PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eliot Wolf's Pre-Draft Press Conference (Scheduled for 4/18 - 10AM)

Our QB whisperers are going to earn their money.

I hope McAdoo feels as strongly about the one who is there at #3, as he reportedly did about Mahomes.
He rated Josh Rosen over some bonafide starting QBs as well.

Could be an example of a blind squirrel finding a nut.

Is a 2nd round pick enough compensation to take the chance of being jumped by another team for McCarthy?

I’ll do it for the Giants’ 2025 #1.

OK, I see you mentioned two #2s from the Giants.

There is no way JJ slides to #11.
Don't be so sure.

Johnny Manziel was supposed to be a top 3 pick and went #22.

Aaron Rodgers was talked about maybe being the #1 overall pick but he fell to #24.

If they feel that strongly about one of the second tier guys, should they really going to risk losing out on them to pick up extra picks?

I know there’s gamesmanship with playing the board but the QB need is too dire, too important, to play games with it.

this is a new regime and they’re in their honeymoon period but it’ll change QUICK if they play around and miss out on a QB while being stuck in QB purgatory.
It could be more the case that they're neutral among say 3 different guys - would be happy with any of the 3. Which is usually the reason behind any trade-down. If there's a guy available at your pick who's the best on your board, and in your area of need, you pick him. If there's several that meet the need, trade down and grab one of them later.

Don't be so sure.

Johnny Manziel was supposed to be a top 3 pick and went #22.

Aaron Rodgers was talked about maybe being the #1 overall pick but he fell to #24.
It’s a much more QB focused NFL now.

Wolf said that they have been exploring trades at WR. I don't know if this guy is legit. Normally, I would dismiss a Tweet like this as garbage. But since Taylor Kyles responded to him, I will post it and let everyone to decide for themselves.

I have it as
Floor
Williams
Daniel’s
Maye
McCarthy
Nix
Rattler
Pennix

Ceiling

Willam’s
Maye
Daniel’s
Mccarthy
Rattler
Nix
Pennix
So the guy who is consensus the best thrower in the class has the lowest floor and the lowest ceiling? Well okay, then.

Yeah, that's my thinking, too. Don't risk it. Take the guy you like at 3 and be accused of reaching. If he pans out, no one will care in a year or two how early he was picked.
I guess that depends tho. You can trade back for Penix/Nix/Rattler. If it's JJM but the "experts" say draft back to 5-6, then you run the risk of losing out by having someone move up to get him. If it's Maye/Daniels/McCarthy, then just take 'em at 3. If it's the other three, drop and take the bag.

If
Wolf said that they have been exploring trades at WR. I don't know if this guy is legit. Normally, I would dismiss a Tweet like this as garbage. But since Taylor Kyles responded to him, I will post it and let everyone to decide for themselves.

This account got a lot of free agency stuff right early. (Titans getting Ridley, Burns trade, Hollywood to KC, etc). So it’s not nothing, but I wouldn’t get too excited about it just yet.

Does the thought of drafting Daniels scare you? I really think Washington is going to take Maye.
I think all this posturing is BS by the league designed to do what we are all doing: talking about it, while consuming media pre-draft. No one talks about the MLB draft like this. A week ago, Daniels was a lock to go to Washington. Now Tom Curran is talking about the Pats and JJM. It's all a bunch of crap. We will find out next week what they are doing.

Let’s say they trade back and pass up Maye/Daniels and they end up becoming perennial Pro Bowlers. They trade back and end up with Penix plus picks. Penix ends up being a solid, Andy Dalton tier QB, and they do a good job hitting on the extra picks they acquired.

Would that be considered a successful trade?

To me it wouldn’t, I don’t care if you were able to pick up a couple of extra starters if you pass up the chance draft a franchise QB for a middling Andy Dalton type.

Man they better get this right. No pressure :)

If they rate the six QBs (or the 5 who might be there) closely, then trading down is absolutely an option.

If they had the #1 pick, take Williams (unless they hate his attitude).

He rated Josh Rosen over some bonafide starting QBs as well.

Could be an example of a blind squirrel finding a nut.
It's an opinion from film study.

Yeah, that's my thinking, too. Don't risk it. Take the guy you like at 3 and be accused of reaching. If he pans out, no one will care in a year or two how early he was picked.
Wolf did that in Cleveland with Baker Mayfield.

Kyles seems to vouch for him here. I am not sure what Aiyuk's trade value is since he needs a new top-of-market contract too. If I could get SF to take 68 this year and a 2nd next year that would be great. Then they could still take their QB of choice at 3 and tackle of choice at 34. Trade down still possible for the capital but getting a true #1 WR makes that make a little less sense. May as well get your QB.

Last edited:
More Twitter fodder that probably mean absolutely nothing.

But I have believed that AJ Brown may be traded this offseason. He seems to want out of Philly.

More Twitter fodder that probably mean absolutely nothing.

But I have believed that AJ Brown may be traded this offseason. He seems to want out of Philly.

Following KJ and Brissett is somewhat notable, but is most likely just nothing.

Changing his profile picture to Tom Brady, specifically in his Pats gear, is...... very peculiar.

Kyles seems to vouch for him here. I am not sure what Aiyuk's trade value is since he needs a new top-of-market contract too. If I could get SF to take 68 this year and a 2nd next year that would be great. Then they could still take their QB of choice at 3 and tackle of choice at 34. Trade down still possible for the capital but getting a true #1 WR makes that make a little less sense. May as well get your QB.

The same account/guy says "I'll guarantee that Jayden Daniels will be a Commander." Also says Pats are drafting JJ or Maye.

So get Maye at 3, trade for Aiyuk. Think that takes our 2nd round pick to get done with all the teams interested. That leaves a developmental tackle in round 3 and/or take one in 2025 draft if available?

A 2nd next year is equal to a 3 this year and hard to see two 3's beating out the Giants, Washington and others. Washington has two 2's and three 3's so without #34 you are not topping their offer.

Last edited:
They could really do some damage with that scenario.

Did you read what Polian said? We get about 45% of what data is available. We are almost guaranteed that one of the top three, if not more, will bust. Penix or Nix could be "the guy", just because the draftnik guys aren't saying so, doesn't mean it's cast in stone.
I agree with the bust rate, because to do so would refute the facts. Every draft is a crap shoot. Penix and Nix could be 'The Guy", but I'll believe it when I see it (as will we all).

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back