PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Don't Expect Too Many Contributors From The Draft [MOD EDIT]

Not expecting rookie to be able to contribute just means you aren't good at drafting. Bluntest way to put it.
Fair enough

That's similar to expecting us to win all our games

Just be prepared to be disappointed.

More than half of draftees NEVER contribute, not as rookies, not ever.

The 1975 Patriots draft brought them Russ Francis at 1 and Steve Grogan at 4, with a dependable Rod Shoate at 2. The 1976 draft results were Mike Haynes at 1, Pete Brock at 1, and Tim Fox at 1. The 1977 brought Raymond Clayborn at 1, Stanley Morgan at 1, Horace Ivory at 2, and Don Hasselback at 2. The Pats knew how to draft back then.

If a bad team doesn't get contributions from their high draft picks in each round, then that's a recipe for getting your HC/GM fired.

Fair enough

That's similar to expecting us to win all our games

Just be prepared to be disappointed.

More than half of draftees NEVER contribute, not as rookies, not ever.
That’s not the same thing as expecting none to contribute.

round 1 Christian Gonzalez - CB1 before injury
round 2 Keion White - rotational edge
round 4 Sidy Sow - starting RG
round 6 Demario Douglas - WR3 forced into bigger role due to injuries

Expecting something similar from this draft is reasonable IMO

1995 Pats draft was the best of my lifetime (granting that drafting Brady alone made a draft one of the best ever….).
1st round - Ty Law, NFL HOF
2nd round - Ted Johnson, potential Patriots HOF
3rd round - Curtis Martin, NFL HOF
Hell of a draft. I didn't start following the team closely till middle school so the late 90's drafts/teams are what I remember most but looking at a few of those mid 90's drafts we had some good ones.

1993:
Bledsoe
Chris Slade
Vincent Brisbey
Troy Brown

1996:
Terry Glenn
Lawyer Milloy
Tedy Bruschi

Then 1998 and 1999 with a few solid to good players and some "what if's" with Damien Woody, Kevin Faulk, Tebucky Jones, Robert Edwards, and Andy Katzenmoyer.

There's been plenty of years that they scored in the draft, just none since Bill cared more about coachability and leadership than playmaking. Bill's gone, and his player eval system is gone too. I expect them to get 3-4 contributors right off. This administration has a lot to prove and a chance to set their mark right out of the box.

I look for them to crush it.

The funny thing is we nailed this last draft, but our overall talent was so bad it didn't make much of a difference.
Our QB and OT talent and play made the difference.

The very good draft will continue to pay dividends.

Not expecting rookie to be able to contribute just means you aren't good at drafting. Bluntest way to put it.
One of the things that made me the most nuts about Bill's drafting was how slowly he would get some of the early round picks integrated with the starters. Guys like Dugger and Uche took forever to get on the field consistently in their rookie year even as it was clear that team was going nowhere. Same thing with the running backs needing to sit for most of their rookie seasons even though they have the shortest shelf life of any position on the roster. It's like buying a gallon of milk, opening it, and then deliberately waiting two weeks to drink any of it. I get there are pass protections and all that but I really hope the consistent red shirt years go away.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back