PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Battle plan

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I've been giving this a lot of thought lately, and decided to make myself the GM for the next 3 months and create a battle plan that will make us competitive within 2 years and enjoyable (at worst) to watch next year.

FA -

1. Our own - Most of this should be credited to Phil Perry. He did all the work, I just liked most of what he chose.

Resign - Owenu, Duggar, Henry, (and I'd add small deals for PBrown, and MWilson)

Add- Ridley WR, JWilliams OT, KFuller CB and DHunter Edge. Perry gives fair market deals to everyone and still claims to have over $10MM left when you get to camp. (it would be even more if you add Wilson as your bridge QB at around $1MM rather than Brissett at $8MM like Perry did.)

With Hunter on the team you trade MJudon for a 3rd or 4th, and instead of having a great rusher who is 32 and near the end, you have a great YOUNG rusher and resign Uche and go with Hunter, Uche and Jennings as your 3 edge guy rotation

That is a lot of money an a LOT of holes filled. Then you can have as fairly solid OL of Williams, Strange, Andrews, Sow, Owenu. Henry at TE and a WR group of Ridley and Parker on the outside and Pop in the slot. That is a good start to an improvement at WR. We have a clear #1 in Ridley and a solid guy in Parker with size on the other side. Douglas, who was probably our best WR last season should make a leap.

The other thing I do before the draft is to extend Barmore. I would really like to see that happen well before camp.

Draft -

Now the REALLY hard stuff needs to happen. First a decision has to be made at QB. I like adding Wilson, because at worst he's a quality NFL starter and whomever you add at QB will benefit from sitting for a year or 2.

I have heard so much about all the QB's so far. Williams seems like he's a lock to go #1. Daniels, has all the physical talent in the world and will likely rise after the combine. Maye has close to the athletic ability and escapability, but he's likely to be the more durable. Seems like you can't lose with any of those first 3 picks. Unfortunately history has shown us that at LEAST, one of those picks are going to bust or at best disappoint. Seems like a crap shoot when the music stops one of those first 3 picks are going to unable to find a seat at the table.

The concensus is that after those 3 there are 3 very good QB prospects that will be available (McCarthy, Pennix, and Nix) and for various reasons were thought to be end of the first round top 10 of the 2nd round talent. McCarthy because he is so young and wasn't asked to do much at Michigan, Pennix because of age and injury issues, and Nix because of age and arm questions. (you might want to add Rattler as well) But the bottom line is that there IS a gap between the first and 2nd tier QB's.

History tells us that the hype on QB's will only go UP as the draft season goes on. I'm seeing a lot of mocks where McCarthy is going in the 10-12 range. It would not shock me in the least to see 6 guys picked in the first round.

So in a draft where I think I need to pick 4 guys who will have significant roles by year 2, I want as many picks as possible on day 2, I will be willing to trade that #3 for to Atlanta at #8 for their 2nd in this round and a conditional first round pick in 25 (based on percentage of snaps the #3 pick takes in 24, lets say 55%) Then if it looks like McCarthy might still be there at 12, I'd trade down again with Denver (with the promise that they won't take McCarthy with #8 and pick up 3rd round picks in this year and next year's draft.

Then I get McCarthy at #12 and have added AT LEAST 2 quality picks in this draft and a likely first and 3rd in net year's draft. I get my QB of the future and when he's ready to start, he won't be 21 year old 201lb QB with a decent arm, but a much stronger 220lb guy with a strong arm in a year or 2.

The next part of my draft strategy is to go against conventional wisdom and when it comes time to look at receivers, think TE and not WR. Simply because it is harder to find the quality TE than the quality WR. There are simply so MANY NFL caliber WR's that the colleges are producing that you HAVE to go looking for the rarer species. In my ideal scenario with my first pick in the 2nd I'm looking for the best TE available. with my 2nd I'm looking OT

The end result of this strategy is that you fill most of the holes you had on the OL. You add your QB of the future without having to jump right in and start his first year, You have 4 more picks in the top 100 to add depth and explosiveness plus adding 2 more high picks for next year's draft. Imho, this strategy will leave us with the probability of having a competitive interesting team to watch next year, with an outside chance of a playoff appearance, and going into 2025 with a reasonable amount of cap space and 2 first round picks.

I'm so happy with this plan I gave myself a contract extension. What do you think?

I've been giving this a lot of thought lately, and decided to make myself the GM for the next 3 months and create a battle plan that will make us competitive within 2 years and enjoyable (at worst) to watch next year.

FA -

1. Our own - Most of this should be credited to Phil Perry. He did all the work, I just liked most of what he chose.

Resign - Owenu, Duggar, Henry, (and I'd add small deals for PBrown, and MWilson)

Add- Ridley WR, JWilliams OT, KFuller CB and DHunter Edge. Perry gives fair market deals to everyone and still claims to have over $10MM left when you get to camp. (it would be even more if you add Wilson as your bridge QB at around $1MM rather than Brissett at $8MM like Perry did.)

With Hunter on the team you trade MJudon for a 3rd or 4th, and instead of having a great rusher who is 32 and near the end, you have a great YOUNG rusher and resign Uche and go with Hunter, Uche and Jennings as your 3 edge guy rotation

That is a lot of money an a LOT of holes filled. Then you can have as fairly solid OL of Williams, Strange, Andrews, Sow, Owenu. Henry at TE and a WR group of Ridley and Parker on the outside and Pop in the slot. That is a good start to an improvement at WR. We have a clear #1 in Ridley and a solid guy in Parker with size on the other side. Douglas, who was probably our best WR last season should make a leap.

The other thing I do before the draft is to extend Barmore. I would really like to see that happen well before camp.

Draft -

Now the REALLY hard stuff needs to happen. First a decision has to be made at QB. I like adding Wilson, because at worst he's a quality NFL starter and whomever you add at QB will benefit from sitting for a year or 2.

I have heard so much about all the QB's so far. Williams seems like he's a lock to go #1. Daniels, has all the physical talent in the world and will likely rise after the combine. Maye has close to the athletic ability and escapability, but he's likely to be the more durable. Seems like you can't lose with any of those first 3 picks. Unfortunately history has shown us that at LEAST, one of those picks are going to bust or at best disappoint. Seems like a crap shoot when the music stops one of those first 3 picks are going to unable to find a seat at the table.

The concensus is that after those 3 there are 3 very good QB prospects that will be available (McCarthy, Pennix, and Nix) and for various reasons were thought to be end of the first round top 10 of the 2nd round talent. McCarthy because he is so young and wasn't asked to do much at Michigan, Pennix because of age and injury issues, and Nix because of age and arm questions. (you might want to add Rattler as well) But the bottom line is that there IS a gap between the first and 2nd tier QB's.

History tells us that the hype on QB's will only go UP as the draft season goes on. I'm seeing a lot of mocks where McCarthy is going in the 10-12 range. It would not shock me in the least to see 6 guys picked in the first round.

So in a draft where I think I need to pick 4 guys who will have significant roles by year 2, I want as many picks as possible on day 2, I will be willing to trade that #3 for to Atlanta at #8 for their 2nd in this round and a conditional first round pick in 25 (based on percentage of snaps the #3 pick takes in 24, lets say 55%) Then if it looks like McCarthy might still be there at 12, I'd trade down again with Denver (with the promise that they won't take McCarthy with #8 and pick up 3rd round picks in this year and next year's draft.

Then I get McCarthy at #12 and have added AT LEAST 2 quality picks in this draft and a likely first and 3rd in net year's draft. I get my QB of the future and when he's ready to start, he won't be 21 year old 201lb QB with a decent arm, but a much stronger 220lb guy with a strong arm in a year or 2.

The next part of my draft strategy is to go against conventional wisdom and when it comes time to look at receivers, think TE and not WR. Simply because it is harder to find the quality TE than the quality WR. There are simply so MANY NFL caliber WR's that the colleges are producing that you HAVE to go looking for the rarer species. In my ideal scenario with my first pick in the 2nd I'm looking for the best TE available. with my 2nd I'm looking OT

The end result of this strategy is that you fill most of the holes you had on the OL. You add your QB of the future without having to jump right in and start his first year, You have 4 more picks in the top 100 to add depth and explosiveness plus adding 2 more high picks for next year's draft. Imho, this strategy will leave us with the probability of having a competitive interesting team to watch next year, with an outside chance of a playoff appearance, and going into 2025 with a reasonable amount of cap space and 2 first round picks.

I'm so happy with this plan I gave myself a contract extension. What do you think?
I like the draft strategy, coach.

I like McCarthy. I think Pennix is limited, he's the second coming of Jump Ball Joe in my opinion. Throws a nice long ball, but the Pats don't have the horses to match his skill set. I am not sure I would drop back to 12 if the experts are saying McCarthy rises to 10-12. I'd take him at 8 and be safe. But that's just me.

Maybe there's room on your staff for this bald coach from NH, but I am gonna be pounding on the table while making a case to keep Judon.

Would Williams be RT? Dont want him for LT. Want a stud LT at 3rd if no QB.

Good write up. I normally don't read posts this long.

How about signing Baker Mayfield to a longer-term deal?

As far as Onwenu is concerned, Lazar thinks that AVP will want to run a lot of outside zone and that Onwenu might not be a great fit for that scheme at tackle. I assume the same would hold true at Guard as well. He thinks Sow is athletic enough. The same should certainly hold true for Strange. I know there is a movement in the NFL to be able to run both outside zone and gap schemes to counter defenses so it will be interesting to see how they treat Onwenu. PFF loves him and considers him the top FA O lineman this year. I wonder if a tag and trade scenario is at play? If they don't resign him, its going to be real interesting to see how we address the tackle position.

So are we now universally on the “we have to draft JJ McCarthy” train now? I respect the analysis but if we aren’t taking one of the top 3 projected QBs, just take MHJ (if available).

Who am I to say though. If the organization is really confident in the kid go ahead but I’m skeptical that they’ll do it.

Last edited:
The next part of my draft strategy is to go against conventional wisdom and when it comes time to look at receivers, think TE and not WR. Simply because it is harder to find the quality TE than the quality WR. There are simply so MANY NFL caliber WR's that the colleges are producing that you HAVE to go looking for the rarer species.

But look at the price of the respective franchise tags:

WR: $21.8 million
TE: $12.7 million

Suggests a top WR is a lot more valuable than a top TE. And there is an argument that for a high draft pick, you go where the maximum value is.

Today, over at "The Athletic" the writers did a mock draft...

- Pick #3 was dealt to the Falcons for pick #8, 2024 2nd (43 I think), and a 2025 1st.
- Pick #8 was then used on the OT from Penn State...Fashu something.
- And we then gave up our original 2nd rounder for Justin Fields.

Food for thought.....

FA -

Draft -

Whose the interim QB before the rookie can play? Didn't see it unless I missed it.

If you're talking Calvin Ridley I'd run the other way. Too many problems

I like what you have done here Ken after the '21 draft (Wilson, Lance, Fields and Jones) my faith in football prognosticators has pretty much hit the crapper.
I like the idea of amassing draft Capital as this team has so many holed, is JJ McCarthy the answer?? No one knows, but trading the #3 pick can allow this team to fill some of the many of the obvious holes on the Patriots.

Today, over at "The Athletic" the writers did a mock draft...

- Pick #3 was dealt to the Falcons for pick #8, 2024 2nd (43 I think), and a 2025 1st.
- Pick #8 was then used on the OT from Penn State...Fashu something.
- And we then gave up our original 2nd rounder for Justin Fields.

Food for thought.....

Just ****ing shoot me.

So are we now universally on the “we have to draft JJ McCarthy” train now? I respect the analysis but if we aren’t taking one of the top 3 projected QBs, just take MHJ (if available).

Who am I to say though. If the organization is really confident in the kid go ahead but I’m skeptical that they’ll do it.

Don’t know about universally (somehow on this board I seriously doubt that); ….

but ever since BGC‘s write-up/analysis I’m sold on McCarthy. … Especially if he gets to sit a year ( like in your plan & some other Mi QB we once had).

FA -

Draft -

I doubt we can get two trade-downs out of the 3 and still get McCarthy ( and I wouldn’t want the „other 2d tiers“)

Just based on odds & not any knowledge: I also think at least one of your FA buys won’t happen (personal reasons /patriots rep / whatever). Just can’t tell you which one.
So that takes away one solution and essentially twodraft picks: one not received in trade and one consumed to fill lack of a FA.

otherwise a solid plan I could applaud.

I watched McCarthy play last year and was not impressed.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back