PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vikings working out 5 year extension with Jefferson [possibly fake?]

Love The Drake

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Vikings working out 5 year 150 million deal with Jefferson with 75 million fully guaranteed.

I never bought into the rumors/wishful thinking that Minnesota would trade Jefferson.

Why would they trade up to obtain a good QB - and then trade their best WR away? That makes no sense.

If the Vikings were a team in shambles, devoid of talent and in full rebuild mode - then sure, trade away your best player in order to help upgrade multiple other positions. But that is not the case with Minnesota's roster. All they need is at minimum a middle of the road, competent QB to be a playoff team.

I never bought into the rumors/wishful thinking that Minnesota would trade Jefferson.

Why would they trade up to obtain a good QB - and then trade their best WR away? That makes no sense.

If the Vikings were a team in shambles, devoid of talent and in full rebuild mode - then sure, trade away your best player in order to help upgrade multiple other positions. But that is not the case with Minnesota's roster. All they need is at minimum a middle of the road, competent QB to be a playoff team.
The Jefferson trade made more sense to me if they kept Cousins on big money and couldn't afford Jefferson. Once they were in the running for a rookie QB it didn't really make a lot of sense to trade away one of the best WRs in football to support that QB.

The Jefferson trade made more sense to me if they kept Cousins on big money and couldn't afford Jefferson. Once they were in the running for a rookie QB it didn't really make a lot of sense to trade away one of the best WRs in football to support that QB.
Yeah it was a pipe dream.

If we were going to pay Ridley 22 I’d be more than happy to pay 30.

I wouldn’t have paid Ridley 22 million, I don’t think he’s worth more than 12-13 a year. Overall I think WR’s are getting grossly overpaid. And I think using that much cap space for pretty much any position other than QB doesn’t make a lot of sense. There are exceptions of course, and I can see people seeing Jefferson as just that, but I don’t. Especially for a team that doesn’t look like a contender over the next couple of seasons.

I'd rather overpay and elite QB than an elite WR

Elite quarterbacks are now playing well into their late 30’s, some even longer, WR’s, CB’s and RB’s fall off sharply at 29 or sooner. You just can’t run like 22 year olds when you are 32, unless you are Darrell Green, but that’s as rare as it gets. Jefferson is 24, so he might be able to fulfill his contract, but it’s still a rarity.

Teams overpaying mediocre to good players are ruining the FA market.

I called $30M per year for Jefferson, but $75M guaranteed? That’s almost $25M more than what Tyrek got.

Too injury prone. Bad investment.

Great when healthy, though.

I called $30M per year for Jefferson, but $75M guaranteed? That’s almost $25M more than what Tyrek got.

I thought they guaranteed the whole thing?

You never know. It might look like a reasonable contract in a few years, although I did hear the guys on PFF say that the league may be reaching the inflection point on WR salaries given the amount of very good WR talent available in the draft the last few years.

Jefferson is a prime example. The Vikes let Diggs go and backfilled him with a better receiver in Jefferson.

The Titans gambled an lost letting AJ Brown go and trying to replace him with Treylon Burks. Now they've thrown down serious cash on two veterans, DHop and Riddley, something they can do with Levis under a rookie contract. They need to know if he's the guy now.

I'd rather overpay an elite QB than an elite WR
The history of free agent quarterbacks is not a very good one. For the most part teams will bend over backwards to keep their quarterbacks so the guys who hit F A are the ones who won't reach a deal with their teams for varying reasons. Many of those reasons are distinctly unflattering. Occasionally you just find a guy who thinks he can go longer than his team thinks he can go, or wants to cash in after years of team friendly contracts like with Brady. Mostly though what you find in FA is not going to be attractive because there's going to be a reason the previous team let 'em walk.

The history of free agent quarterbacks is not a very good one. For the most part teams will bend over backwards to keep their quarterbacks so the guys who hit F A are the ones who won't reach a deal with their teams for varying reasons. Many of those reasons are distinctly unflattering. Occasionally you just find a guy who thinks he can go longer than his team thinks he can go, or wants to cash in after years of team friendly contracts like with Brady. Mostly though what you find in FA is not going to be attractive because there's going to be a reason the previous team let 'em walk.
Yup - no team ever loses a QB they want to keep.

I wouldn’t have paid Ridley 22 million, I don’t think he’s worth more than 12-13 a year. Overall I think WR’s are getting grossly overpaid. And I think using that much cap space for pretty much any position other than QB doesn’t make a lot of sense. There are exceptions of course, and I can see people seeing Jefferson as just that, but I don’t. Especially for a team that doesn’t look like a contender over the next couple of seasons.
The cap is much higher now. You seem stuck in a time when the cap was 30% smaller.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back