PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Belichick Appreciation Thread

In almost 30 years that he acted as de facto GM (incl CLE) Bill never had an opportunity to pick in the top 5.
He never gave himself that opportunity with his continuous, relentless success.
He loved those players, worked them out, craved to coach them, sometimes signed them much further down the road
but made them always out of reach on Draft night.

Browns had a #2 pick just before he took the GM duties there. And Pats have #3 just when he leaves.

He also leaves the organization with most Cap Space in the league over the next 3 years,
something he was never able to enjoy himself..

-.-
Sets the next guy up.

Five things I appreciated most about him (I wrote this somewhere else):

1. Roster construction emphasized depth over star power. 22 starters for an NFL team, makes sense to spread it around.

2. Making sure most of the players didn't freelance, so that they could excel at what they did well.

3. Discipline. So many players go off on their coaches, they can't be counted on in the nitty gritty moments.

4. I had confidence that Belichick always had a real chance to beat you in the playoffs no matter the construction of the team (Rams in '01, Chargers in '06, Colts whenever, etc.)

5. The many times he won against one of the greatest offenses in NFL history: Denver 2013, Chiefs 2018, Atlanta 2016, Rams 2000 and 2018, and Colts 2004.

Well, the other shoe has finally dropped.

I have mixed feelings tonight. This past season was horrible. Since I became a Pats fan almost 30 years ago, the worst record they ever had was 5-11 (ironically, in Bill's first year.) More than once over the last few months I thought it was time for him to go. Maybe the game had passed him by, maybe he just didn't have the personnel, maybe this, maybe that. But as a friend of mine pointed out, if he left, who the hell was going to come in and be able to right the ship just like that?

I'm no John Madden, but IMHO the era of one man being both coach and GM is over. It's just too much for one person to do in the modern NFL. But what do I know?

What I do know is that no man has ever accomplished as much as Bill Belichick has in the last 24 years. When I turned to the Dark Side I thought maybe, just maybe, if I was lucky I would see the New England Patriots win a Super Bowl in my lifetime. That they would win SIX was unthinkable.

We will not see the likes of him again. Not anytime soon.

BB tribute.jpeg

Congratulations to BB on 20+ years of success with the New England Patriots.

He coached one of the greatest Dynasties of all time and will also go down as one of the top head coaches of all time.

Thanks for the good times Bill. Now please kindly go to the NFC.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back