PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Calvin Ridley? No thanks. (EDIT: Signs With Titans)

It's dumbfounding, since Ridley quit on his team 2 out of the last 3 years. His head isn't right and the Titans are going to regret signing him. If he had three solid seasons in a row, then I can understand it. The "trust the plan" types will blast me, but for the Patriots to be in contention for him is shocking.
Its called complete desperation

There's 16 WRs in the NFL currently averaging 20m a year, that's the going rate for fringe #1 especially in FA.

Welcome to 2024.
A fringe #1 wouldn't have quit on his team 2 out of the last 3 years. Three solid years in a row, I get it. I guess these teams are convinced he has his head right now.

I bet he does well in that Titans offense, although it's a bit of a gamble with their QB and new staff, but he should be all-in for that amount of money, even if the odds are he can flop there
Ridley sold them up the river

This is just what we're going to be in for until the tide turns and people see an upward trajectory.

But I actually found this whole thing pretty encouraging, with Wolf clearly not afraid to get aggressive or get to the right market value, rather than try and go for lower-tiered players. It's a considerable change from the previous approach and, honestly, refreshing. I even feel had Wolf been in charge, the deal with Hopkins would have gotten done last year and Parker wouldn't have been extended. They'd certainly be in a better spot right now had that been the case, but I definitely like what I've seen from him so far.
I'm pretty optimistic but I'm not sure how you spun this to be a positive.

They didn't win the bidding war so I'm not sure how you can give them credit for being aggressive and I'm really not sure how that translates into them getting Hopkins and not re-signing Parker. If anything maybe it shows someone else might have been in charge of the Parker move.

Here's hypothetical equally as unverified as yours: After coming up short on Hopkins similar to Ridley last night someone did something dumb with Parker. With knew information at hand one has to wonder if the mistake was made Bill who typically doesn't like to spend on WRs or Groh/Wolf who just showed they'll go after a top WR and screw it up.

Reactions: Ian
I'm pretty optimistic but I'm not sure how you spun this to be a positive.

They didn't win the bidding war so I'm not sure how you can give them credit for being aggressive and I'm really not sure how that translates into them getting Hopkins and not re-signing Parker. If anything maybe it shows someone else might have been in charge of the Parker move.

Here's hypothetical equally as unverified as yours: After coming up short on Hopkins similar to Ridley last night someone did something dumb with Parker. With knew information at hand one has to wonder if the mistake was made Bill who typically doesn't like to spend on WRs or Groh/Wolf who just showed they'll go after a top WR and screw it up.
I just meant in terms of the contrast compared to their previous approach. My feeling was at least they offered what was an above market deal and were incredibly aggressive, which never happened previously. They were in play and lost out more due to the fact it felt like he didn't want to be here, and eventually, they hit their ceiling and waited for an answer, knowing all they were really doing was driving his market up. I don't think they could have offered him enough to change his mind, short of hitting a range where it would have been absurd. So I don't know how you can say they screwed it up ... I don't think there was any way they could win there.

With Hopkins, we found out after the fact it wasn't even close, which everyone in here went ballistic over and I was quietly even more frustrated when we found out they extended Parker because he was upset, which I was never a fan of his. And my only purpose in mentioning Hopkins was had they gotten it right last year, Hopkins would be on the roster and they'd be sitting with him, Bourne, and Douglas, which wouldn't be too terrible.

How’s that worked for the Packers?
Jayden Reed 2023 R2
Romeo Doubs 2022 R4
Dontayvion Wicks 2023 R5
Christian Watson 2022 R2
Tucker Kraft 2023 R3
Luke Musgrave 2023 R2

It looks like it's works pretty fekkin' well, actually.

Jayden Reed 2023 R2
Romeo Doubs 2022 R4
Dontayvion Wicks 2023 R5
Christian Watson 2022 R2
Tucker Kraft 2023 R3
Luke Musgrave 2023 R2

It looks like it's works pretty fekkin' well, actually.
I was speaking more to the fact of Super Bowl wins/apperances.

Just read an article posted on PF that the team with the most available cap $’s on Monday will now look to the draft to fin the WR “problem”. Sooo, if we select a QB in round 1, that means we need to choose between the best leftover OT or WR in round 2. Quite a choice - pick a WR to help the new QB with receptions at the the risk of getting him killed with one of our JAG left tackles. Looks like our WR fix is going to be a 3rd rounder - hope the WR is DEEP!!
If we stay at 3-34-68, I now think we'll prioritize WR and will go QB-WR-OT. Our OL is in better shape now than a week ago: we're good at RT with Onwenu, we just picked up insurance for Strange in Leverett, and have several candidates for LT in Oko, Anderson, and McDermott. Still need to invest a high pick for OT, but #68 or a small trade up to the end of r2 should get us a good prospect.

I do think we need to shake up the draft and manufacture another 2nd round pick by moving down from #3, and trade a 34 + 68 to move into the high 20's. So ending up with something like 11-22-42 as our first 3 picks.

I'd be very happy with Penix plus an extra 2nd this year plus an extra 1st & 2nd next year. Those extra picks would get us back to respectability a lot sooner than the perceived benefit of Maye over Penix.

Last edited:
I just meant in terms of the contrast compared to their previous approach. My feeling was at least they offered what was an above market deal and were incredibly aggressive, which never happened previously. They were in play and lost out more due to the fact it felt like he didn't want to be here, and eventually, they hit their ceiling and waited for an answer, knowing all they were really doing was driving his market up. I don't think they could have offered him enough to change his mind, short of hitting a range where it would have been absurd. So I don't know how you can say they screwed it up ... I don't think there was any way they could win there.

With Hopkins, we found out after the fact it wasn't even close, which everyone in here went ballistic over and I was quietly even more frustrated when we found out they extended Parker because he was upset, which I was never a fan of his. And my only purpose in mentioning Hopkins was had they gotten it right last year, Hopkins would be on the roster and they'd be sitting with him, Bourne, and Douglas, which wouldn't be too terrible.
I think your taking to much from reports. We didn't get Hopkins and we didn't get Ridley same result as previous approach the rest is speculation. We turned one mistake into 2 by giving money to Parker. Let's see how Wolf responds to missing on one of his moves.

I was speaking more to the fact of Super Bowl wins/apperances.
Well, wait. GB is going to be good for a while. That division should be very entertaining this year.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Bill ran the offense into the ground with his desire to coach "his" guys. It's going to take more than 3 days of free agency to fix it.

The draft is really the key. Build from the draft, get them into your system, fill in gaps with FAs.

Everyone is going to forget this week real fast of they take MHJ, Bo Nix, D'vonte Sweat and Christian Jones in the draft.

If we stay at 3-34-68, I now think we'll probably go QB-WR-OT:
- we're obviously looking for a stud at WR and I think there's a drop off once you're into the late 2nd/early 3rd round, so we need to pick one in the 30-35 range.
- our OL is in better shape now than it was a week ago: we're good at RT with Onwenu, we just picked up insurance for Strange in Leverett, and for LT we have several candidates in Oko, Anderson, and McDermott. Still need to invest a high pick in a guy, but 68 or a small trade up to the end of r2 should get us a good prospect.

I do think though that we need to shake up the draft and manufacture another 2nd round pick by moving down from #3, then trade a 2nd along with a 3rd or 4th to move into the 20's. So ending up with something like 9-22-40 as our first 3 picks. Attempt a small trade down from 3 to 4-5-6 and continue to shoot for a top-4 QB like McCarthy, or drop down to the 8-12 range in exchange for a big haul, and look to take Penix or possibly Nix.

I'd be very happy with Penix plus an extra 2nd this year and an extra 1st & 2nd next year. Those extra picks would get us back to respectability a lot sooner than the perceived benefit of Maye over Penix.
Well if Pennix is the guy then “Big Mike” will be earning his new found wealth protecting his blind side and keeping him upright! I think Pennix brings a LOT to the table in the passing game, just concerned about past (potential future) injuries. But, if we’re not gonna “burn some cash” we may as well “roll the dice”!

I think your taking to much from reports. We didn't get Hopkins and we didn't get Ridley same result as previous approach the rest is speculation. We turned one mistake into 2 by giving money to Parker. Let's see how Wolf responds to missing on one of his moves.
Sort of...but the gap was far larger with Hopkins, based on the numbers that came out after the fact. Unlike with Ridley, that one was supposedly not even close. And 100% agree with you on the Parker thing, just compounded the issue and left them having to try and untangle from it this offseason. They also still have to try and do the same thing with Smith-Schuster.

Sort of...but the gap was far larger with Hopkins, based on the numbers that came out after the fact. Unlike with Ridley, that one was supposedly not even close. And 100% agree with you on the Parker thing, just compounded the issue and left them having to try and untangle from it this offseason. They also still have to try and do the same thing with Smith-Schuster.
We might have to double down on Juju the same as Parker last year now that they aren't getting another WR.

We might have to double down on Juju the same as Parker last year now that they aren't getting another WR.
Kind of wondering if they'll shift gears and try the trade route since that's slightly more controllable, depending on where those teams end up in terms of the compensation they're seeking. Maybe that will be another option, provided the cost isn't ridiculous.

Kind of wondering if they'll shift gears and try the trade route since that's slightly more controllable, depending on where those teams end up in terms of the compensation they're seeking. Maybe that will be another option, provided the cost isn't ridiculous.
I hope you're right but supposedly we are going to turn to the draft now. And QB better be 3 so now your looking at a 2nd Rd WR at best. If we don't make a trade and all we do for WR is a 2nd or 3rd pick then Juju's knees suddenly become critical.

• Agree
Every year this fanbase hears about them kicking the tires on a WR, they sign somewhere else, the fan base celebrates avoiding an “overpay”, spends the next regular season freaking out about the passing game being inept.

Rinse and repeat. Strategy isn’t working
Would you have been willing to give him the second-highest guaranteed money for a WR in the entire league (behind only Tyreek Hill)?

Do people on here seriously think the MA "millionaire tax" is not a serious consideration to ANY free agent? Take Ridley. He signed a 4 year $92 million deal. Yes, I know hes not seeing all of that, etc, blah, blah blah...but for the sake of discussion (and this isn't considering federal taxes, which everyone pays....unless....well, nevermind), Ridley makes his $92,000,000. In Tennessee, he pockets $92,000,000 and in MA he pockets $83,720,000. Explain to me again, how the millionaire tax in the Commonwealth is not a consideration?

My gut tells me in the end, Pats will be glad they lost out on Ridley. Like the EBay bidding that goes crazy and the buyer wakes up to " what have I done" with Ridley's baggage, I don't think he is worth the $92 million..

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back