PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Very sad news: RIP Joker

Damn. I'll miss his great rants. He was at his best during the whole Deflategate BS.

His last post was in the thread about Zappe being cut and was typical Joker...
welp...UGH!! UGH UGH UGH UGH UGH....in fact, I don't have enough UGHs to stick down the throats of you UGH emoji know-it-alls...I saw this coming and was vilified for it...well...SCREW YOU MR. UGH....

:)

I was wondering why Joker (alias "Joe Kerr") hadn't posted in a while, especially in the "Jets Suck" thread after Aaron Rodgers went down. (Folks here will remember Joker was fond of calling him "Discount Double Dork.") After leaving phone messages followed by some Internet searching tonight it didn't take long to discover the sad news he has passed on. He was only 72.

I considered Jeff a friend, we attended several Patriots games together. We last spoke briefly by phone in early August; he was coughing and complained of symptoms from long-Covid. I had no idea how serious it was as he'd been in and out of treatment several years for respiratory issues. He once told me, "My doctor said, 'You're fat! You need to walk every day whether you want to or not!'" Whenever I checked in with him he assured me he was taking walks and doing well.

Of course, "J.O." liked to eat and the times we tailgated he'd always volunteer, "I'll bring shrimp!" He frequented a gourmet deli near his Rhode Island home that stocked the biggest shrimp obtainable. What a guy he was -- tall, heavy set, usually laughing and/or ranting a purple streak about someone or something. His rants smacked of manic stand-up comedy and invariably had me in stitches.

Like me he had abidingly "old-school" perspectives on sports and of course, loved the Patriots. We saw eye-to-eye on most things, including enmity for the despicable Jete. A few years ago -- I think it was during the pandemic -- I took time off from posting during a down period with little energy or enthusiasm for mustering another "Jets Suck" annual thread kickoff. In an uncharacteristically kind and gentle way, Jeff phoned me a couple times to share how much the thread meant to him and a few other diehards. Without his persistent nudges it probably would have ended then and there.

Jeff was one of a kind, at least to me. He attended the original Woodstock festival, graduated from Boston University, played guitar, never married but loved the ladies and lived alone in a mobile home with his pet cat. He was widely traveled.

Whenever someone passes on, the usual sentiment is "RIP" -- rest in peace. I never have liked that. I prefer to think our souls are on a continuum, the next plane of existence brimming with love, exuberance, fellowship and adventure, free of physical pain or limitation. So have fun up there, J.O. Jeffy. And remember to save us some shrimp!

Thanks for posting this Tunes. So sad to hear. Back around 2015 I had cause to reach out to Jeff. We shared some stories and tried to lift each other during difficult times. He shared an old saying that his Dad used always say when life got rough
"Here's to a fellow who smiles
When life runs along like a song.
And here's to the lad who can smile
When everything goes dead wrong"

"Suaimhneas síoraí Jeff agus lig do d'anam aníos"

Oh man, what a tough bit of news to read this morning.

RIP, Jeff.

Devastated to see this news. Probably the single greatest honor I have had as a member of this forum is when Jeff chose to use a quote of mine in his signature. Of course it was from one of my rants about the local sports media. He was always so kind to me with “likes” and the occasional supportive message. He knew that I am going through a very tough time in my life right now and the couple or so times we traded messages he was a font of wisdom. Our lives were different in many respects but we seemed to see a lot of things quite similarly regarding the Patriots and life in general

Kol Hakovod (all the honor) and Zichrono Livrakha (may his memory be a blessing) to you Mr. O’Neil, I will miss you terribly

Surreal... feels like he's been a vocal staple of this board for as long as I've been a member. Weird to think about this place going forward without his rants. RIP my friend. You will be missed. I'll toast to you tonight, and if (from wherever you're watching the games now) you could nudge a Dolphins field goal kick a little wide, we'll all tip a cap to your effort.

One of the best forum members, period. Great rants, loved the team, didn't suffer fools, and had a John Wick-like hatred of Roger Goodell..."Joe Kerr" was a great man. I am very sorry to hear this.

Patsfans suffers without him, but I have a feeling Goodell will suffer more, now that Joker is not bound by time and space.

Fair winds and following seas, you legend.

Tune
Your info was very very sad...
As you know we met all 3 after a game at Gillette and i remember that moment very well...it was a pleasure met you 2
So sad

Dear Joker riposa in pace...che la terra ti sia lieve amico...

A bad day...a true Patriot fan is missed

a sad moment for our community

Last edited:
He is a staple and an institution of this board. Definitely a big loss here. Sad to see it. Thank you so much @Tunescribe for the beautiful post, I’m sure he would have appreciated it, but then also chastised you for it. RIP the one and only @Joker.

Joker was a regular on here….most of the time we agreed which is cool! The group will miss him as will the Patriots fan base and I’m sure his community and family. God bless and RIP

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back