PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

With Flowers gone, do the Patriots do anything about the Edge Position....

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
There aren't many "EDGE" players whom I think would be a schematic fit that are Free Agents. Still kinda surprised that the Pats haven't at least kicked the tires on Matt Ionnidis as a replacement for Ekuale, but that could be more about what he's looking for in a contract.

There are supposedly some Edge players available for trade:
Atlanta - DeAngelo Malone - 3rd round pick in 2022. Has been relegated to Special Teams now that Dean Pees is no longer the DC there. 6'3 2/8 inches, 243 lbs. Out of Western Kentucky. Malone is just 24, so plenty of time to mold him..

Philly - Derek Barnett - He's at the back end of Philly's rotation. He's in the final year of a Contract so shouldn't cost much. He's HEALTHY this year, which is good because he is pretty decent when healthy. He seems to be the most well-rounded option of what's available. Barnett is 27 and will be 28 in June.

Seattle - Darrell Taylor - Another guy who is the odd man out in an edge rotation. Been very good in rotation for his 1st two years. Has the size the Pats seem to look for and still relatively young. He's improved his tackling since his rookie year. His one downside looks to be on setting the edge.

Others considered/Rejected :
Houston - Jerry Hughes
Green Bay - Preston Smith
NY Jets - Carl Lawson (don't see the Jets trading him to the Pats)
Washington - Montez Sweat / Chase Young - Too Expensive. Would require a 1st round pick at the minimum.

Hope that Keion White gets and plays well and hang on to Josh Uche with the same idea hoping he remembers that he’s playing for a new contract and “more sacks = more cash)!

I think the Pats need to contemplate this question as they should at this point confront all such questions. This year is now entirely about next year and years following. If an acquisition promises to be useful in that time frame, go for it. Taking on players primarily to improve the team's performance this year is a waste of time.

I will add that until Bill the GM is removed entirely from all personnel decisions, the team should radically curtail any trade/acquisition activity. We have seen enough of Bill's GM work to make this obvious, surely.

Hope that Keion White gets and plays well and hang on to Josh Uche with the same idea hoping he remembers that he’s playing for a new contract and “more sacks = more cash)!
This. Rotate, Uche, White, and Jennings and hope for the best.

I think the Pats should hang onto their draft picks. They're going to need them.

Patriots currently have 8 draft picks. They also have 43 people under Contract for next year and over 90M in cap space.

Patriots currently have 8 draft picks. They also have 43 people under Contract for next year and over 90M in cap space.
Good, the more the merrier. Belichick's GM work has run this team into the ground. It'll take all the resources we can muster to repair the damage he has done.

White should take Judons role. If Uche is healthy that’s the only change.

White seems more power than speed. Not sure you get much pass rush there. But agreed that I’m not keen on parting with any picks with only this year in mind.

I think Jennings has been really solid there

If they are gonna trade for a player I would be looking at a free safety. Edge is not what it once was but it is probably good enough once Uche and White come back. Jennings has shown nicely. If they got a starting free safety it would let them use Dugger in his proper position again where he could make impact plays and create some turnovers like in 2022.

White seems more power than speed. Not sure you get much pass rush there. But agreed that I’m not keen on parting with any picks with only this year in mind.
Seems like a wasted pick when you needed oline help

White is very explosive and amazingly quick. Rare physical specimen. White's RAS score is 9.91. Beast.

Too bad about Trey.

I would have like to see if he had anything left in the tank this year... one last effort on the team where he originally blossomed (pun intended... go ahead and groan if you want, lol)

not sure i want to spend any picks in adding to that position...

Is Flowers for sure gone? Belichick muttered something about "rules" when asked if he might end up on the PS like Cunningham. If Flowers wasn't yet ready but might be in a few weeks might that still be a possibility?

Edit: ""Trey's in a little different situation. We'll just leave that where it is. There are other rules involved. It's a much longer discussion."

(His locker is gone)

Last edited:
There's a lot of nice names but our scheme for OLB/Edge requires smarts and versatility. Wise and Uche should be able to get us through the year and Anfernee Jennings is really emerging. His athleticism and playmaking the past couple games has been huge. Getting White back will be a cherry on top.

There aren't many "EDGE" players whom I think would be a schematic fit that are Free Agents. Still kinda surprised that the Pats haven't at least kicked the tires on Matt Ionnidis as a replacement for Ekuale, but that could be more about what he's looking for in a contract.

There are supposedly some Edge players available for trade:
Atlanta - DeAngelo Malone - 3rd round pick in 2022. Has been relegated to Special Teams now that Dean Pees is no longer the DC there. 6'3 2/8 inches, 243 lbs. Out of Western Kentucky. Malone is just 24, so plenty of time to mold him..

Philly - Derek Barnett - He's at the back end of Philly's rotation. He's in the final year of a Contract so shouldn't cost much. He's HEALTHY this year, which is good because he is pretty decent when healthy. He seems to be the most well-rounded option of what's available. Barnett is 27 and will be 28 in June.

Seattle - Darrell Taylor - Another guy who is the odd man out in an edge rotation. Been very good in rotation for his 1st two years. Has the size the Pats seem to look for and still relatively young. He's improved his tackling since his rookie year. His one downside looks to be on setting the edge.

Others considered/Rejected :
Houston - Jerry Hughes
Green Bay - Preston Smith
NY Jets - Carl Lawson (don't see the Jets trading him to the Pats)
Washington - Montez Sweat / Chase Young - Too Expensive. Would require a 1st round pick at the minimum.

Nice reconnaissance DB. :)

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back