesn’t though, the Chiefs couldn’t nose dive pretty quickly.

Oh yeah, and Chris Jones wants a new contract right now…

Last edited:
That’s why I specifically said “while still benefitting from that low cap hit.”

2nd highest cap hit in the league last year. You know, the exact opposite of 'low cap hit'. Google it up...

Again, taking a one year snap shot of the cap is not really a clear vision of what is happening. I was warning for years in advance that the Rams method was not sustainable, that debt accrues and it would all catch up to them. The cap is crap deniers all laughed and said “look the Rams are winning.” Where are the Rams now?

You're not comparing apples to apples. The Rams traded a lot of draft assets as well as giving huge contracts. The Chiefs are not doing that.

I really want a Lamborghini, but with a wife and kids to think about I really can’t afford one. Does that mean I don’t want a Lamborghini?
25 million a year isn't Lamborghini money for a Quarterback, this makes absolutely zero sense.

2nd highest cap hit in the league last year. You know, the exact opposite of 'low cap hit'. Google it up...
Yeah, I qualified that in my initial post.
You're not comparing apples to apples. The Rams traded a lot of draft assets as well as giving huge contracts. The Chiefs are not doing that.
I said that also…

25 million a year isn't Lamborghini money for a Quarterback, this makes absolutely zero sense.
If you know the 2020 roster is going to suck royally, then it’s like buying a Lamborghini and parking it in the trailer park.

His continued mismanagement of the roster on offense has been the biggest indictment. I remain fine with him as our coach but at this stage his management of the roster ought to be largely diminished, if not entirely transferred to a general manager. And if he can’t accept that, it is probably time to part ways.

He had four years to improve the offense and failed. We’ll be hard pressed to be a competitive playoff team without a substantial change there.

His continued mismanagement of the roster on offense has been the biggest indictment. I remain fine with him as our coach but at this stage his management of the roster ought to be largely diminished, if not entirely transferred to a general manager. And if he can’t accept that, it is probably time to part ways.

He had four years to improve the offense and failed. We’ll be hard pressed to be a competitive playoff team without a substantial change there.

its our 4th year in the rebuild and who can you really say on offense anyone who can be a core piece to build around that will be here in 2-3 years? there isn't any. maybe Mac Jones if he rebuilds his value and Rham. but its questionable whether Bill would even pay them because he hates paying the market rate. Thornton looks like a bust since the patriots were looking at jets throwaways like mims

He actually did improve the O. Went from 6th worst to 6th best. Last year a lot of things went wrong and they ended up mid pack. And that is with a LOT of things blowing up - MP, Smith, Agolor and just a lot of bad energy. And even with all that crap they were one play away from being a playoff team.

So as much as this is all frustrating WRT drafts, coaching choices, bonehead plays and no playoff wins, it seemed to be heading in the right direction.

Thornton looks like a bust since the patriots were looking at jets throwaways like mims
Can we let the kid play a real snap of football in his second season before calling him a bust? The Pats are looking for some depth and low risk/high reward guys at the position. Nothing to see there.

There have been 3 seasons since Brady left not 4.
No one could have improved the offense from 2019 to 2020 because there was no cap room to do it with.
In 2021 they were the 6th highest scoring offense. They took a step back last year and no doubt will improve this year.

Lot of idiots here. It’s embarrassing

Brady did not want to be here for good reason. He had been getting paid less than fair market value for years and never complained in public.
What reward did he get for this? He was treated like shi* by the genius. BB messed up because he did not believe Brady could play well into his 40's so he lowballed him. He should not have been taking with Miami, but his frustration is completely understandable.
Kraft also bears responsibility for not seeing Brady's dis satisfaction with his treatment coming from a mile a way and not making sure he was paid what he should have been and also treated with respect. Kraft chose BB over Brady and this has proven to be a very bad decision.

Brady went on to play at top tier level for 3 more years, while Bill has driven this franchise into the cesspool of mediocrity (at best) and irrelevancy.
Get out of the heat right now, Sam. Your delusion about the Brady departure is a clear indication of heat stroke. Do you remember at all the Pats cap situation at the end of 2019? Do your remember the roster situation? So let me ask you, Did you think the Pats were just a QB away from a superbowl run in 2020 with the roster we saw that year, even with Brady at QB. And how much worse would it have been if we had spent $25MM on the QB position than than the $1MM we ended up investing. Who else would have had to go?

But you ARE right, Brady had every right to demand $25MM. He was worth it and probably more, but for the Pats in THEIR roster and cap situation it was an untenable position.. One that anyone should have seen. First being Tom Brady, and that is just ONE of the reasons the MYTH that Brady was forced out is so ridiculous.

About the only thing I could complain about Brady's departure was dropping the franchise tag for him. It was probably the right thing to do for a guy who was so important to the franchise, BUT it wasn't the best thing for the team. If they had a franchise threat they probably could have gotten at least a 2nd day pick from whatever team signed him. I don't think they would have played hard ball with him, but at least they could have wound up with something

BTW- Brady, IIRC after he signed his contract in 2011 or 12 was the highest paid QB in the league for several years until Rodgers contract surpassed him. And Brady wasn't lowballed here, there just wasn't the money to pay him unless you FURTHER stripped the roster. Brady never demanded the MOST money, but to keep up the myth that he wasn't paid well is just a lie.

Brady leaving was the inevidible result of a 5 year, all in run that led to 4 superbowls which led to the roster decline, Brady's age and his family situation. The rest was media drama. Even I have to admit it's much juicier story the way you want to tell it.

Lot of idiots here. It’s embarrassing
I don’t think it’s necessarily idiocy. I think it’s a reaction to being jilted. If you read a lot of the Brady commentary they don’t just love what he did on the field, they feel obligated to defend his character, personality and honor. He loves them. So he couldn’t have just wanted to leave. He had to be forced out. And therefore since 2 men were most responsible for success, you must tear down the character, personality and honor of the other, blame him for “forcing” Brady to leave and curl up in the safe space that loves you and would never leave you except that big meanie forced him out.

Get out of the heat right now, Sam. Your delusion about the Brady departure is a clear indication of heat stroke. Do you remember at all the Pats cap situation at the end of 2019? Do your remember the roster situation? So let me ask you, Did you think the Pats were just a QB away from a superbowl run in 2020 with the roster we saw that year, even with Brady at QB. And how much worse would it have been if we had spent $25MM on the QB position than than the $1MM we ended up investing. Who else would have had to go?

But you ARE right, Brady had every right to demand $25MM. He was worth it and probably more, but for the Pats in THEIR roster and cap situation it was an untenable position.. One that anyone should have seen. First being Tom Brady, and that is just ONE of the reasons the MYTH that Brady was forced out is so ridiculous.

About the only thing I could complain about Brady's departure was dropping the franchise tag for him. It was probably the right thing to do for a guy who was so important to the franchise, BUT it wasn't the best thing for the team. If they had a franchise threat they probably could have gotten at least a 2nd day pick from whatever team signed him. I don't think they would have played hard ball with him, but at least they could have wound up with something

BTW- Brady, IIRC after he signed his contract in 2011 or 12 was the highest paid QB in the league for several years until Rodgers contract surpassed him. And Brady wasn't lowballed here, there just wasn't the money to pay him unless you FURTHER stripped the roster. Brady never demanded the MOST money, but to keep up the myth that he wasn't paid well is just a lie.

Brady leaving was the inevidible result of a 5 year, all in run that led to 4 superbowls which led to the roster decline, Brady's age and his family situation. The rest was media drama. Even I have to admit it's much juicier story the way you want to tell it.
It makes no sense that the tag was a gift. Brady had to have demanded it, and considering they gave him an $8,000,000 raise, and an option to void the added years, knowing now that he was actively allowing Miami to tamper while that contract was being negotiated (plus making uncharacteristic negative comments to the press and sitting out OTAs) it seems to me removing the tag was do it or I holdout ultimatum.

It makes no sense that the tag was a gift. Brady had to have demanded it, and considering they gave him an $8,000,000 raise, and an option to void the added years, knowing now that he was actively allowing Miami to tamper while that contract was being negotiated (plus making uncharacteristic negative comments to the press and sitting out OTAs) it seems to me removing the tag was do it or I holdout ultimatum.
...AND another sign that Brady knew he was going to be leaving after the 2019 season. The rationalizations of the Brady was pushed out crowd gets thinner and thinner, and yet they persist. Only goes to show that when the truth isn't as good as the narrative....print the narrative.

...AND another sign that Brady knew he was going to be leaving after the 2019 season. The rationalizations of the Brady was pushed out crowd gets thinner and thinner, and yet they persist. Only goes to show that when the truth isn't as good as the narrative....print the narrative.
The Brady was forced to leave mantra started immediately and has come to be accepted as fact by the council of the miserable but if you ask for evidence of that yiu getting nothing but conjecture, misinformation and feelings.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back