PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can We Win With An Entire New Coaching Staff?

They can win with a HC that actually knows what he’s doing as opposed to guys like Staley, McCoy, McDaniels, Patricia, Gase, Tomsula, and the list goes on. It’s tough to find a Shanahan, McDaniel and McVay.

But you also need a QB or an all star cast to even have a chance.

3 - 11

Because the Pats have no QB capable of competing in the NFL.

They don't have an offensive line or receivers either. They are devoid of talent on the offensive side of the ball.

The Steelers have just as bad or worse of a QB situation and they have a better record. Same with the Jets.

You can “win” with an entirely new staff. Many times a team gets a bump in the first year of a new HC, and they almost always bring in an entire new staff, but in most cases it’s a temporary bump up to 9-10 wins and then they drop back off.
The real question is how many coaches can you name that give you a better chance of winning than bill belichick.
Ultimately you realize the fire belichick crowd are people who are not thinking about the best course for the franchise but people who want someone to be punished for the down period that happens to every franchise. Making the coaching staff worse for those playing victim doesn’t make the franchise better.
He’s 72 next year. If he was 52 or 62 I think a lot of the “fire Belichick” crowd would be ok if he came back.

But after years of bad drafting I’m not ok with Bill overseeing the future of the franchise. His goals (win now, pass Shula) likely don’t mix with draft/develop another rookie QB, rebuild the team for the long term which is what we should be doing. He also doesn’t seem to have any vision on how to construct a modern NFL offence.

All good things come to an end. Time for Belichick to move on.

They don't have an offensive line or receivers either. They are devoid of talent on the offensive side of the ball.

The Steelers have just as bad or worse of a QB situation and they have a better record. Same with the Jets.
This team at this minute is a playoff team with Josh Allen.

Why? Because Allen can make every throw on the field and he makes average players around him better. Eventually Allen will win a Super Bowl. Sack Jones will never play in a Super Bowl.

After Diggs, there are no stars on the Bills. If NE acquired Dhop he would die from boredom because Jones can only check down.

I think that many folks want all the coaches, as if that is the road to success. I do agree that this would likely get us another top 10 draft choice.

Sure, hire an "offensive minded" HC and encourage BOB to take a college job. ???

Will any of the coaches stay? Mayo and Belichick will take with them any defensive coaches that they want. Perhaps someone will want to work for another new regime in Offense, presuming that the new regime wants them, or not.
==============================
Much as posters might want such chaos, I don't think that this what Kraft will choose. I suspect that he will hire a GM we all know and hire Mayo, offer Stevie the DC role. BOB could stay, or Josh could come back. A critical position will be QB coach; we might have 3 new QB's.

Kraft's attitude toward business is not what many posters would choose. Kraft wants stability. Kraft has promised a competitive team every year. Belichick failed big time this year, FOR THE FIRST TIME. Before this, the team could have been in the playoffs with a bit of luck. Kraft will continue to sell out the stadium, but thar does take a team that competes for the playoffs very year, NOT a team that competes for the SB for a year or two and then competes for the top pick in the draft for a couple of years.
100% agreed! My inclination is SB leaves to go elsewhere to continue to make his own name outside his father's. Someone like Demarcus covington could move to DC. Mayo of course would be the person putting his staff together.

I could also see your point on Josh coming back as OC. I'd also say when Bill leaves it would be up to BOB to.. if he got better offers to return to the NCAA.. I don't know what the length of his contract is.

Ultimately BB wasn't going to be here forever. My eye's were opened when Brady left. If he can leave so can Bill. The entire offense needs a reset.

This team at this minute is a playoff team with Josh Allen.

Why? Because Allen can make every throw on the field and he makes average players around him better. Eventually Allen will win a Super Bowl. Sack Jones will never play in a Super Bowl.

After Diggs, there are no stars on the Bills. If NE acquired Dhop he would die from boredom because Jones can only check down.

You don't actually watch Josh Allen do you? He doesn't make all the throws. He is mistake prone. Allen is second in the league in INTs. He was third in the league in INTs last year. The Bills are 8-6 and currently out of the playoffs with Diggs.

Last edited:
Absolutely not. A whole new staff is signing up for a minimum of 3 years of pain and potentially 10-15 depending on how often we want to repeat that cycle.

I would say if they draft a QB in the first, then bring in that kids OC with him. Bring the offense he ran in college with him.

Hire a GM, let him pick the coach, let the coach pick his assistants.

Bill CANNOT have GM duties.

A GM in a constant tug of war with Bill Belichick is not good for the team and will fail.

This isn't that complicated. Bill's coaching isn't justifying his poor GM'ing and there is no golden scenario where you successfully get a forward thinking GM that takes Bill's power away where it isn't a ****show if Bill is on the staff. We don't need a year or two of Bill undermining the GM and having a scapegoat so he can try to save his ass an extra year or get back his powers.

Let Bill go to one of the teams that is well built and would be happy to have him. Let us get a real GM that is capable for the first time in 10 years, let that GM have a coach who is tied with him on a vision.

You go all in. You don't play "I really like what happened here 7 years ago so I'm going to try to Frankenstein a team with the old guard and the new guard and hope they get along".

He’s 72 next year. If he was 52 or 62 I think a lot of the “fire Belichick” crowd would be ok if he came back.

But after years of bad drafting I’m not ok with Bill overseeing the future of the franchise. His goals (win now, pass Shula) likely don’t mix with draft/develop another rookie QB, rebuild the team for the long term which is what we should be doing. He also doesn’t seem to have any vision on how to construct a modern NFL offence.

All good things come to an end. Time for Belichick to move on.
His goals have always been long term success of the franchise.

Given the lateral moves frequently suggested at OC, HC, and GM over the last year, I’m just going to start mentally preparing for people to suggest stealing other teams’ position coaches despite them most likely being under contract. There’s going to be a lot of disappointment if the Patriots put together a staff full of guys that were just fired, but that’s often how it works.

"Why don't the Pats just trade for Mahomes?"

I'm not sure who would be a better lock to turn this team around quicker than BB...
But I'll also become incredibly depressed for 4 months if the Pats announce they're keeping BB.
Just because it feels so stale. It would seem destined for this team to just rinse and repeat the last 4 years.
I don't know who can trust BB to pick the franchise QB we need - or not draft a bunch of ST players in the 1st & 2nd round.

An all new staff and all new offensive and defensive schemes, and thus likely altered /worse fits for any retained personel, likely means next year the NEP again have a 2-15 or 3-14-type season.

The question is whether you can come out better not next year but 3-4 years down the road.

I'm not sure who would be a better lock to turn this team around quicker than BB...
But I'll also become incredibly depressed for 4 months if the Pats announce they're keeping BB.
Just because it feels so stale. It would seem destined for this team to just rinse and repeat the last 4 years.
I don't know who can trust BB to pick the franchise QB we need - or not draft a bunch of ST players in the 1st & 2nd round.
Thanks for this post, now I understand your knowledge and perception and can cut back by reading list

Last edited:
Hire a GM, let him pick the coach, let the coach pick his assistants.

Bill CANNOT have GM duties.

A GM in a constant tug of war with Bill Belichick is not good for the team and will fail.

This isn't that complicated. Bill's coaching isn't justifying his poor GM'ing and there is no golden scenario where you successfully get a forward thinking GM that takes Bill's power away where it isn't a ****show if Bill is on the staff. We don't need a year or two of Bill undermining the GM and having a scapegoat so he can try to save his ass an extra year or get back his powers.

Let Bill go to one of the teams that is well built and would be happy to have him. Let us get a real GM that is capable for the first time in 10 years, let that GM have a coach who is tied with him on a vision.

You go all in. You don't play "I really like what happened here 7 years ago so I'm going to try to Frankenstein a team with the old guard and the new guard and hope they get along".

I don't know how you can have Belichick as the coach and not the GM duties. If they promote Groh or Wolf or bring back someone else who was in the front office under Belichick and make them GM, they are just going to select players that Belichick wants. Belichick will still be in charge of personnel. The only thing that changes is that there is a Belichick puppet in the GM role.

And as you said, you bring in a new GM with no ties to Belichick who wants to modernize the team, he will be at odds with Belichick and Belichick might not even play this GM's selections. I can't take credit for this take, but I think Bedard said that imagine if the new GM drafter a 230LB linebacker with blazing speed in the first or second round. Would Belichick even play him? If he did, would he move him to safety?

I can't take credit for this take, but I think Bedard said that imagine if the new GM drafter a 230LB linebacker with blazing speed in the first or second round. Would Belichick even play him? If he did, would he move him to safety?
I was glad to see Mapu play LB on Sunday where he got his first INT. This is where he needs to stay.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back