PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Complaining about refs is getting old

Status
Not open for further replies.

apricissimus

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
The a sizable portion of the fans of every single team in the league are totally convinced that the refs have it out for their team. Many actually seem convinced that there's an actually conspiracy among the officials to help one team, or hurt another. It's ridiculous, and I'm tired of hearing it. You even hear it coming from players more and more lately.

Just think about it for a minute. Of course refs get calls wrong sometimes. Fans remember the ones that go against their team, and forget the ones that go in their favor. And not only do they remember the calls against their team, they tend to amplify in their minds the significance and severity of those calls.

There's no conspiracy. There's no agenda. The refs do the best they can... If you think certain officials are incompetent, well, that's matter than can be debated, but no one's actively trying to help or hurt one team or another.

When people get red in the face about how the refs stole the game, or gave it to the other team, they just look silly. And these arguments back and forth between fans of two teams who feel slighted by the refs... they're pointless and do nothing to foster productive conversation.

Okay... now feel free to unload on me about how the league and the on field officials obviously have an agenda against team X, Y, or Z. ;)

But...but...but...they HATE us!

I can decode their secret messages each time I take off my tin foil hat.

The fans don't know this but the players and coaches do. That's why they are focused on situational plays. BB doesn't care what the situation is; he just wants them to deal with it.

The only team that consistently gets all the calls is the Colts. That is the Polian factor.

If you can prove otherwise, than do so.

All the other teams in the league are at the mercy of ****ty part time confused officiating every week, which is not a conspiracy so much as incompetence. There are a lot of reasons, starting with the part time thing and also the insanely vague and hard to follow rules on things like pass interference and fumbles and just about every other split second decision that needs to be made out there. Further, there is a rogue committee run by Polian that has far too much influence over the refs in the offseason, confusing them further. And the NFL is more concerned with protecting the refs and covering up their mistakes than actually getting the calls correct. The lack of goal line cameras and other modern technology is absurd. All plays should be reviewed in real time up in the booth. Why the hell doesn't the NFL just get this stuff right?

The only team that consistently gets all the calls is the Colts.

I can't believe you posted this in a thread titled "Complaining about refs is getting old." Ah, the irony...

Last edited:
I can't believe you posted this in a thread titled "Complaining about refs is getting old." Ah, the irony...

Patsfans.com comes up with some unintentional gems from time to time.

if you're sick of hearing it then why read a message baord?

Well, we'll just have to see what tune you're singing come Sunday night...

The only team that consistently gets all the calls is the Colts. That is the Polian factor.

I agree. Everey other game is hit or miss but the every time I see the Colts, the refs are trying to hand it to them. Its not just us, Take a look at the Steelers Colts in the AFC Campionship game. The Steelers won but the refs did everything they could to give it to the Colts

You realize you're going into Polian's dome of hell Sunday, right? Please do come back after the game and let us know that you did not see 1 bad call. We'll be waiting.

Oh, that's fair: You prove no positive, and require him to prove the negative of the non-existent positive.

We see where this belly-aching is headed.

I agree. Everey other game is hit or miss but the every time I see the Colts, the refs are trying to hand it to them. Its not just us, Take a look at the Steelers Colts in the AFC Campionship game. The Steelers won but the refs did everything they could to give it to the Colts

I'm sure the calls never go against the Colts.

Come on, Pain, let's do the big conspiracy theory on the NFL officials and Bill Polian. That leads to nothing but "did you see such and such a game?" and other annecdotal argument that goes nowhere forever. It's a highway to nowhere forever.

All the other teams in the league are at the mercy of ****ty part time confused officiating every week, which is not a conspiracy so much as incompetence. There are a lot of reasons, starting with the part time thing and also the insanely vague and hard to follow rules on things like pass interference and fumbles and just about every other split second decision that needs to be made out there. Further, there is a rogue committee run by Polian that has far too much influence over the refs in the offseason, confusing them further. And the NFL is more concerned with protecting the refs and covering up their mistakes than actually getting the calls correct. The lack of goal line cameras and other modern technology is absurd. All plays should be reviewed in real time up in the booth. Why the hell doesn't the NFL just get this stuff right?

Eggs-actly, Batman.

In fact, not only should every play be subject to review, but also a team should not be limited in the # of challenges it uses, as long as it keeps winning those challenges.

You realize you're going into Polian's dome of hell Sunday, right? Please do come back after the game and let us know that you did not see 1 bad call. We'll be waiting.

Of course there will be a bad call or two or three. That doesn't mean that the refs are biased in favor of the Colts.

It sounds like you're going into Sunday's game expecting the refs to be biased in favor of the Colts. This is exactly the kind of thinking that will lead you to think there's a real bias there, whether there actually is one or not. It's like when you believe beforehand that a psychic has supernatural powers, then you're already 95% of the way towards thinking that the reading he gives you is accurate.

TGirl, come on. Please. We are the team that benifitted from the Tuck Rule, the rest of the fans out there are convinced we're cheaters who have Goodell on our payroll, and we're the team that did maul the Colts receivers in the 2003 AFCCG (we did maul them, and we did get away with the mauling and the officials did see it) and we're supposed to believe that Pollian has the officials on his payroll?

Can we just say that subjective viewpoints can make something out of nothing? The officials screw up, or they interpret things according to the book, and that's that. It all evens out over the years, but it's not working for me to hear the fans of a 16-0 team accused of cheating to whine about the officials. We have to realize that every fan in the NFL has something to whine about and it's turning into a whine-fest.

Let's just drop this officials thing and the Colts/Pollian thing unless somebody comes up with some proof of something. That proof, btw, will destroy the NFL.

well than it's a really amazing coincidence that the Colts always get the calls in their favor in big games, and the teams playing the Colts always get B.S. calls AGAINST THEM. Maybe after 10 years everyone will finally start to notice it. Then it will still probably be just a coincidence though right?

It isn't that teams are getting called for holding and stuff more, but you honestly see refs make up calls and enforce rules that aren't enforced anymore to benefit the Colts. That is the scary thing. The refs make **** up. That's how you know it is all bull****. All they had to do was call more holding, but they are too ******* stupid so they call "faceguarding" when it is no longer a penalty and somehow try to make a Polamalu interception look like an incomplete pass.

If you ask me, not complaining about the refs is getting old.

Last edited:
1) We are the team that benifitted from the Tuck Rule

2) the rest of the fans out there are convinced we're cheaters who have Goodell on our payroll

3) we're the team that did maul the Colts receivers in the 2003 AFCCG (we did maul them, and we did get away with the mauling and the officials did see it)

4) and we're supposed to believe that Pollian has the officials on his payroll?

5) Let's just drop this officials thing and the Colts/Pollian thing unless somebody comes up with some proof of something. That proof, btw, will destroy the NFL.

1) We are one of the teams who have benefitted, just as other teams benefit from other rules whenever those rules are properly applied.

2) You mean the same Goodell who took away our 1st-round draft pick, a heretofore unprecedented punishment?

3) I have that game on tape; the holding by the Pats' defense is matched by the holding by the dolts' OL, a practice from which they "benefit" to this day.

4) There's not much difference between having someone on your payroll, and intimidating someone enough so that he makes calls that "benefit" you.

5) Let's just not read this thread, if you so choose. Others choose to point out obvious, consistent flaws in officiating. Message boards are funny like that.

When you have coaches and front office people on the rules committee, what do you expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents