PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which direction should we go in for QB next season?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What direction should we go in for QB next season?

• Keep Cam

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Trade for Matt Stafford or Watson

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • Pick a rookie in the draft

Votes: 70 84.3%

• Total voters

I don’t believe that they really feel this way at all. Just trying to get his price down if he becomes available.

I think chances are 50-50 JG is starting week 1 for the Pats.

the bigger question is who do the Niners pick up? I just have a hard time feeling they will jettison Jimmy G if they dont feel they have an adquate replacement. They are in their window right now.

but apparently Jimmys bloated contract becomes vested this year if they do not cut him. So I do have a hard time believing they are okay with being tied to Jimmy for the remainder of his contract. If he gets injured again or they underperform then Lynch/shanahan are going to be on the hotseat. they were only .500 with Jimmy this year before he got injured....and essentially he was dragged to the superbowl kicking and screaming in 2019 in their playoff run....and their division just got better.

I would prefer Brisset over Cam by a mile but it’s the same as Garoppolo if Indy cannot find a better option they will keep Brisset.
Serious question... why? Brissett really isn't better. If he is, it's not by much and we pretty much know that the team that has him would be happy to start him if they had any faith in him whatsoever because they are legitimately a QB away. And Brissett's probably going to demand a higher contract.

Not saying Cam should be here this year. But Brissett is a lateral or near lateral move for more money

I would prefer Brisset over Cam by a mile but it’s the same as Garoppolo if Indy cannot find a better option they will keep Brisset.
Brissett should not be starting for any team that has playoff aspirations. If they go with JB I hope they also pick a really good prospect that can be named permanent starter at a moments notice.

Serious question... why? Brissett really isn't better. If he is, it's not by much and we pretty much know that the team that has him would be happy to start him if they had any faith in him whatsoever because they are legitimately a QB away. And Brissett's probably going to demand a higher contract.

Not saying Cam should be here this year. But Brissett is a lateral or near lateral move for more money

I agree here completely. For the similar money I'd rather go on round two of the Cam Newton experience and hope that a full offseason solves a lot of the issues that popped up last year.

Brissett would be the ultimate uninspired lateral move.

Looking at this stats they are pretty underwhelming to be honest. Look at the 2 seasons he started the majority of games. If Bill brought in Hunter henry and legit NFL wide receivers I think cam newton could do about the same as 2019. maybe with more rushing tds.

1612103852958.png

I agree here completely. For the similar money I'd rather go on round two of the Cam Newton experience and hope that a full offseason solves a lot of the issues that popped up last year.

Brissett would be the ultimate uninspired lateral move.
Both options bring vomit in my mouth
1 Watson
2 Wilson Z
3 Lance
4 Fields
5 Mac Jones
6 Jimmy G
7. Mariota
8. Lock
9. Jones D
10.Fitzpatrick R
11.Winston J
12. Henicke
13. Allen K
14. Brissett J
15. Stidham matures
16. Tyrod Taylor
17. Bridgewater T
18. Anyone who can throw a decent spiral
19. PRAY FOR US
20. Cam

I think Tom Brady (6th round) was like winning the Mega Millions. It won't be happening anytime soon.
That said, getting a QB in the 1st/2nd round is paramount. Develop the youngster for a year.

Right now you have Stidham and some off-the-street QB as the backup. Really?

My hope is, 1st/2nd round:
Trey Lance (maybe a 1year wonder)
Mac Jones ( traditional passer)
Kyle Trask ( Heisman runner up)

1st/2nd round:
Devonta Smith
Jaylen Waddle
Kyle Pitts

I think Tom Brady (6th round) was like winning the Mega Millions. It won't be happening anytime soon.
That said, getting a QB in the 1st/2nd round is paramount. Develop the youngster for a year.

Right now you have Stidham and some off-the-street QB as the backup. Really?

Patriots are in a tough bind. Where they are picking (#15) isnt the best spot for the top guys. but the lions taking Goff puts them off the market. so maybe a guy falls somewhat who they want.

But there also are going to be top flight wide receivers at #15 (which is a HUGE) need. so if the patriots dont feel one of the guys available at #15 is a Franchise type talent then they may opt to draft a receiver there or worst case scenario bill "trades down" because he feels he can shoot more shots.

Patriots are in a tough bind. Where they are picking (#15) isnt the best spot for the top guys. but the lions taking Goff puts them off the market. so maybe a guy falls somewhat who they want.

But there also are going to be top flight wide receivers at #15 (which is a HUGE) need. so if the patriots dont feel one of the guys available at #15 is a Franchise type talent then they may opt to draft a receiver there or worst case scenario bill "trades down" because he feels he can shoot more shots.
That could happen but if we trade down and take a guy Kiper can’t find tape on LOL I’m going to just laugh and laugh and drink and drink

Both options bring vomit in my mouth
1 Watson
2 Wilson Z
3 Lance
4 Fields
5 Mac Jones
6 Jimmy G
7. Mariota
8. Lock
9. Jones D
10.Fitzpatrick R
11.Winston J
12. Henicke
13. Allen K
14. Brissett J
15. Stidham matures
16. Tyrod Taylor
17. Bridgewater T
18. Anyone who can throw a decent spiral
19. PRAY FOR US
20. Cam

If you have Lock, Heinicke or Allen in front of Cam then you need your posting privileges taken away. I couldn't even be bothered to look at whatever else you mentioned.

My guess is that Belichick really wants Jimmy G. He knows him, won a bit with him, and definitely seemed reluctant to part with him. I don't think what he's done elsewhere really factors much in Belichick's thought processes. I suspect he might even overpay for him a bit. If I'm a betting man, that's the Pats' QB next year.

My guess is that Belichick really wants Jimmy G. He knows him, won a bit with him, and definitely seemed reluctant to part with him. I don't think what he's done elsewhere really factors much in Belichick's thought processes. I suspect he might even overpay for him a bit. If I'm a betting man, that's the Pats' QB next year.

I just dont know if the niners do it unless they feel they have a better option. looking at his contract it looks like they can go through the same excercise next year and only have a cap hit of $1.4 million. Although someone was mentioning that Jimmys Contract becomes fully vested. I dont know if something changed. so the niners may just keep Jimmy, draft a guy at #12 and move on next year

im starting to get this feeling that cam newton will be back with a drafted guy....

there might not be as much movement as we think this offseason. Saints probably stick with Winston, as you said Colts might stick with Brisset.

I do wonder Bill and the patriots internal evluations on Cam newton. my eye test tells me he is shot. But if Bill brings in quality wide receivers/tight ends via the draft and free agency how does bill feel?

Maybe @sb1 need to prepare himself to see Stidham start next year

the bigger question is who do the Niners pick up? I just have a hard time feeling they will jettison Jimmy G if they dont feel they have an adquate replacement. They are in their window right now.

but apparently Jimmys bloated contract becomes vested this year if they do not cut him. So I do have a hard time believing they are okay with being tied to Jimmy for the remainder of his contract. If he gets injured again or they underperform then Lynch/shanahan are going to be on the hotseat. they were only .500 with Jimmy this year before he got injured....and essentially he was dragged to the superbowl kicking and screaming in 2019 in their playoff run....and their division just got better.

All signs point to the QB kid, Trey Lance.

Those of you who want Ryan Fitzpatrick as a bridge QB.. He has 0 playoff appearances.

The Pats are not getting JG.

They are really f****d @ the QB position.
Check out the passing 2020 passing stats for the following two Patriots : Jacoby & Julian ! Off the charts success, no ?

Surprised that in all of this no one has mentioned Sam Darnold.

Surprised that in all of this no one has mentioned Sam Darnold.

It is an unrealistic scenario. Even if they pick a QB at #2 there is no pressure at all on Jets to move on from Darnold. Just let whoever ends up #2 develop at his own pace and give him the start whenever u feel he is ready.

So anyone interested will have to overpay. Division competitors even more so.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back