PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Best special team plays in Patriot history

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soliel

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
That’s great lewis

i say that’s the best special teams play. Or top four at least ever. Opinions?

A couple of Troy Brown special team plays top the Dion Lewis play, in my opinion.

Adam Vinatieri field goals vs the Raiders in the snow is arguably the best ST play ever as well.

There were some great special team plays in the 1985 post-season too. Mosi Tatupu forcing a fumble and Jim Bowman recovering the ball in the end zone for the winning score to beat the Raiders. That led to the Squish the Fish Game, ending an 18-year streak of Patriot losses in Miami. The whole world wanted the Dolphins and Chicago in the Super Bowl, as Miami was the only team to defeat the might Bears and their 46 defense that season. It was incredibly awesome to be fan of the pats that season.

That’s great lewis

It was great but I cant put it over Ellis Hobb's 108 yard kickoff return for a TD against the Jets in 07 when there was only a 7 point lead. It was the record for a KO TD return at that point.

But none of this really matters since Captain Stone said ST dont really matter.

AV Snow Kick - in terms of difficulty
DA 2 Point Conv - Dont win SB without
Bowman's Recovery - Dont advance to AFCCG without
White 2 Point Conv - Dont win SB without
AV Kick to win SB against Panthers.

Those might be the top 5 in terms of importance.

Edit and of course the AV kick to win the SB VS Rams.

Last edited:
One thing though that came to mind reading these great historic moments, was that as a collective body of work in one game, and labelled under Special Teams, the performance of the guys blocking punts and returning kicks and generally raising hell on the other team last night was indeed a stand out. And the variety was really fascinating to watch and enjoy.

It's amazing how many there have been over the years. There almost needs to be different categories. Kicks, returns, blocks...........or at least playoffs and regular season.

The Welker botched punt in OT where he could have fair caught it and it hit off another Bronco was pretty awesome.

Didn't they block a punt be LA in 85 AFC div game at the coliseum? Seem to remember a Jim Bowman blocked punt or recovery for a td... Anyway it was a huge play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents