PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

#1 WR? Brandon Aiyuk or Deebo anyone?

i wouldn't do that for Higgins... would have to seriously consider it for Aiyuk
I am sure Wolf is feeling around with pick #34 for a proven player I would do it for Higgins too I have watched him play he can be mismatch at times.

The 49ers biggest cap concern is not Samuels or Aiyuk; it is OT Trent Williams. He turns 36 this summer and has a cap # of $31.5m this year, $34.1m in 2025 and $37.8m in 2026.

But if SF decides they are going to move on from one of their WRs, it would make more sense to retain Aiyuk since he is two years younger than Samuel.

going rate for top flight wide receivers these days...
If we were a contender needing someone to put us over the top then I would advocate for it. But we aren't and we can't afford to give up what would be required at this point. In addition, we'd have to give Aiyuk a huge contract - likely $25m-$30m a year. I'm not doing that plus the picks.

If we were a contender needing someone to put us over the top then I would advocate for it. But we aren't and we can't afford to give up what would be required at this point. In addition, we'd have to give Aiyuk a huge contract - likely $25m-$30m a year. I'm not doing that plus the picks.
you're either in, or your out... If we are going to draft a QB, i think we have to add significant talent at the WR spot... otherwise we are just setting the rookie for failure... fork out the cash now while you got your qb on a cheap rookie deal

I think the 49ers have to backload an extension for Aiyuk, keep the pair together for one more year, and then move on from Samuel next year if he has another <60 receiving YPG season. 49ers fans were already starting to turn on Samuel, and he didn’t do himself any favors with 33 yards on 11 targets in the Super Bowl.

Let’s hope they are willing to part with one of them and let’s hope they decide to trade with the pats. And let’s hope one will sign a long term deal.

I don’t like relying on other teams but there is no other choice now other than a trade or the draft. Pats really need to find a willing trade partner for a number 1. Not sure if that scenario is available right now.

This numbering of WR's is very imprecise and diverse in meaning.

There are guys who require specific coverage strategies, in part because they have the ability to defeat the cookbook of normal coverages. I guess that's what a #1 is.

Every other WR has specific capabilities that fit well, or not, into specific schemes, against certain defenses, and in given situations. So there really aren't 2's and 3's etc. There are gradations of ability, but more of it is situational.
I look at WR1 as someone whose talents and production place him firmly in the top 20-30 in the league. Basically guys who'd be #1 on the depth chart of more teams than not, aka a WR1. Both Deebo and Aiyuk apply.

Doesn't need to be a top 5 or even top 10 guy.

i wouldn't complain if we traded for Aiyuk... I wouldn't complain if we paid him 20+ million a year of Bob Krafts money... would rather pay him that than Calvin Ridley tbh... and I would rather trade for Aiyuk than Tee Higgins truth be told...

I do not think the 49ers will let him walk though... as it was point out already, their prescriptive #1 Deeboo Samuel has a tendency to get beat up, is coming up for a new deal, and to add to that, he hasn't played a full seasons slate of games yet... Aiyuk has overtaken Samuel as the 49ers primary receiver... can't see John Lynch using him as a chip...

Still, nice to dream
I like it.. although me personally I'd rather have Higgins. Just my preference. Taking nothing at all from Brandon he's a pro, someone who better gotten better each season. However either one of those all pros would be instantaneous #1s for us.

Give me Aiyuk... Deebo has been in the tub too much lately Aiyuk is also an exceptional route runner. :cool:
I just came to see if you were here yet.
smug GIF

I am sure Wolf is feeling around with pick #34 for a proven player I would do it for Higgins too I have watched him play he can be mismatch at times.
I like Higgins, I think he's the better player. He goes up and gets it out the clouds.

I think the 49ers have to backload an extension for Aiyuk, keep the pair together for one more year, and then move on from Samuel next year if he has another <60 receiving YPG season. 49ers fans were already starting to turn on Samuel, and he didn’t do himself any favors with 33 yards on 11 targets in the Super Bowl.
One thing about Samuel is he took a lot of hits from the RB position. I don't think he will have the same shelf life of a normal WR.

sf wants to go back to the sb, dont think they will do it

I like it.. although me personally I'd rather have Higgins. Just my preference. Taking nothing at all from Brandon he's a pro, someone who better gotten better each season. However either one of those all pros would be instantaneous #1s for us.
Tee Higgins is fine... I'd love to have him... he's better than what we have... But not the guy I would overpay for...

Tee Higgins is fine... I'd love to have him... he's better than what we have... But not the guy I would overpay for...
He a lot going for him Pape age being one of them he's still very Young 25. He could grow with our Young QB.

sf wants to go back to the sb, don't think they will do it
That's not a given especially when you found 7th Round Gem @ QB who slings the football around makes Football life very easy. Their WR Scouting is pretty Spot on.

Yes, I just love Higgins game. He's just one of those guys who fights for the ball. Joe Brady just throws it in his direction and he catches everything.

This. A lot of people want this great receiver or we need this amazing all pro receiver. He would be wasted here while they rebuild. You have a good set of guys, but no way you are giving a guy 30 mil a year to touch the ball 6 times a game while lose by 20 points. You build around a Qb and they need that first.

Deebo is the better football player but Aiyik is the better WR. Utility type players are nice but only when the price is right.

This. A lot of people want this great receiver or we need this amazing all pro receiver. He would be wasted here while they rebuild. You have a good set of guys, but no way you are giving a guy 30 mil a year to touch the ball 6 times a game while lose by 20 points. You build around a Qb and they need that first.
It's not time for an "alpha", as Josh McD said.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back