PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sidy Sow - Conflicting Opinions

INSIDE (5)
Strange, Andrews, Onwenu, Mafi, Russey
If Onwenu isn't ready, I suspect that Ferentz will make the 53 (or will be signed within a week)
==============================
TACKLES (4)
Brown, Reiff, Sow, McDermott
When and if Anderson is ready, he will replace McDermott or Reiff.
============
DEVELOPMENTAL PLAYER - JAKE ANDREWS (1)
1) There is no such thing as Foxborough flu.
It is a terrible idea for a rookie to be out for a year, rather than practicing with the team for most of the year.
2) Belichick will not cut a 4th rounder.
3) One option is for Andrews to be on the 53, and at some point go on IR for part of the year.
============
BOTTOM LINE
I wanted 5 interior OL's and 4 OT's for a total of 9. With Jake Andrews not ready, I think that 10 is more likely.
Generally agree with your takes. They have too many OL's, so the game will to be to stash some of them till 2024. Anderson could stay on that illness list for the year. Hines will be cut. Ferentz likely cut, though he's sticky somehow. Steuber should make it through to the PS.

As a high 4th rounder, you'd think Jake Andrews wouldn't get through to the PS, but he's not been impressive so they probably can do it. Scratching my head about that pick, it's not looking like a good one at this point.

McDermott, Reiff and Russey are probably safe.

there is always an outlier, so call me wrong for a pick from 50 years ago.
I wasn’t a fan of the Strange pick, but picking a guard in the first round is not an outlier, and it’s even more common to see a guard or center taken in the first two rounds.

In 2022, there was:

• Kenyon Green #15
• Zion Johnson #17

Tyler Smith taken at #24 has played more snaps at guard than at tackle. Tyler Linderbaum taken at #25 is a center, perhaps that is seen as a slightly more valuable position (that’s how I look at it).

If you consider centers and guards, looking at the past 5 drafts, on average there seems to be 2 or 3 taken in the first round and 7 or 8 in the first two rounds each year. I say “seems to be” because it is also common to see a guy drafted as a tackle then shifted to guard (such as in Tyler Smith’s case where I think he is their LT1 of the future and is too good to leave off the field).

I would have been happy if the Pats took Smith, Karlaftis, J. Johnson, or Elam at #21 or Watson instead of Strange at #29 last year but that’s ancient history now, so will am glad Strange was a plug and play starter as a rookie and hope he progresses.

:)

The key for me is that he be on the 53 so that he can practice with the team. And yes, lots of OL's are injured sometime in the season and out for 6 weeks on IR. This is much, much different that the idea some folks have of putting a
player on IR before the 53 is decided, cancelling the players full season.

there is always an outlier, so call me wrong for a pick from 50 years ago.
Good first round guards aren’t outliers, Quentin Nelson, Chris Lindstrom, Alijah Vera Tucker, Kenyon Green, Zion Johnson, Cole Strange… there are plenty of quality guards who were taken over the last five years.

Good first round guards aren’t outliers, Quentin Nelson, Chris Lindstrom, Alijah Vera Tucker, Kenyon Green, Zion Johnson, Cole Strange… there are plenty of quality guards who were taken over the last five years.
There are folks here who are apparently opposed to taking anyone who can't score fantasy points...

There are folks here who are apparently opposed to taking anyone who can't score fantasy points...

This isn't just on here, it has infected all of sports fandom. Facebook likes, twitter tribalism, fantasy football, etc. all part of a massive instant gratification dopamine society. It sucks for forums like this because it is inconsistent from good analytical thought.

Sidy Sow does not look like he has the feet to play tackle to me. Look at the difference between how he uses his feet and how Trent Brown uses his feet in these clips...

Brown outweighs Sow by 50 lbs and looks far more nimble by comparison. Sow's in-game agility is reminiscent of Yodny Cajuste.

Sidy Sow does not look like he has the feet to play tackle to me. Look at the difference between how he uses his feet and how Trent Brown uses his feet in these clips...

Brown outweighs Sow by 50 lbs and looks far more nimble by comparison. Sow's in-game agility is reminiscent of Yodny Cajuste.

We don't know that at this point. There isn't anywhere near enough evidence, for us, to judge his foot speed. Just a fraction of a second of uncertainty can make an OT look very slow. He's supposed to have that uncertainty right now; that's why he's getting reps, to gradually get rid of it.

Last night I re-watched the Sow vs Houston's Mister Anderson, whose last play that game occurred with about 3:42 left in the first quarter, for a grand total of Two drives & 9 snaps...

- The 3rd-down sack allowed on the Pats' first drive (after the Mills INT) was absolutely the Sow's fault; don't know why he would lean left in the first place... His left arm might've been held a little by wiley vet Hassan Ridgeway, but it never should've been that close to him anyway.

EDIT: Leaving the original above post here, but wanted to amend it by stating that what I wanted to convey was that Sow did indeed lose this rep to Anderson, and Not that he directly allowed the sack, which looked mostly due to Ferentz not picking up the delayed blitzer... This should also put to rest the Lie that Sow was 5/5 in pass-blocking snaps vs Anderson; at best he was 2/3 because I'm not counting the inside screen, stunt & double-team.

Just wanted to clear that up... Carry on.

- The long 3rd-down conversion to Thornton during the 2nd drive (snap #6) occurred while Anderson & Ridgeway stunted; Sow stayed on the right to pick up Ridgeway...

- The very next play (#7) might've been Sow's best pass-blocking snap against him: one-on-one, and stood him up while the throw was going over their heads...

- And the last snap of the night for Anderson saw him get double-teamed by Sow & Harris while Zappy scrambled away from them to his left...

- The other 5 snaps (run, dump-off, run, inside screen & run) were fairly inconsequential to the result of those plays, with neither player showing demonstrable advantage over the other.

Not many conclusions to be drawn here, but at least Sow stayed on his feet whenever he was engaged with Anderson; and that's good news...
The bad news is that he provided no push at all during the 3 running snaps vs each other; and he also demonstrated the overall cluelessness of somebody who hadn't played the position in a few years, if ever... And Kody Russey provided more hindrance than help for him too; as a Right Guard,
the dude totally sucks.

Still can't believe they're going with him as their starter at RT with Mac as the starter at QB.

Last edited:
Was really hoping Sow would get a year of development before sliding in at RT. Think he can be a solid starter once he gets caught up on the speed and technique.

You know what Trent Brown played like when he first started?

Let's hold our horses people. Sow is clearly playing tentatively. Let him get reps, learn tricks, build confidence. He won't be the first mid round pick that requires seasoning.

Last night I re-watched the Sow vs Houston's Mister Anderson, whose last play that game occurred with about 3:42 left in the first quarter, for a grand total of Two drives & 9 snaps...

- The 3rd-down sack allowed on the Pats' first drive (after the Mills INT) was absolutely the Sow's fault; don't know why he would lean left in the first place... His left arm might've been held a little by wiley vet Hassan Ridgeway, but it never should've been that close to him anyway.

- The long 3rd-down conversion to Thornton during the 2nd drive (snap #6) occurred while Anderson & Ridgeway stunted; Sow stayed on the right to pick up Ridgeway...

- The very next play (#7) might've been Sow's best pass-blocking snap against him: one-on-one, and stood him up while the throw was going over their heads...

- And the last snap of the night for Anderson saw him get double-teamed by Sow & Harris while Zappy scrambled away from them to his left...

- The other 5 snaps (run, dump-off, run, inside screen & run) were fairly inconsequential to the result of those plays, with neither player showing demonstrable advantage over the other.

Not many conclusions to be drawn here, but at least Sow stayed on his feet whenever he was engaged with Anderson; and that's good news...
The bad news is that he provided no push at all during the 3 running snaps vs each other; and he also demonstrated the overall cluelessness of somebody who hadn't played the position in a few years, if ever... And Kody Russey provided more hindrance than help for him too; as a Right Guard,
the dude totally sucks.

Still can't believe they're going with him as their starter at RT with Mac as the starter at QB.
What a load of BS. We literally had this argument already about the Texans game and it lasted pages.

Sow played well again yesterday. Sure he got caught on his heels on a nice play by a Packers defensive end, Mac still had 5 seconds to throw and their DB’s didn’t allow an inch or our guys didn’t get open.

Rhamondre and the ones averaged almost 7 yards per rushing attempt, Mac had all day to throw outside of that one sack with the ones. The rushing TD came on an off tackle run right behind Sow.

What happened later when Stueber and the twos went in was predictable. We have no depth with Strange, Onwenu, Russey and Anderson injured. Hopefully they should be back.

LT – Trent Brown, Calvin Anderson (I),
LG – Cole Strange,
C – David Andrews,
Kody Russey, Jake Andrews,
RG – Michael Onwenu, Antonio Mafi
RT – Sidy Sow, Riley Reiff, Connor McDermot (PS),

Again… the starting unit and immediate backups are one of the better lines in the AFC when healthy. They need to get healthy.

Last edited:
Sow starting at RT week 1 is scary. Mafi or Reiff at RG, Onwenu at RT if healthy, Bill won’t do that tho.

What a load of BS. We literally had this argument already about the Texans game and it lasted pages.

Sow played well again yesterday. Sure he got caught on his heels on a nice play by a Packers defensive end, Mac still had 5 seconds to throw and their DB’s didn’t allow an inch or our guys didn’t get open.

Rhamondre and the ones averaged almost 7 yards per rushing attempt, Mac had all day to throw outside of that one sack with the ones. The rushing TD came on an off tackle run right behind Sow.

What happened later when Stueber and the twos went in was predictable. We have no depth with Strange, Onwenu and Anderson injured. Hopefully they should be back.

LT – Trent Brown, Calvin Anderson (I),
LG – Cole Strange,
C – David Andrews,
Kody Russey, Jake Andrews,
RG – Michael Onwenu, Antonio Mafi
RT – Sidy Sow, Riley Reiff, Connor McDermot (PS),

Again… the starting unit and immediate backups are one of the better lines in the AFC when healthy. They need to get healthy.
1) Isn't more likely that ONwenu is on PUP, and Reiff starts the season at RT?
2) McDermott should on the 53.
3) I don't think that our OL is one of the better OL's. That's OK. It is much improved from last year.
3a) Reiff replaces Wynn
Sow replaces Cajuste, and
Mafi replaces Ferentz (backup OG)
Anderson may be available to replace McDermott

the dude totally sucks.

WTF? That play has been endlessly discussed. You don't think the unopposed delayed MLB blitz that actually resulted in the sack might just be someone else's fault?

Last edited:

Brown has very quick feet for a guy his size, that's what makes him good. He's an above average OT.

1) Isn't more likely that ONwenu is on PUP, and Reiff starts the season at RT?
2) McDermott should on the 53.
3) I don't think that our OL is one of the better OL's. That's OK. It is much improved from last year.
3a) Reiff replaces Wynn
Sow replaces Cajuste, and
Mafi replaces Ferentz (backup OG)
Anderson may be available to replace McDermott
It's possible Reiff starts at RT if Onwenu is available and they want to squeeze every dime from his old body. It will depend of them going back and viewing the film from yesterday.

If Onwenu isn't available, maybe Reiff is at OG and Sow is still the RT. They may not want to play two rookies on the right side. But if they're going to play their best, biggest, most physical line and Onwenu isn't healthy they'll play Mafi and Sow on the right side.

People hemming and hawing about Sow giving up a speed to power sack yesterday seem to forget that Solder, Vollmer, Cannon and all who came before them weren't perfect as rookies. Trent Brown was considered a bust by San Francisco towards the tail end of his rookie contract, it's why they traded him to us. Scar and the Patriots revived his career and got him paid handsomely.

Rookies make mistakes, they learn and improve, this is how player development works. Sow and Mafi have what a lot of rookie OLinemen don't, gobs of size, athleticism and they already look good in their development... ahead of schedule. They look like they belong. Stueber, Hines... they've never showed that.

WTF? That play has been endlessly discussed. You don't think the unopposed delayed MLB blitz that actually resulted in the sack might just be someone else's fault?

Allow me then to correct myself:

The sack itself wasn't the Sow's fault: the delayed blitz up the middle was the main culprit; that is inarguable, and that's how I should've stated it. Apologies for implying that it was.

However, the Sow absolutely Lost that rep to Anderson; that is Also inarguable, and that's how I should've stated that one.

P.S.: Also edited my original post to avoid further confusion.

Last edited:
Never claimed that the sack itself was the Sow's fault, but thank you (& the other blind homer Wozzy) for playing.
LOL... yeah the guys who developed Thuney, Vollmer, Solder, Onwenu can't recognize a good player when they see one.

But the guy on Patsfans.com who constantly tells us every player we have sucks, he can... sounds legit.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back