PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Christian Barmore

I'd add in Dugger and make it a foursome to keep
I wonder about Dugger a little bit. He seemed completely disinterested last game. Did you or anyone notice that? Hopefully, just a bad game. I thought/still think he was a cornerstone.

You'll find many more examples of top players signing second contracts than not.

Extended: Seymour, Warren, Mayo, Brady, Light, Mankins, Koppen, Wilfork, Mayo, Vollmer, Edelman, McCourty, Gronk, Solder, Cannon, Hightower, Harmon, Ryan, James White, Shaq Mason, Bentley

Not extended: Branch, Thuney, Samuel, Chandler Jones, Jamie Collins, Trey Flowers

21 top Patriot players have signed 2nd contracts.
Only 6 haven't.

Of the 6, we really only messed up on 3 of them: Branch, Thuney and Chandler Jones (although that's debatable since this guy is so far out of his mind).
And assante Samuel, ty law. We re up ty we absolutely win again in 06.. we had a few season where the secondary was atrocious.

So bad we had to sign the likes of Phillip Adams and sterling Moore.

I wonder about Dugger a little bit. He seemed completely disinterested last game. Did you or anyone notice that? Hopefully, just a bad game. I thought/still think he was a cornerstone.
Wonder if he was distracted by whatever went down with JC?

I would keep Jennings over Dugger (we have Peppers and perhaps Mapu at SS). I would keep Onwenu only if it doesn't break the bank, as he would be solid with more talent around him on the O Line.
No matter happens after week 17 we need a LT.. someone that can anchor the line. We can't go into next season depending on Trent Brown.

And then Branch came back home later.
Yep. If anything, coming back vindicated the Patriots for not signing these players to big contracts. It simply meant their new teams overpaid them.

No matter happens after week 17 we need a LT.. someone that can anchor the line. We can't go into next season depending on Trent Brown.
Hold onto your hat, because they are NOT available in FA. And no team is going to trade a good one to us. I think it's urgent that they grab one in the early 2nd round.

They have no choice.

Of course that's going to mean that we'll be sticking a rookie out there to start the season.

Most teams try their top LTs at RT first (like Tristan Wirfs).

I would draft an LT & sign Trent Brown.

But he was not the same. A lot came back, Jamie Collins, Trey Flowers etc. If anything, coming back vindicated the Patriots for not signing these players to big contracts. It simply meant their new teams overpaid them.
I remember hearing Curran saying Collins and butler turned down nice contract offers before they hit FA.. butler took less money to sign with Titans. Collins did pretty well stealing 50 million from Cleveland. I'm all for the players to get thier money. Tray flowers never saw a snap the second time around. Chung was a better player when he returned. Branch remember had that terrible knee injury in Seattle.

Hold onto your hat, because they are NOT available in FA. And no team is going to trade a good one to us. I think it's urgent that they grab one in the early 2nd round.

They have no choice.

Of course that's going to mean that we'll be sticking a rookie out there to start the season.

Most teams try their top LTs at RT first (like Tristan Wirfs).

I would draft an LT & sign Trent Brown.
Agreed, this draft is vital we get one. I don't know what Jake Andrews projects to be for us, But he's on the roster behind Dave Andrews at center. So I think Trent is under contract next season? Is he.?

Yep. If anything, coming back vindicated the Patriots for not signing these players to big contracts. It simply meant their new teams overpaid them.
It’s always seemed to me that a lot of the players who follow the money instead of resigning here end up underperforming their new lucrative contracts.
I remember hearing Curran saying Collins and butler turned down nice contract offers before they hit FA.. butler took less money to sign with Titans. Collins did pretty well stealing 50 million from Cleveland. I'm all for the players to get thier money. Tray flowers never saw a snap the second time around. Chung was a better player when he returned. Branch remember had that terrible knee injury in Seattle.
Something went down with Butler at the end of his time here. Not surprised he took less money to go to the Titans. On the flip side he bought a unique Super Bowl seat with the difference.

Not universal but I think a lot, perhaps most of the players who went elsewhere then returned to the Pats had grown and improved when they got back here.

Agreed, this draft is vital we get one. I don't know what Jake Andrews projects to be for us, But he's on the roster behind Dave Andrews at center. So I think Trent is under contract next season? Is he.?
No he's a FA

And assante Samuel, ty law. We re up ty we absolutely win again in 06.. we had a few season where the secondary was atrocious.

So bad we had to sign the likes of Phillip Adams and sterling Moore.
Ty Law did sign a new contract here under Belichick. Remember, he spent 10 years as a Patriot. I wasn't counting guys that were 32 and left.

Ty Law did sign a new contract here under Belichick. Remember, he spent 10 years as a Patriot. I wasn't counting guys that were 32 and left.
Ty law was on top of his game at 30 not 32.. he only led the league in INTS when he left, lucky we had a dominant front 7 so Ellis Hobbs would not have to keep getting burned every play. Ty said he was in tense contract negotiations in 05.. the same year Wille was too.. remember him?

Ty law was on top of his game at 30 not 32.. he only led the league in INTS when he left, lucky we had a dominant front 7 so Ellis Hobbs would not have to keep getting burned every play. Ty said he was in tense contract negotiations in 05.. the same year Wille was too.. remember him?
The guy who bashed another guy's face in with a wine bottle (allegedly)?

Never heard of him.

He's not a FS. We need him up at the line playing big nickel or strong safety. He made a ton of big plays last year when we still had McCourty.

He's not a FS. We need him up at the line playing big nickel or strong safety. He made a ton of big plays last year when we still had McCourty.
You said it. " not a FS".. we also need to address this in FA. A natural FS.

Interesting thing about Barmore is that half the fans here didn't want him when he was picked.

There were fans who wanted a WR instead, and they named the WR we should've taken. He busted. As did the next 3 WRs after him.

Finally, a complaint was made that we traded two 4th round picks for a guy who would've been there at our pick of 46. But the only 4th round player available who even became decent was Da Moore the G from Pittsburgh. Everyone else is either a bust, a backup or meh.

I like reading some of those threads of players who hit for us just as a counterpoint to the constant, "We should've taken him instead..." when we miss

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
Back