PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A Thought about McDaniels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lockdown06

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
On these boards it seems like a lot of people are real upset with McDaniels over a lack of imagination, etc. in the offensive plays that he's been calling. I've also noticed it, and its disappointing, but you have to realize, he's kind of handcuffed with the personnel that he has to work with for receivers. I like Reche Caldwell and Troy Brown, i think that they're hardworking, tough receivers who give a lot of effort, but at the same time, everyone on this board knows that neither of them have the capabilities to be a legit #1 or even #2 at this point in their careers. Because of this situation, it limits exactly what McDaniels (or Brady, if he's in the no-huddle) can call at the moment. I would hesitate to flip out or blame anyone excessively until we see all four of our starting WRs on the field at the same time - then lets see what our offense is really capable of.

While you may be correct this 28 year old doesn't exactly have a wealth of experience running an NFL offense either.

I'm not dumping on McDaniels, but I am left scratching my head after last night's play-calling.

When have the Patriots, since the departure of Bledsoe, been considered a deep bomb, vertical passing team? Remember in 2001, when the dink-and-dunk passing game was considered a replacement for the Pats' running game?

The emergence of Branch and Givens in 2003 & 2004 definately opened up some intermediate-range passing options, but short passing was still the name of the game.

Now come 2006 -- we lose both of our starting receivers, and NOW we're going to start throwing the ball 40 yards? With rookies and new WRs? The only way I can buy it is off play-action once our emerging running game starts to really kick in. But last night, when the running game was struggling, the passing play-calling has to keep the chains moving, no?

Lockdown06 said:
On these boards it seems like a lot of people are real upset with McDaniels over a lack of imagination, etc. in the offensive plays that he's been calling. I've also noticed it, and its disappointing, but you have to realize, he's kind of handcuffed with the personnel that he has to work with for receivers. I like Reche Caldwell and Troy Brown, i think that they're hardworking, tough receivers who give a lot of effort, but at the same time, everyone on this board knows that neither of them have the capabilities to be a legit #1 or even #2 at this point in their careers. Because of this situation, it limits exactly what McDaniels (or Brady, if he's in the no-huddle) can call at the moment. I would hesitate to flip out or blame anyone excessively until we see all four of our starting WRs on the field at the same time - then lets see what our offense is really capable of.

GREAT post. See?! Some newbies are F-ing awesome. Well played. Please post more.

Lockdown06 said:

I agree that josh isn't the main problem right now, but personnel can't be an excuse-look at the receivers on the 2001 roster:Troy, Patten, Coleman, Charles (Johnson?). I'm sure they didn't keep many d coordinators up all night worrying, but they did manage to have some very good games - Patten's 3 score performance against Indy, Fred Coleman's big game against the jets, and the high- scoring games against the chargers,saints. In my opinion, the players on the team are being asked to do things that they are not very good at. I'm not saying that they are bad players, but you have to know what you'v got and go with it. I think that the coaches have to realize the talent level of this team and make a game plan that plays more towards the individual strengths of the players.

He didn't do that great last year. Givens and Branch were here.

NEM said:
Inside slants, crossing patterns, flat passes...all designed for exactly that, along with play action...Obviously McDaniels likes repeating plays that dont work and expects different results. He is out of his league, way overmaltched.

:yeahthat: True that

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore