PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who should be available at 14?

That would be a great strategy to perpetually pay $3m/yr for our QB instead of $45m.

Same goes for WR’s, who are gettin g so much money in free agency that keeping them makes little sense. I’m all for drafting QB’s every year, and I don’t even care which round they pick them in, just that the ones they take are good choices. If you stumble across Mahomes then find a way to keep him. And even if O’Brien turns Jones around I don’t think there are many, if any here that would go along with giving him the idiotic contract the Giants gave Daniel Jones.

The more I think about this the more I think the Patriots should just double or triple their investment in their scouting department and run the franchise like a top college program, where you just never stop reloading, and turn over your starting QB’s and skill players ever couple of years. Go to really athletic QB’s and simplify your systems and rely on their athleticism. That may be antithetical to Belichick’s style of coaching, but he’s only going to coach a few more years at the most. Prioritize athletic ability over complex offensive and defensive systems, and keep churning talent through, especially since you can get picks for free agency losses, or trade away valued players for good picks.

Odds are we pick up a kicker or long snapper before filling any area of need.

Last edited:
You are spot on. You know your stuff.

May I take the liberty to be a Homer and add the name Jayden Reed?
Jayden Reed has one of the best release packages in the class very Edelmanesque. I hope our Scouts are putting emphasis on guys who are skilled at that yes guys' who have a knack to get open.

Last edited:
You are spot on. You know your stuff.

May I take the liberty to be a Homer and add the name Jayden Reed?
I’m obsessed with receivers.
I swear I was in on Stephon Diggs, Brandon Marshall among others those guys who fall to the mid rounds due to competition or QB play, injury.

It’s the eyeball test drives me nuts.
When Diggs was saw as a kid round pick cause he went to Maryland I was losing my mind.

I agree that OT and CB are greater needs, but I think the top prospects at. both will be gone by #14. TE is also a need longer term, and Kincaid wouldn’t be a bad pick there, but it would take longer to reap the benefits of the pick. I would only take Robinson at RB there, but that’s because a guy who should be a top 5 pick is still available at #14. I would be happy with JSN or Flowers at 14 because both would provide an immediate impact, and really improve their ability to put points up, especially in games where 21 points isn’t going to cut it. I know most here hate the Flowers pick at #14, but I think the best comparison to him is Jalen Waddle, and it would give Jones the immediate release valve that Brady had with Welker and Edelman for the second half of his career. Ultimately I think that there is very little chance they will pick at #14, so once again the prospects we like the most will be gone, and they will fill the needs we want filled with prospects that come off the board after the first round. But at least we won’t have to wait until 11:30 EST to see them trade out of the first round.
yup, I guess the discussion is what we would do with the 3 top OT's gone, and with Gonzo and Witherspoon gone, although there is some discussion about not drafting Skoronski.

Yes, the most value in the draft historically.
What is the value of the game changing blue chippers available in the half of the first round?

yup, I guess the discussion is what we would do with the 3 top OT's gone, and with Gonzo and Witherspoon gone, although there is some discussion about not drafting Skoronski.

I won’t say never draft a tackle to play guard, Mankins disproved that concept, , but generally I’m against it, and I don’t think Skoronski is a franchise LT. but I agree completely that the best way to look at the first round is to look at who will actually be available at the pick. That said I’m starting to rethink everything about this team and how they should approach things going forward, and that starts at QB, and the discussion that came up in this thread about QB’s and their salaries, and the concept of just using QB’s for their rookie deals, unless you hit on one that is special, makes sense to me. Mac Jones could be serviceable, but I don’t think he will ever be special, and the idea of giving him 40 million plus to be Daniel Jones doesn’t make much sense to me. So maybe the best route going forward is to draft a QB every year, and load up with explosive athletes around them.

I went into this process thinking they need to upgrade the offense to become more explosive, and give Jones the weapons to find out if he has what it takes to be the answer at QB long term, but while I still think they need to create a higher scoring offense, I no longer think that it matters whether Jones shows much improvement or not, because I don’t see him being worth what a second contract for him will cost, period. And I think it’s time to completely rethink the way they approach team building and the offensive and defensive systems they use. Instead of trying to find a “ franchise QB to have for the next 15-20 years start looking at the position as one you have to turn over over consistently, and value athleticism over intangibles.

I won’t say never draft a tackle to play guard, Mankins disproved that concept, , but generally I’m against it, and I don’t think Skoronski is a franchise LT. but I agree completely that the best way to look at the first round is to look at who will actually be available at the pick. That said I’m starting to rethink everything about this team and how they should approach things going forward, and that starts at QB, and the discussion that came up in this thread about QB’s and their salaries, and the concept of just using QB’s for their rookie deals, unless you hit on one that is special, makes sense to me. Mac Jones could be serviceable, but I don’t think he will ever be special, and the idea of giving him 40 million plus to be Daniel Jones doesn’t make much sense to me. So maybe the best route going forward is to draft a QB every year, and load up with explosive athletes around them.

I went into this process thinking they need to upgrade the offense to become more explosive, and give Jones the weapons to find out if he has what it takes to be the answer at QB long term, but while I still think they need to create a higher scoring offense, I no longer think that it matters whether Jones shows much improvement or not, because I don’t see him being worth what a second contract for him will cost, period. And I think it’s time to completely rethink the way they approach team building and the offensive and defensive systems they use. Instead of trying to find a “ franchise QB to have for the next 15-20 years start looking at the position as one you have to turn over over consistently, and value athleticism over intangibles.
I think drafting a QB every year is a good idea, certainly this year. Using a 3rd or 4th every year trying to find a $40M value is a good idea. Also, it is a good idea to try to draft a WR every year looking to hit on a $25M value.

Last edited:
At 14 I want a WR or CB who at least has the potential to be around top 15 in the league in their position.

Second round onwards I'm prioritizing finding a functional LT. If it means sending assets to move up in the 2nd, or double dipping, or both, then so be it.

Just my vision on what I'd plan going in. Obvious caveat being plans can change depending on how everything unfolds.

Lot of discussion about Darnell Wright out of TN at OT. I still remember twice, the edge rusher zipped by and he looked like he hadn't even moved. However, I remember thinking a similar observation about Nate Solder at his Senior Bowl. If Wright could play as good as Solder I would be satisfied. Not all world but competent.

Same goes for WR’s, who are gettin g so much money in free agency that keeping them makes little sense. I’m all for drafting QB’s every year, and I don’t even care which round they pick them in, just that the ones they take are good choices. If you stumble across Mahomes then find a way to keep him. And even if O’Brien turns Jones around I don’t think there are many, if any here that would go along with giving him the idiotic contract the Giants gave Daniel Jones.

The more I think about this the more I think the Patriots should just double or triple their investment in their scouting department and run the franchise like a top college program, where you just never stop reloading, and turn over your starting QB’s and skill players ever couple of years. Go to really athletic QB’s and simplify your systems and rely on their athleticism. That may be antithetical to Belichick’s style of coaching, but he’s only going to coach a few more years at the most. Prioritize athletic ability over complex offensive and defensive systems, and keep churning talent through, especially since you can get picks for free agency losses, or trade away valued players for good picks.
I think Belichick was trying to go in this direction last year, a simplified offense running more outside zones. I think retirement is too close for him to try it again.

I’m obsessed with receivers.
I swear I was in on Stephon Diggs, Brandon Marshall among others those guys who fall to the mid rounds due to competition or QB play, injury.

It’s the eyeball test drives me nuts.
When Diggs was saw as a kid round pick cause he went to Maryland I was losing my mind.
Diggs fell bc of injuries and maturity concerns. Not bc he went to Maryland. He was a dark horse Heisman candidate his last year I believe.

I was too low, had a high 3rd on him.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back