PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick on JaMycal Hasty - Blitz Pickup Issues?

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
I'll throw this in here as well, as this was an interesting comment about him from Belichick's press conference today:

"He's gotten better, especially the last couple of weeks. He's gotten more reps. I know last week was a walk-through week, but even those walk-through reps help. So, I would say he's gaining on it. The biggest thing for any running back is pass protection. He's done that. It's not that he hasn't done it. It's just terminology and rules and adjustments. It's not as simple as just blocking one guy. Especially against these guys, there's some moving parts where there could be multiple factors involved, depending on what we're in and what they give us."

"That's where it's hard to catch up on all of that in a short amount of time. There's the multiples. So, you just can't sit in one protection against these guys. I don't think that would be a good idea, unless you had some way to handle the multiples that they give you. But, it's even on third down, their 4-1 dime, 3-2 dime, 4-2 nickel, 3-3 nickel, with not all of the same players always in the same spot. So, you just start doing the multiplication tables."

"You need to get a lot in. Five or six protections against multiple fronts, multiple personnel groups, multiple fronts, odd, even, overload, start walking safeties and linebackers up in the line of scrimmage, you're into some pretty high numbers in a hurry."

Sounds like the issue is obviously with blitz pickup, which the Chiefs were tough with and went after Josh Allen a lot last week against Buffalo. I wonder where Kevin Harris is with that, as he's another guy who they could use to take some of the load off of Zeke.

Last Thursday Night, not a single other running back had a carry. Zeke carried 22 times for 68yds, Zappe carried 3 times for 13. That obviously won't work this week.

I'll throw this in here as well, as this was an interesting comment about him from Belichick's press conference today:

"He's gotten better, especially the last couple of weeks. He's gotten more reps. I know last week was a walk-through week, but even those walk-through reps help. So, I would say he's gaining on it. The biggest thing for any running back is pass protection. He's done that. It's not that he hasn't done it. It's just terminology and rules and adjustments. It's not as simple as just blocking one guy. Especially against these guys, there's some moving parts where there could be multiple factors involved, depending on what we're in and what they give us."

"That's where it's hard to catch up on all of that in a short amount of time. There's the multiples. So, you just can't sit in one protection against these guys. I don't think that would be a good idea, unless you had some way to handle the multiples that they give you. But, it's even on third down, their 4-1 dime, 3-2 dime, 4-2 nickel, 3-3 nickel, with not all of the same players always in the same spot. So, you just start doing the multiplication tables."

"You need to get a lot in. Five or six protections against multiple fronts, multiple personnel groups, multiple fronts, odd, even, overload, start walking safeties and linebackers up in the line of scrimmage, you're into some pretty high numbers in a hurry."

Sounds like the issue is obviously with blitz pickup, which the Chiefs were tough with and went after Josh Allen a lot last week against Buffalo. I wonder where Kevin Harris is with that, as he's another guy who they could use to take some of the load off of Zeke.

Last Thursday Night, not a single other running back had a carry. Zeke carried 22 times for 68yds, Zappe carried 3 times for 13. That obviously won't work this week.
It’s funny how things we used to take from granted, the every down RB who carried 25+ times a game, the pitcher who throws complete games, the NBA player that doesn’t sit out to rest.
I think we will see Kevin Harris filling in as the backup but I expect Zeke to play at least 80% of the snaps. No reason he can’t.

Reactions: Ian
You can't be on the field as a third down RB if you can't pickup the blitz. Defenses will know that and know exactly where the ball is going.

You can't be on the field as a third down RB if you can't pickup the blitz. Defenses will know that and know exactly where the ball is going.
I feel like that was one of the reasons why Brandon Bolden was moved into that role, if I recall correctly. And he handled it extremely well, along with becoming a pretty productive player in the offense.

Back in the Super Bowl years, the Pats players and DC used to try to find opposing RBs who were poor blockers and game plan against them.

Back in the Super Bowl years, the Pats players and DC used to try to find opposing RBs who were poor blockers and game plan against them.
They probably still do. BB isn't the one on a national stage with Alzheimer's.

Was racking my brain trying to figure out the player who was in this position previously and finally remembered it was J.J. Taylor. His blitz pickup wasn't good if I recall correctly, and I believe it was a key reason why it took him forever to finally see some playing time after they sat him down.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back