PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

23 PTP Board/Draft thoughts

This is why we got him. Erase big WR's while developing in other areas. I wouldn't worry about who he's covering this year as opposed what type of guy we match him up with. We have plenty of bodies to make this easy on a healthy group.

I'll start with Boutte since I haven't given my thoughts in his theead yet. Bill loves Jarvis Landry and this is his get back. Tough slot who plays with 0 fear across the middle and brings attitude to the field and WR room. He's had a up & down time at LSU esp with a disciplined no nonsense guy like Kelly. That doesn't give me hope considering Bill is worse but hey who knows. They had issues though.

Boutte broke out as a 18 yo and dominated young. Which matters. Still only 20 I believe. The two surgeries are very concerning. Mainly bc he lost almost all explosion after it and hasn't gotten it back yet. And that's one of his biggest strengths. His acceleration off the line, off his stem, in stride with the ball.

This is what I wrote about him last May ...

Meant to post this the past few days but been busy with work. Just woke up so ill get it out the way. Not finished with the names, I'll add a few more. Have to move a few guys around but almost everyone is in the right. neighborhood.

Boutte looks like a mini Chase at times but long term the picture isn't as clear as it was with previous #1. Recovering from two ankle surgeries can derail you short term when you depend on planting/cutting, exploding from off your feet. That's easily the biggest question mark with Boutte.
When hes on its easy to see a little Chase in his game. From his build (6/200) to play style (slightly upright runner that bounces off defenders with plus play speed & strength) to toughness with the ball in his hands. They jump out. Similarities are there but it remains to be seen if Boutte can capture that quickness/twitch, play speed post-surgery.

Almost ended up in Bama a few times. Most recently after the NIL deals struck but ended up staying at LSU. He's being taken care of there. Big time recruit from that area. Big name.

- very physical - won't go down easy, plays through contact on contested / tough catches, will block ... he gets involved.

- plus focus, tracking and body control. In the air, MOF, sideline. Very good awareness of where he's at and attention to detail. Big play ability. Makes it happen. 8 TD in 5 games last year I believe. Natural playmaker.

Strong hands. Natural hands although he will occasionally let a few hit his chest in tight situations.

Ability to make plays all three levels. Manufactured touches - can beat press. Once he gains more strength, hopefully recovers 100% by next year. He'll be a nightmare to press bc of his strength & speed. He can run straight by you and take the top off so pressing is only for the unafraid with NFL recovery speed & skills. Screens, motion, crossers, hitch, go, fade, he can do it all. Could improve on certain routes but he's a good r/r as it is rn. Elusive can make you miss. Run through weak arm tackles.

Turns into a RB with the ball in his hands. Plus acceleration and play speed. He runs as fast as he needs to.

He needs to recover 100%. Get stronger, weight is almost maxed but really polish off that body. Could in some other areas. Making certain routes his own. He's got some craftiness to him. Medicals could push him down depending on those surgeries.

Back to the present. It's more than obvious the surgeries and other distractions have taken a toll on him. He needs a clean slate. I'm cautiously optimistic bc this isn't someone who really wanted to play for Saban or accepts constructive criticism well but all that is pre-6th RD pick.

LSU Wire ...
"In high school, Boutte both clocked a 4.37-second 40-yard dash and contributed to a record-breaking relay team. He also posted a blazing 21.29-second 200-meter run."

So theres some evidence beside the eye test on Boutte that he can be an explosive athlete. You just hope his head is on straight and realizes he's on thin ice. Develops his game and takes advantage of a WR corp with WR1 seemingly up for grabs. One other thing that's concerning is that most of his production come from like 5 games. He's got nothing but opportunity here though if he comes correct.

- Plus awareness in general. Waiting for the ball, with it in his hands. The angles and path he takes. Natural feel and instincts.

- Like Chase at his best he ricochets off defenders off the los in his releases, top of his routes/stem. Does a great job reducing any surface to hit. Knows how to work in tight spaces. Both catching and leaving defenders behind using leverage against them.

- varied release package with plus hand fighting. Counter puncher that can get physical. Good lateral movements.

- good stalk blocker with good technique and effort. Can be a plus blocker in space. Not sure about getting dirty against a DE but plenty to work with.

Not a "big slot" but a bully that can play Z too. LSU moved him around both sides. I think he can absolutely play X fully healthy.

Lots of upside here. Again this is Bill's way of getting Landry back imo. Just need to really get him to buy in.
20230501_013302.jpg

20230501_013530.jpg

Douglas and Marcus Jones could be a problem for defenses. You can use both so many ways. Slot, backfield, motion/orbit,
I have no doubt we'll use Douglas like Liberty did and they moved him everywhere. If he peaks, he's a potential big play on one snap, moving the chains another and designed touches the next.

Varied releases with good footwork. Already a smaller target he gets smaller but really uses patience to his advantage off the los and at the top of his route.

Sudden, quick. Could play with more control at times but hes a water bug. Good lateral movements and jump cuts, dead legs.

Effective body catcher when he has to but also plucks the ball at times.

Gets after it as a blocker. Decent technique with lots of fight.

Tracks the ball well for his size.

Doesn't lose speed coming out his breaks or cuts. Gets smaller when he sinks and explodes out breaks. Body is a target. Head, hands, chest are snapping and looking at once.

Will take a hit. Tough kid.

He wasn't working with much at Liberty. He never played with anyone that could really time up passes or fire it in there.

Again him and Jones could be a headache on the field together bc of their short area movements, acceleration and toughness.

I'm really excited to see what both these guys can do. Pats have a notoriously hard s&c program. Not everyone loves the lower body training it's brutal at times but this could be great for Boutte. Or break him. Obviously rooting for his upside to show. I would even be ok with taking it easy until he's 100% fully healthy and work on his body.
I'll mention it 100 times bc this offense needed quickness. So I'm pumped to see what Marcus Jones and Douglas could do together. They're both scat backs with the ball. Can ruin your day in short areas and provide instant big plays.

Didn't do well with the PTP Board this year but noticed something strange while looking at other teams draft hauls. Nick is obviously in Houston now running things there. So I wanted to see if he was staying familiar with tendencies or not. I only hit on 2 prospects for NEP but was almost perfect for Houston. I ended up with about 110 prospects so I didn't get to where I wanted but 110 ain't bad at all. That's very realistic. Not including CJ and Will I went 6/7 and the miss was Tank Dell. Someone you needed a strong opinion on either way imo.

6/7! Not what I was hoping for. I failed for us but don't think it was a coincidence either. The names/prospects all would sound familiar here (Scruggs, Tank, Horton, To’oTo’o, Patterson, Xavier Hutchinson and Brandon Hill). Again excluding CJ and Will bc I just wasn't thinking top 2-3 pick for us, the names were all guys people thought would work here or wanted.

Ive touched on thos in the past and will again now.

I come up with the PTP Board compiling about 300 names. I'll use there individual testing #'s along with RAS scores. I'll take nothing into account besides testing! Nothing. Then I make the cuts to get it down to a realistic board. It's not easy. The hardest part is tracking guys down like Triple M - Mapu. They're standouts among their schools so very little attention is paid overall. I couldn't give him a real grade bc I only watched 2 games. I've graded on less actually but I don't feel like I'm giving the prospect a fair shake bc one might be A22, the other skipping through broadcast. So tracking guys like him is tough.

Anyway yea, then I'll try to make cuts and place prospects based on what we like for each spot. Personality fit? Do they sound like a Patriot? Resemble someone we went after before. Need. Ill adjust the value where i think well like the prospects. Usually not different than where id place them. And more to get down to, ideally 100 but I'm happy with anything under 125.

For example this is how I had fits for IOL.

Scruggs, Sow, Stromberg, Bradford, Gaines, McFadden, Avila, JMS, Wypler, Zavala, Oluwatimi and Andrews. 11 & 12. I swear on everything it came down to Oluwatimi and Andrews for a spot and I choose Andrews. Again just bc I wanted to keep the overall number down and had some guys ahead that had higher scores for fits. Both were high fits strictly off testing, 7/10 and I picked the wrong guy. Hopefully for us not in reality!

I also noticed a few guys on the PTP Board went directly in front of our picks a few times. Saldiveri, Bennett, Freeland all in front of Andrews and Bradford immediately behind. Obviously didn't weigh Andrews versatility enough but who knows I think Saldiveri and Freeland might have made that pick more interesting for our PTB but who knows.

The 5th round was another potential interesting situation. Abdullah, Tune and Mitchell went right in front of Mafi but it's obvious we wanted to straighten out the IOL so Mafi was probably the pick regardless.

So yea big time fail for me for the Pats but almost perfect for Houston. Might switch it up but I think I was pretty close to having 4 with White and Andrews. I'll take the L, look on the bright side and be back next year.

If Demario Douglas can make the team as the 5th WR, that would be awesome because it would give the Pats 2 ELECTRIC punt returners in him and Marcus Jones. Then they would have zero reason to keep Myles Bryant. I can't see Bryant beating out a guy like Speed. Having someone like Speed as Slater's understudy at Gunner would be fantastic.

If Demario Douglas can make the team as the 5th WR, that would be awesome because it would give the Pats 2 ELECTRIC punt returners in him and Marcus Jones. Then they would have zero reason to keep Myles Bryant. I can't see Bryant beating out a guy like Speed. Having someone like Speed as Slater's understudy at Gunner would be fantastic.
That's definitely the hope with either him or Bolden imo.

We really went deep on ST this draft to potentially fix/upgrade certain areas. Speed is almost 30 lol so I'm really not expecting much as a CB. All that will be gravy.

I'll start with Boutte since I haven't given my thoughts in his theead yet. Bill loves Jarvis Landry and this is his get back. Tough slot who plays with 0 fear across the middle and brings attitude to the field and WR room. He's had a up & down time at LSU esp with a disciplined no nonsense guy like Kelly. That doesn't give me hope considering Bill is worse but hey who knows. They had issues though.

Boutte broke out as a 18 yo and dominated young. Which matters. Still only 20 I believe. The two surgeries are very concerning. Mainly bc he lost almost all explosion after it and hasn't gotten it back yet. And that's one of his biggest strengths. His acceleration off the line, off his stem, in stride with the ball.

This is what I wrote about him last May ...

Meant to post this the past few days but been busy with work. Just woke up so ill get it out the way. Not finished with the names, I'll add a few more. Have to move a few guys around but almost everyone is in the right. neighborhood.

Boutte looks like a mini Chase at times but long term the picture isn't as clear as it was with previous #1. Recovering from two ankle surgeries can derail you short term when you depend on planting/cutting, exploding from off your feet. That's easily the biggest question mark with Boutte.
When hes on its easy to see a little Chase in his game. From his build (6/200) to play style (slightly upright runner that bounces off defenders with plus play speed & strength) to toughness with the ball in his hands. They jump out. Similarities are there but it remains to be seen if Boutte can capture that quickness/twitch, play speed post-surgery.

Almost ended up in Bama a few times. Most recently after the NIL deals struck but ended up staying at LSU. He's being taken care of there. Big time recruit from that area. Big name.

- very physical - won't go down easy, plays through contact on contested / tough catches, will block ... he gets involved.

- plus focus, tracking and body control. In the air, MOF, sideline. Very good awareness of where he's at and attention to detail. Big play ability. Makes it happen. 8 TD in 5 games last year I believe. Natural playmaker.

Strong hands. Natural hands although he will occasionally let a few hit his chest in tight situations.

Ability to make plays all three levels. Manufactured touches - can beat press. Once he gains more strength, hopefully recovers 100% by next year. He'll be a nightmare to press bc of his strength & speed. He can run straight by you and take the top off so pressing is only for the unafraid with NFL recovery speed & skills. Screens, motion, crossers, hitch, go, fade, he can do it all. Could improve on certain routes but he's a good r/r as it is rn. Elusive can make you miss. Run through weak arm tackles.

Turns into a RB with the ball in his hands. Plus acceleration and play speed. He runs as fast as he needs to.

He needs to recover 100%. Get stronger, weight is almost maxed but really polish off that body. Could in some other areas. Making certain routes his own. He's got some craftiness to him. Medicals could push him down depending on those surgeries.

Back to the present. It's more than obvious the surgeries and other distractions have taken a toll on him. He needs a clean slate. I'm cautiously optimistic bc this isn't someone who really wanted to play for Saban or accepts constructive criticism well but all that is pre-6th RD pick.

LSU Wire ...
"In high school, Boutte both clocked a 4.37-second 40-yard dash and contributed to a record-breaking relay team. He also posted a blazing 21.29-second 200-meter run."

So theres some evidence beside the eye test on Boutte that he can be an explosive athlete. You just hope his head is on straight and realizes he's on thin ice. Develops his game and takes advantage of a WR corp with WR1 seemingly up for grabs. One other thing that's concerning is that most of his production come from like 5 games. He's got nothing but opportunity here though if he comes correct.

- Plus awareness in general. Waiting for the ball, with it in his hands. The angles and path he takes. Natural feel and instincts.

- Like Chase at his best he ricochets off defenders off the los in his releases, top of his routes/stem. Does a great job reducing any surface to hit. Knows how to work in tight spaces. Both catching and leaving defenders behind using leverage against them.

- varied release package with plus hand fighting. Counter puncher that can get physical. Good lateral movements.

- good stalk blocker with good technique and effort. Can be a plus blocker in space. Not sure about getting dirty against a DE but plenty to work with.

Not a "big slot" but a bully that can play Z too. LSU moved him around both sides. I think he can absolutely play X fully healthy.

Lots of upside here. Again this is Bill's way of getting Landry back imo. Just need to really get him to buy in.
View attachment 51092

View attachment 51093

Douglas and Marcus Jones could be a problem for defenses. You can use both so many ways. Slot, backfield, motion/orbit,
I have no doubt we'll use Douglas like Liberty did and they moved him everywhere. If he peaks, he's a potential big play on one snap, moving the chains another and designed touches the next.

Varied releases with good footwork. Already a smaller target he gets smaller but really uses patience to his advantage off the los and at the top of his route.

Sudden, quick. Could play with more control at times but hes a water bug. Good lateral movements and jump cuts, dead legs.

Effective body catcher when he has to but also plucks the ball at times.

Gets after it as a blocker. Decent technique with lots of fight.

Tracks the ball well for his size.

Doesn't lose speed coming out his breaks or cuts. Gets smaller when he sinks and explodes out breaks. Body is a target. Head, hands, chest are snapping and looking at once.

Will take a hit. Tough kid.

He wasn't working with much at Liberty. He never played with anyone that could really time up passes or fire it in there.

Again him and Jones could be a headache on the field together bc of their short area movements, acceleration and toughness.

I'm really excited to see what both these guys can do. Pats have a notoriously hard s&c program. Not everyone loves the lower body training it's brutal at times but this could be great for Boutte. Or break him. Obviously rooting for his upside to show. I would even be ok with taking it easy until he's 100% fully healthy and work on his body.
I'll mention it 100 times bc this offense needed quickness. So I'm pumped to see what Marcus Jones and Douglas could do together. They're both scat backs with the ball. Can ruin your day in short areas and provide instant big plays.

I read all that you've written here on Boutte, what he says, and the reports, and it sounds like a maturity issue, didn't like Kelly and the coaching staff didn't BS him and kiss is backside. Obviously, that's reading between the lines and coming up with a theory that fits the facts. Let's hope he is ready to work his azz off, if he is, he really could be huge.

I read all that you've written here on Boutte, what he says, and the reports, and it sounds like a maturity issue, didn't like Kelly and the coaching staff didn't BS him and kiss is backside. Obviously, that's reading between the lines and coming up with a theory that fits the facts. Let's hope he is ready to work his azz off, if he is, he really could be huge.
He has to know the chances are running out. As long as we get contributions from one I'll be happy.

I think you are reading way too much into his relationship with Coach Kelly. From what I read it didn’t seem he disliked Kelly. Just did not know him nor know where he stood with him. At first. Consider that he was a young kid who had been recruited and signed by a coach that was fired and it makes sense he was nervous and insecure. Also from what I read they developed a good relationship once they got to know each other. Please don’t overthink it, especially not if you’re projecting your negative fantasies onto it.

I think you are reading way too much into his relationship with Coach Kelly. From what I read it didn’t seem he disliked Kelly. Just did not know him nor know where he stood with him. At first. Consider that he was a young kid who had been recruited and signed by a coach that was fired and it makes sense he was nervous and insecure. Also from what I read they developed a good relationship once they got to know each other. Please don’t overthink it, especially not if you’re projecting your negative fantasies onto it.
I think we are on the same page. I have no negative fantasies about this player, or any other.

I think we are on the same page. I have no negative fantasies about this player, or any other.
Maybe I misunderstood or read too much into your comment that he “didn’t like Kelly”.

I’ve seen too many allegations of an attitude problem when it seems to me just as likely to be immaturity and fear that his NFL meal ticket just crumbled beneath him.

Maybe I misunderstood or read too much into your comment that he “didn’t like Kelly”.

I’ve seen too many allegations of an attitude problem when it seems to me just as likely to be immaturity and fear that his NFL meal ticket just crumbled beneath him.
Didn't like Kelly may have been poorly worded, I forgot I have to be pretty precise around these parts, as words can get really parsed. ;) Based on your follow up, I think we are 100% on the same page. It could be as simple as he's not good with unexpected change, is a little immature and took his athleticism for granted and thought he'd kill the combine. Maybe. He's really young, so it could be that easy. Let's hope this is his wake up call and comes in here and destroys the NFL much like an older 6th rounder we all know.

Didn't like Kelly may have been poorly worded, I forgot I have to be pretty precise around these parts, as words can get really parsed. ;) Based on your follow up, I think we are 100% on the same page. It could be as simple as he's not good with unexpected change, is a little immature and took his athleticism for granted and thought he'd kill the combine. Maybe. He's really young, so it could be that easy. Let's hope this is his wake up call and comes in here and destroys the NFL much like an older 6th rounder we all know.
The more I think about his age and the whole injury situation the more I think it’s the combination of immaturity and extreme challenge. This conversation is helping me think it through, thanks a lot. I think he had taken his athleticism for granted before the injury, and shattering his ankle shattered that illusion as well. I‘m not sure he thought he’d kill the combine, I think he feared the injury had killed his hope of an NFL career. That wasn’t just an unexpected change it was a potentially life altering or at least career altering change. That would be tough for anybody to handle, and being so very very young he was particularly ill prepared for it.

I really hope Kayshon is listening to Groh’s comments and that they aren’t just empty words:
“He’s got all the potential in the world. If he wants to apply himself and to reach that potential… look, we are going to do everything we can to help him succeed. We’re going to give him every resource we can. As the saying goes: Players are our greatest resource. We made an investment in Kayshon here in the sixth round, so looking forward to see what he can do with his opportunity.”
Hopefully if counseling will help him get his head straight he’ll get the best the Patriots can provide.

So, in order to get rid of Bryant, you want
Douglas at WR instead of Boutte
Speed at 5th CB

Do you want Bolden or Wade as the 6th CB

Speed at 5th CB

I can’t speak for daBruinz but speaking for myself I like Bolden over Speed as 5th CB. I think he’s got wicked good measurables and maybe some of Deion’s skills transferred. I’ve been hoping for more from Wade since he got here but don’t care if Speed beats him out, he’s had his chances and the light didn’t come on for him.

Speed at 5th CB

Not what I said. I want to get rid of Bryant. Period. End of Story. In his case, it's addition by Subtraction. And his being gone is not dependent on anyone else making the team.

Bryant was getting Reps as the 4th CB last year. I want those reps going to Marcus Jones or Marte Mapu depending on the situation.

I don't see Wade making the final roster. That doesn't mean Bolden will either.

Players you've chosen to ignore, but who are ALSO in the mix, include Rodney Randle and Quandre Mosely.

As for Douglas v. Boutte, Douglas brings special teams Punt Return ability that Boutte does not.

As much as I love Bourne and think he can be a dynamic receiver, lining up either outside or in the slot, he's gotta win his job. So does Parker. Neither's job is safe. Particularly if Parker get's injured as he is apt.

For reference purposes only, I have included Randle's and Mosely's RAS card. Mosley had height (6'0), Speed (4.4) and a good 3-cone. Randle has speed (4.3) and a good SS (but not great).

1682984272877.png

Not what I said. I want to get rid of Bryant. Period. End of Story. In his case, it's addition by Subtraction. And his being gone is not dependent on anyone else making the team.

Bryant was getting Reps as the 4th CB last year. I want those reps going to Marcus Jones or Marte Mapu depending on the situation.

I don't see Wade making the final roster. That doesn't mean Bolden will either.

Players you've chosen to ignore, but who are ALSO in the mix, include Rodney Randle and Quandre Mosely.

As for Douglas v. Boutte, Douglas brings special teams Punt Return ability that Boutte does not.

As much as I love Bourne and think he can be a dynamic receiver, lining up either outside or in the slot, he's gotta win his job. So does Parker. Neither's job is safe. Particularly if Parker get's injured as he is apt.

For reference purposes only, I have included Randle's and Mosely's RAS card. Mosley had height (6'0), Speed (4.4) and a good 3-cone. Randle has speed (4.3) and a good SS (but not great).

View attachment 51097
So, we need to start with priorities. Yours is to cut Bryant and move on. Folks have wanted the team to find someone last year (see also Ferentz.
To cut someone, Belichick requires that they believe that the replacement is better for the team. This hasn't happened yet with Bryant (Ferentz, or even Montgomery).

I AGREE that we want upgrades to Bryant. Belichick always wants upgrades. The question is whether he found any.
=======================
LET'S PLAY
1) We have Gonzales and the Jones boys.
2) We have Mills, Dugger, Peppers, and Phiilips.
3) We have Mapu who most list as Duggar clone (SS/LB)
4) That's NINE position DB's. I certainly hope than no one else gets any position reps.

NEEDS
A) I think that we NEED a 5th CB. Personally, I see Marcus Jones as a fine utility player.
B) Some think that we should have 6 DB's, given that we are in the AFC.
C) We NEED a 2nd punt returner, especially if we are counting on Marcus for lots of reps on Defense.

OPTIONS ON OUR 90 MAN SQUAD

INCUMBANT CB's: BRYANT and WADE

OTHERS
Randle
Mosely
Bledsoe
Hawkins
Speed
Bolden
==================
LET ME VERY. VERY CLEAR
I want Bolden and Speed to win the roster spots.
==============================
DEFERRED SIDE ISSUE - BACKUP PUNT RETURNER
Yes, it will be a plus for someone trying to make the roster to be a backup punt returner.

So, we need to start with priorities. Yours is to cut Bryant and move on. Folks have wanted the team to find someone last year (see also Ferentz.
To cut someone, Belichick requires that they believe that the replacement is better for the team. This hasn't happened yet with Bryant (Ferentz, or even Montgomery).

I AGREE that we want upgrades to Bryant. Belichick always wants upgrades. The question is whether he found any.
=======================
LET'S PLAY
1) We have Gonzales and the Jones boys.
2) We have Mills, Dugger, Peppers, and Phiilips.
3) We have Mapu who most list as Duggar clone (SS/LB)
4) That's NINE position DB's. I certainly hope than no one else gets any position reps.

NEEDS
A) I think that we NEED a 5th CB. Personally, I see Marcus Jones as a fine utility player.
B) Some think that we should have 6 DB's, given that we are in the AFC.
C) We NEED a 2nd punt returner, especially if we are counting on Marcus for lots of reps on Defense.

OPTIONS ON OUR 90 MAN SQUAD

INCUMBANT CB's: BRYANT and WADE

OTHERS
Randle
Mosely
Bledsoe
Hawkins
Speed
Bolden
==================
LET ME VERY. VERY CLEAR
I want Bolden and Speed to win the roster spots.
==============================
DEFERRED SIDE ISSUE - BACKUP PUNT RETURNER
Yes, it will be a plus for someone trying to make the roster to be a backup punt returner.

Douglas is the backup punt returner and our slot reciever.

Douglas is the backup punt returner and our slot reciever.
I strongly disagree.

Douglas is unlikely to be so good that we want him active every week.

I suppose that you would have Bourne cut or on the inactive roster.
==============
And Schuster is our slot receiver.

MORSE: Draft Analysis and Thoughts on Patriots Rookie Mini Camp
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Back