PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wide Receiver Reps - What Do They Mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Dobson is our #1 receiver. Amendola is our #2, and our top slot receiver. Danny should get more reps next week.
========

AFTER OUR CLEAR TOP TWO

It seems that Collie and Edelman are trading off as the #3 WR with Thompkins as the odd man out for now.

It seems that Thompkins has simply played himself out of the rotation. I am somewhat surprised to see this happen so quickly.

Some are greatly surprised to see Edelman move down on the depth chart. For most of he was a #3 from the beginning. We just didn't know who would be our top deep threat. What is surprising is that we brought in Collie and that he has moved equal with Edelman so quickly. I would not be surprised to see Edelman's reps go down even more next week as Amendola's go up.

It seems that Collie and Edelman are trading off as the #3 WR with Thompkins as the odd man out for now.

The various packages make it difficult to state our depth chart at this point in time, at least in my opinion. They are too many players being switched out for each other, so it's somewhat difficult to say who is the WR3/WR4/WR5 etc; as different players are holding that role at the moment depending upon opponent, situation, gameplan, and experimentation.

For example, Amendola and Edelman have switched out, as have Edelman and Collie. Thompkins is also in the mix in these alignments at times too.

We'll likely know more moving forward in the next few games as we head toward the month of December, but I wouldn't assume that anyone is the "odd man out" at this point in time. I would agree however, that Thompkins and Edelman have been having lessened production and seeing less reps.

Dobson is our #1 receiver. Amendola is our #2, and our top slot receiver. Danny should get more reps next week.
========

AFTER OUR CLEAR TOP TWO

It seems that Thompkins has simply played himself out of the rotation. I am somewhat surprised to see this happen so quickly.

Some are greatly surprised to see Edelman move down on the depth chart. For most of he was a #3 from the beginning. We just didn't know who would be our top deep threat. What is surprising is that we brought in Collie and that he has moved equal with Edelman so quickly. I would not be surprised to see Edelman's reps go down even more next week as Amendola's go up.

In the past 4 games, Dobson has taken more snaps than Thompkins twice, and Thompkins has taken more snaps than Dobson twice. I don't think we know which is slotted higher by the Patriots at this time.

What I think we do know is that Amendola, if healthy, is likely the WR1, and everyone else is situational.

Dobson is gonna be the deep threat we need. I like KT, but I think Dobson is gonna pass him. If Tom would look his way and trust him, Dobson could be a major key to this offense.

Edelman may be more consistent than the rookies in at least attempting the correct routes. But when it comes to actually getting open and/or catching balls thrown this way, he seems just as up-and-down as they are.

I'de like to see Boyce in the mix, Dobson will be in a very better level next season because they threw him right into the fire. I'm not a big fan of this first year red shirt thing.

I'de like to see Boyce in the mix, Dobson will be in a very better level next season because they threw him right into the fire. I'm not a big fan of this first year red shirt thing.

We just didn't have the luxury to wait around for Boyce to try and get into line. Obviously, he wasn't doing things as we needed him to do, whether it was route running, getting open, whatever...

Having 3 rookie receivers all in one year, along with outsiders Amendola and Collie is just too much to ask. We're already seeing Thompkins starting to slide dramatically, having only been on the field for 13 reps last week, and only being targeted a total of three times in the past two games alone.

Collie has been working hard off the field, trying to learn the system, and apparently the coaches are noticing and he's been seeing more and more reps every week now. Hopefully he can turn that into some production.

IMO there is not a true #1 WR in the bunch they are all inconsistent so it will vary from week to week who ever has the best match up and can get open will play more

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back