PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why would you draft Marte Mapu over Josh Downs

Do you guys even watch the games?

It seems to really show with same usual suspects giving me resistance no matter how many times we’ve seen Bill’s draft picks flame out.

I’ve already shown the clips of him getting beat the rare times he’s even the field at S and LB.

Yeah, I watch the games. Do you or do you just do play stats? I was talking about White. He’s been inconsistent but hardly bad.

There will be a half-dozen starters developed from this draft, it's one of the few things that went right for this team.

One of Bill’s worst draft picks. The nail in his coffin at GM at least.

Keion White is also there as well. He’s been awful.
White will be fine. He's clearly dealing with something and likely has hit the rookie wall. Martu is a man without a natural position. He'll be fine going forward He's to athletic and young not to have a role going forward. Those 2 guys are the least of our worries on this expansion team roster.

You mean he's playing like a rookie? Imagine that...
Agreed White has been fine. He's playing starters snaps. Like most rookie hits the wall.. Will be just fine.

Greg from 2021 ...
so many Monday morning fans talking out of their ass from their barcalounger.
Why would you??? Oh wait ... :rofl:

There will be a half-dozen starters developed from this draft, it's one of the few things that went right for this team.

Name them. Then tell me if they are even as good as the league average starter at that position. I don't think you can.

Name them. Then tell me if they are even as good as the league average starter at that position. I don't think you can.
The only guy I can come up with is pop Douglas. That's it!!!!

Already starting: Douglas, Sow, Gonzalez, Baringer, Ryland
Likely future starters: White, Mafi, Mapu
Question marks: Jake Andrews (depends on David Andrews), Kayshon Boutte, Isaiah Bolden (nasty injury but flashed in preseason)

We can all second guess, but most of us (including me) thought he was a solution to scrambling QB’s. Just owning my mistake, assuming he remains a mistake.

We can all second guess, but most of us (including me) thought he was a solution to scrambling QB’s. Just owning my mistake, assuming he remains a mistake.
In fairness, that isn’t how they have used him at all.

IT’s perplexing to essentially watch them make the same mistake they did with Chung 1.0

The roster construction issues go hand in hand with the talent evaluation issues. BB’s approach, relying on positional flexibility to be able to game plan differently each week was the key to his extraordinary success for many years but it is part of what results in a roster filled with guys that get left in the dust by quicker, faster players, or not be able to leave their opponents in the dust, or get overpowered by stronger players. I don’t think that approach will change as long as he’s here.

He needs to retire from running the show here. Kraft could keep him around as a senior advisor if BB is amenable, let him do some scouting and “studies,” but restrict his “access key” to four days per month between January and June.

Same old, same old crap about the gamble that is the draft the '21 draft for example:
Zach Wilson #2
Justin Fields #3
Trey Lance #10
Mac Jones #14
The NFL, team braintrusts & Draft prognosticators really do not know how anything they see in college will translate into the NFL.. the list is long of highly thought of draft picks who suck in the NFL.

What makes zero sense are posters Monday morning QBing 3rd rd draft picks

They aren’t Monday Morning QB’ing, they are just brilliant armchair GM’s who clearly see which prospects will be great and which will suck. I wouldn’t give them such high praise but they never miss on a pick, and would have built the greatest franchises in history had they only had the chance. Such incredible talent wasting away watching the NFL, when they should be running these teams.

Same old, same old crap about the gamble that is the draft the '21 draft for example:
Zach Wilson #2
Justin Fields #3
Trey Lance #10
Mac Jones #14
The NFL, team braintrusts & Draft prognosticators really do not know how anything they see in college will translate into the NFL.. the list is long of highly thought of draft picks who suck in the NFL.

I would argue that the problem isn’t the people running the teams, it’s the way the league is structured. Unlike most sports the NFL doesn’t have a minor league system to grow players in, rather they have a sink or r swim system where every player has to make a massive jump from playing against players they are usually much better than, to playing against the best of the best, with no opportunity to learn and grow against equal talent. As a result the players either make it or bust. And the teams only have seven shots a year to pick the players that are supposed to be the key pieces for their franchises going forward. And when they miss, which all of them do, their fans are ripe and ready with their draft magazines and websites to proclaim well after the fact how much better they would have done.

It’s either this; or no one in the NFL knows what they are doing. And while I could see an argument that ineptitude was the case if some franchises were great at drafting, and others suck, the truth is that no franchise in the NFL has high success rates with their drafting. And a few years back( around 2020) there were only a couple of studies that had analyzed drafting over a long period of time (20 years) and they concluded that the Ravens and Patriots had demonstrated the most success overall, the latter coming as an absolute shock to the Patriots draftniks, who swear that they suck at it.

Right now the team that is doing the best job of drafting is the Eagles, yet just a few short years ago their fans were screaming for Howie Roseman’s head because he had mortgaged their future for Carson Wentz, and that was despite the fact that he had won a Super Biwl with Nick Foles at QB. Then again as we all know in New England it’s not how many Super Bowls you win, it’s what did you do for me last week?

LOL, didn't mean to cause this mess.......wow man the hate for BB is just dumb and ridiculous....

Guy got ya'll wankers 6 championships, 9 superbowls.......

Could the drafts have been better, sure, do I feel like ripping out some hair after some picks, sure.

If not Drake Maye...than maybe this dude unless it's Harrison Jr and OT Paul maybe?

Someone needs to get Mac Jones in a locker room and use him as a punching bag till he wakes up also. Dude needs to get serious. Otherwise just help the team tank and draft Maye lol.

Screenshot 2023-11-21 120052.jpg

LOL, didn't mean to cause this mess.......wow man the hate for BB is just dumb and ridiculous....

Guy got ya'll wankers 6 championships, 9 superbowls.......

Could the drafts have been better, sure, do I feel like ripping out some hair after some picks, sure.
Then why start a thread over a 3rd round pick without any explanation why? Then you gave me a "I don't agree" drive by emoji on my post which makes "zero sense".

This board has some serious bi-polar vibes.

For the same reason 198 players went ahead of Brady and an entire draft went ahead of Brock Purdy and so on and so forth.

Let’s remember the bashing BB took for drafting the likes of Seymour and Light. Ty Warren was another head scratcher.

Why draft the idiot, test failing Ohio St « never produces a QB » CJ Stroud ?

Fans on this site are amazing at reliving the draft AFTER things become clearer. Maybe Downs hurts himself in the last half of the year and Mapu takes a leap. Maybe they stay at the same level for the next decade. I remember T Flowers being a bust for two years and really helping NE thereafter.
Seymour and light were taken light years back . When bill was relatively younger. How long will we be harping on those picks . The recent picks have majorly turned into duds . Only gonzo looks promising befitting his draft status . Some steals here and there. Outside of that our drafting is pukeworthy.

Seymour and light were taken light years back . When bill was relatively younger. How long will we be harping on those picks . The recent picks have majorly turned into duds . Only gonzo looks promising befitting his draft status . Some steals here and there. Outside of that our drafting is pukeworthy.
It’s a crapshoot. That was my point. And to give up on a pick after 2/3 of a year isn’t wise. He might be useless. He might become a contributor. We can’t tell after 10 games.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back