Asking for your support

Which path?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The question is: to QB at 3 or not QB? There are pros and cons to both.

QB at 3
Pro: Higher odds, in general, of finding their QB of the future. Shiny new QB would excite fans and Kraft, and they're guaranteed to have one of the top 3 available.
Con: Less draft capital available to put talent around him. Depending on how FA goes, it may be risky to have him start right away. More guaranteed money tied up in one player, so cutting bait is harder.

Not QB at 3
Pro: Can take an expected generational WR at 3 or trade down for more/future picks. More draft capital to build talent. Use short-term bridge QB to weather the bumps.
Con: Less exciting for fans (esp. if they take a tackle) and Kraft, likely raising pressure on FO down the line. Lower chance of finding a QB of the future in later rounds. Pats are unlikely to have pick 3 again anytime soon, so trading up for a top QB would be more expensive in future.

Depends on who is available at 3 because it's more than likely at least one of the QB's will be gone. We'll know more when the draft approaches. The only trade down I see is for a few spots as another team freaks out and wants a QB.

Last edited:
Qb at 3 , shoot your shot unless you truly dont like daniels or maye. You have plenty of picks and cap space to address ot and the secondary needs like edge and cb so stockpiling isnt as necessary imo. Wr can be addressed next year or trade a 2025 pick for aiyuk/aj brown/ Justin jefferson.

I feel like the nfl is due for a good qb draft class, the last good one was 2020. Then next years looks pretty bad at early glance, so if you don’t take a swing now it might be years before you get another shot even close to this.

I think the best choice is to trade down a little bit, say 5-8 range depending on the exact situation. At that point I'd take Odunze, Nabers, Alt, or Fashanu in that order depending on who is available. Using whatever else we got from the trade besides the 1st rounder and our picks I would then try to put together a deal to move back into the first round and get McCarthy. Every other pick left would go to trying to find starters at OT and WR unless there's some unexpected Vince Wilfork style unexpected guy available.

You are hopefully not going to be this close to the top of the draft again for decades. The team would have to really not like whichever QB is still available at #3 quite a bit, to not draft a QB here.

The problem with trading down is that there is no guarantee that the player you are targeting is going to still be available when it's your turn to mak a pick.

I understand the logic of gaining more draft pick for a roster with so very many spots in need of an upgrade - but I just don't think it is the right call for a team so desperate for a QB.

The
You are hopefully not going to be this close to the top of the draft again for decades. The team would have to really not like whichever QB is still available at #3 quite a bit, to not draft a QB here.

The problem with trading down is that there is no guarantee that the player you are targeting is going to still be available when it's your turn to mak a pick.

I understand the logic of gaining more draft pick for a roster with so very many spots in need of an upgrade - but I just don't think it is the right call for a team so desperate for a QB.
Quite likely Pats are picking in top 5 again next year but QB 2025 prospects other than Sanders not as highly rated
Take your shot now and get on with the rebuild

this shouldn't even be a consideration

draft the qb you want at 3

If he's gone, pivot.
Yep. If gone, you likely are moving down.

The one scenario I could find feasible would be if the Giants badly want one of Daniels/Maye. You could trade down with them to 6, snag an extra few picks, and take a McCarthy at 6. We will have the leverage there so could definitely grab an extra 2nd + a couple other picks.

You just have to hope the Cardinals or Chargers don’t trade down there with Denver/Minnesota. But luckily I feel like MHJ will be too enticing for Arizona, and would doubt the Chargers will trade with the Broncos.

I always vote Ray. However, I also remember that he couldn’t have possibly killed anyone because he was wearing his white-not-for-killing-or-making-mess suit that fateful day.

I’ve softened on my stance. I was once firmly in the ‘get a bounty since there will be 1/3 studs available and someone will pay’. But Mahomes beat a stacked SF team. He has been the difference. And even a 1/10 shot of getting a real winner at QB might be worth it in today’s league.

Tough choice. If I had to give a non RLKAG answer, I’d echo those who say « take your guy if he’s there / be ready to move if he’s gone and you don’t feel great about the choice ».

I think the best choice is to trade down a little bit, say 5-8 range depending on the exact situation. At that point I'd take Odunze, Nabers, Alt, or Fashanu in that order depending on who is available. Using whatever else we got from the trade besides the 1st rounder and our picks I would then try to put together a deal to move back into the first round and get McCarthy. Every other pick left would go to trying to find starters at OT and WR unless there's some unexpected Vince Wilfork style unexpected guy available.
You can check next month. I expect that all of our six picks won't get us high enough to get McCarthy,

I suppose we MIGHT get there is we also use our compensation for trading down plus all of our picks.

I always vote Ray. However, I also remember that he couldn’t have possibly killed anyone because he was wearing his white-not-for-killing-or-making-mess suit that fateful day.

I’ve softened on my stance. I was once firmly in the ‘get a bounty since there will be 1/3 studs available and someone will pay’. But Mahomes beat a stacked SF team. He has been the difference. And even a 1/10 shot of getting a real winner at QB might be worth it in today’s league.

Tough choice. If I had to give a non RLKAG answer, I’d echo those who say « take your guy if he’s there / be ready to move if he’s gone and you don’t feel great about the choice ».
I mostly agree or at least see your point in everything except for your RLDNKAG stance.

I'm good with any of 3 QBs so take one

For optics for a new regime, you almost have to pick QB at this point.

Otherwise, I chose AHKAtLeast3Guys.

You could draft Orlando Pace in the first round and none of it matters if Jacoby Brissett is your quarterbacking answer.

If you believe the guy at 3 can become even Kirk Cousins or better then you have to take him, this whole build the roster thing doesn't work find the quarterback then build the roster.

It's way harder to do what the 49ers did and find all these players and they still haven't won than it is just to draft the right guy at QB and have him elevate you.

Scared Money don't Make Money...

Take the QB.

Cryptocurrency Defi GIF by 1inch

QB!

B858AF44-CBB4-43A2-9AFB-680835121F9D.gif

Last edited:

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back