PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

23 PTP Board/Draft thoughts

Offense

Tackle is pretty thin up top but especially in the middle round imo, late isn't great either. This is definitely a group you need to do your homework on bc the talent just isn't there you need to coach up most of this class from day 1. Which isn't something you'd normally expect from a top 30-40 prospect.

Wright is the most NFL ready imo. Powerful, athletic, plays with attitude and supposedly has a little bit off the field too. Still he's a PTP that would plug and play with Onwenu. Those two would be destroying people on down blocks and in our power scheme.

Skoronski is a gem. That kid will be a great player for a long time. Some of the better feet and lateral quicks I've seen in the last 5-10 years. NFL rushers are freaks and he does let guys into his chest but his recovery is special. Still idk what position he'll play I'm a wanna be scout not coach so it's not up to me. If we didn't have Strange he would be a huge target and still might be if we're comfortably with his pass pro.

I love Harrison he's got a very good all around game but was in a RPO heavy scheme in college so there's little tape of him facing sets he'll see 60% of the time next level.

Dawand Jones is interesting bc of his size but doesn't have great recovery and has slow feet. Some of the heaviest hands in the class though and was a leader on that line.

Asim Richards and Wanya Morris are two that don't get talked about enough. Potential swing tackles. Wanya has the talent and everything you'd want but has to improve his hands and pad level. Richards is more consistent but the upside isn't there. Lacks recovery and has trouble against power rushers with inside moves.

Carter Warren and Warren McClendon are great guys in the locker room and Carter could provide some versatility kicking inside bc his feet are a tick slow. Great length but it doesn't save him enough.

Anthony Bradford is someone I think well look at hard. Will be a natural fit in a power/gap scheme.

Juice Scruggs is someone that just screams NEP too. Very smart heady prospect you can't fool with games up front or intimidate. Plus hands and ability to reach the 2nd level.

Bijan Robinson is a tremendous talent that would be perfect here. Natural running iz, duo, wind back. Ran a ton of that in college. Not so much a perfect OZ fit but he's perfect for what we like to do here. Needs work on pass pro but isn't bad. Can catch. He's going to be a great back.

Zach Evans is a monster and save Robinson could be the best back in the class but is a bit of a headache of the field. It'll be interesting to see how teams view him. Great talent but he's had multiple issues with the staff and outside of school in his private life that make him look impulsive and selfish. Love his game though.

Roschon Johnson is a great fit here for gap/power. Contact balance and burst are extremely important for backs and he's got both along with plus vision and power. Great pass pro. Can catch and shows promise there.

Tiyon Evans is another monster that plays with some nasty and fight. Another fit here for what we've normally done. Lots of promise in pp shows no fear and doesn't lack effort. Technique needs work but he's got a lot of promise.

I've mentioned Eric Gray a few times and I love his fit here. Natural gap runner. One of the better rec backs in the class and rr. Very comfortable running routes or hanging in flat for a dump off. Lots of promise in pp.

Will continue to update this thread. @Ian can merge if you want. Just wanted this out there.

2023 PTP Board not changing
Great job Cousin!
A lot of work.
DW Toys

AT Perry is a great locker room guy and prototype X but can play slot or z. He's limited in terms of what he'll bring but has WR3 upside.

Tillman is another prototype X but came from a Tenn offense that only ran half the field so his route tree is limited but that's not to say he cant. Has some injuries but is a dog and plays like it.

Mingo is a great blocker, athletic af but didn't produce until recently. Which is a red flag for WR. He can play anywhere and I mean anywhere. X, slot, z, inline, backfield. Plus hands and catch radius but never put it all together that showed he could be anything more than WR3. Potential is there but needs development.

Johnston is another guy that could and probably should play everywhere bc of his unique yac abilities at 6'2/210. Runs violent routes although has a limited tree he played with Duggan at TCU. He actually played like 25% from the slot and is a natural big slot rec. Has concentration drops and tracking issues at times but hes shown a ton of potential.

Forgot about the Navy connection between Perry & Bill, who also saw a great deal of each other during Shrine week... Something to keep in mind as #76 approaches...

Either comparing last year's draft haul with this year's or we used magic marker you can't erase.

Oregon and UNC played each other so could be that. Or Josh Down. One guy I wanted to put on my board under WR was Antoine Green, from UNC. 6'1 200 4.47 40 6.99 3C 4.27

Top WR left strictly on athleticism Iosivas, BFW, Antoine Green, Grant Dubose, Jason Brownlee, Ronnie Bell, Jaden Haselwood

Screenshot_20230428_165846_Twitter.jpg

Forgot about the Navy connection between Perry & Bill, who also saw a great deal of each other during Shrine week... Something to keep in mind as #76 approaches...

Perry was available at 76 too, but Billy had, let's just say, other ideas about how to use the picks today...

Perry was available at 76 too, but Billy had, let's just say, other ideas about how to use the picks today...
Still waiting for you to tell everyone how many SB Rings you've earned in the NFL..

@BaconGrundleCandy - With Mapu's instincts, do you think he could be groomed as a FS? I know we don't have any testing on him, but he did have 4 Ints as a 5th yr jr.

absolutely love the keion white pick From a player and positional value standpoint
A perfect day 3 for me includes Blake Freeland and a WR
I am happy with the draft so far except maybe the position we selected in the third rd
THe mapu selection could mean since we already have dugger peppers and Phillips for this role ( more of a SS, boxS) that we are planning to move one of our current S to the FS spot
Because I think mapu needs time to improve his coverage skills as dugger needed time as well , mostly related coming from a smaller school which is fine

Princeton's WR Andrei Losivas interviews very well so he must be at the Top of BB's Draft Board so eloquent.

Louisville's WR K Boutte would have been long gone if it weren't for those Ankle surgeries. Intriguing guy from now on in the Draft.

Last edited:
Gonzo was a home run swing on a home run athlete. Fills a real need while attaining great value. He's NFL ready but still a big ball of clay. His range, size, athleticism and potential/trajectory are through the roof

I had White on my PTP since I started it and took him off a day or two before. If you took a peek at you saw. Always miss that one guy but in reality there's a bunch of them. He'll be great in sub packages. Potential Wise replacement. Power player that hopefully can be a 3 down guy by year 2.

@BaconGrundleCandy - With Mapu's instincts, do you think he could be groomed as a FS? I know we don't have any testing on him, but he did have 4 Ints as a 5th yr jr.
I don't think so. I see a big time athlete that's a bit of a project. He's got great instincts and feel. No hesitation trigger to fire down. Physical, he knows how to handle himself down in the trenches but will need to add some strength for sure. Dugger-like but not there yet. Sub guy that who hopefully can play some nickel and again stay on the field all 3 downs when he gets stronger. Don't hate the pick but we've been here before. We need a clear plan and expectation with him.

We love the SR Bowl

Don't hate the Andrews pick but he went too early imo. There were several others across different positions I would have selected. He lacks real power but is a smart kid with some versatility.

Like the Sow pick a lot. He's solid with lots of potential in a specific place like NE. I'm excited about him.

We drafted arguably the best kicker in the draft imo. It not exciting drafting a "K" but we actually need one. The draft is only 4 rounds so I don't mind.

And we just drafted another IOL. Idk idk

We gave up the 120 pick to move up to 112. And the Jets used that pick on an OT that will make us wish we had drafted him. I discussed him in the draft subforum.

Sorry, folks. It looks as though the Jets now have their sh-t together after decades.

We gave up the 120 pick to move up to 112. And the Jets used that pick on an OT that will make us wish we had drafted him. I discussed him in the draft subforum.

Sorry, folks. It looks as though the Jets now have their sh-t together after decades.
Big time character, locker room guy. Coaches and players really liked him. Well spoken, thoughtful dude. Doesn't carry himself like one of the biggest people alive off the field.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
Back