PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why can't we draft receivers?

If true, it may answer a burning question that I've always had, which is: Was/Is our scouting department that bad, or were/are they competent and Bill just disregarded their talent evaluations regarding the WR position in specific, and other positions in-general. I'm leaning more to it being the latter reason.

You’re right …the draft is really a crap shoot. Any first round pick is as likely, if not more likely, to be a bust as he is a star.
And players picked outside of the first are even more likely to be a bust.

I don't know where this line of thinking comes from. It seems to crop a lot these days. Why have rounds and drafting order if guys are just going to bust? If you go by that logic, the whole exercise is pointless.

The reason a lot of first rounders bust is because the crappily run teams get to pick first. Bad coaching will ruin players (see: Jones, Mac). There's a lot more than goes into the reason that a draft pick busts in the first round other than looking purely at the raw numbers of busts.

If true, it may answer a burning question that I've always had, which is: Was/Is our scouting department that bad, or were/are they competent and Bill just disregarded their talent evaluations regarding the WR position in specific, and other positions in-general. I'm leaning more to it being the latter reason.
I'm sure Bill, took heed of what the scouts reported on WR'S. However it goes back to him have final say on all roster decisions. It's impossible for a coach to just excel on defense and not be able to identify WR'S It's clearly him ignoring the scouts.

I want a WR that simply fits these attributes:

Easily beats press/Man with elite separation, reliable hands.

That’s the whole list.

Can’t grasp a calculus playbook?

Don’t care, adjust to him.

Isn’t 6’3 and can’t block?

Don’t care, run the other way.

Just draft a coverage beater who can actually catch.
Bill will tell you we have that guy on the roster. DeVante I don't want to catch balls from Mac Parker!

I don't know where this line of thinking comes from. It seems to crop a lot these days. Why have rounds and drafting order if guys are just going to bust? If you go by that logic, the whole exercise is pointless.

The reason a lot of first rounders bust is because the crappily run teams get to pick first. Bad coaching will ruin players (see: Jones, Mac). There's a lot more than goes into the reason that a draft pick busts in the first round other than looking purely at the raw numbers of busts.
Absolutely agree. Bad coaching Absolutely can ruin a player. Mac, fields for example.

If someone is drafted after round 2, they really can’t be a bust.

You’re right…poorly run organizations tend to do worse in the draft than well run ones.

But if you look at all teams drafts, they are filled with hits and misses in all rounds. It’s the nature of the draft…it’s not a perfect science.

separation, run good route, catch ball

You have 3 of those types of receivers, you should do alright in the passing game.

Honestly, a hypothetical receiving crew of Bourne, Pop, Meyers, Henry, and Gesiki could be competent assuming you have an average QB who can make a read and deliver the ball

Honestly, a hypothetical receiving crew of Bourne, Pop, Meyers, Henry, and Gesiki could be competent assuming you have an average QB who can make a read and deliver the ball
It wouldn’t be flashy but could be effective with a competent QB. Ideally you’d like to add a home run threat to complement the rest.

You sure about that?

Seems to me he got rather salty about a pretty good wide receiver at one point while he was here...

Can't remember the exact quote but it had to do with grocery shopping...

Which has become quite ubiquitous around here lately
"If they want you to cook the Dinner, they oughta let you shop for the groceries "

-Tuna

Bill not being able to draft WR’s are a myth, yet it keeps being brought up.

Since he’s taken over in 2000, he doesn’t even average drafting one WR per year. 8 picks total within the 1st 3 rounds (1 1st, 5 2nd, 2 3rd). The majority of the picks were from rounds 4-7 with 12. You can’t much expect success from that.

Why not Bruschi and Milloy? I knew he was pissed about the Glenn pick, think he wanted Clemons or Brackens instead. Did he leave the draft entirely and not make the selections for Milloy and Bruschi?
He slammed the door and left the draft room. I'm not sure about Bruschi but back then the first 2 rounds were back to back on the same day. Don't remember the 3rd round.

One thing that people always leave out when it comes to the 2019 WR draft is that, sure, we should've taken AJ Brown or Metcalf, but in that 2nd round, there were 4 busts taken in between them.

Arcega-Whiteside, Isabella, Campbell, Hardman.

Add Harry to that, and you had more busts in those first 2 rounds than you had good WRs.

Even crazier than that is only 2 of the 9 ended up signing 2nd contracts with the teams that drafted them.

Get a QB, get a good line, advance the ball down the field.

Look at Baltimore: only 1 playoff win in the last 10 years but they have a very deep and talented team; they traded their stud WR Hollywood Brown, turned into a brawling running and throw to your TE team.

I definitely want the Patriots to find a stud #1 WR, but there are more important things to consider, like a LT and a QB.

Bill Notgoat has had plenty of years to draft a speedy X receiver that defenses have to account for, something missing from the Patriots since Randy Moss or Brandin Cooks.

So out of some sense of desperation—which has been stinking up Foxboro since at least 2015–he goes after a toothpick in the goddamn second round from Baylor who doesn’t know how to run routes. Yeah, his forty time was superb. But that’s all BoneyT is good for.

It really hurts that Washington drafted Terry McLaurin in 2019 the pick before us, which turned out to be Chase Winovich.

Bill Parcells would have handled this much better.
The only desperation I see here is your desperate attempt to twist Thornton into evidence that Bill isn't the greatest. My only conclusion is you clearly think he is the best ever but don't like him so you choose to troll.

You sure about that?

Seems to me he got rather salty about a pretty good wide receiver at one point while he was here...

Can't remember the exact quote but it had to do with grocery shopping...

Which has become quite ubiquitous around here lately
Well, he did say that "she was doing good". Or something like that. If we're talking about Terry Glenn

Why not Bruschi and Milloy? I knew he was pissed about the Glenn pick, think he wanted Clemons or Brackens instead. Did he leave the draft entirely and not make the selections for Milloy and Bruschi?
Going down the Google rabbit hole, the Giants wanted Simeon Rice to pair with Strahan knowing Jonathan Ogden would be gone. Parcells originally wanted Cedric Jones. Arizona took Rice and the Ravens took Ogden, so the Giants took Jones. Parcells next choice was Tony Brackens.

I'm sure Bill, took heed of what the scouts reported on WR'S. However it goes back to him have final say on all roster decisions. It's impossible for a coach to just excel on defense and not be able to identify WR'S It's clearly him ignoring the scouts.
I would agree with you. Which explains how we got into this mess with a lack of any legit talent at WR and other positions on the offensive side of the ball.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
Back