PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hernandez family suing Patriots because Hernandez had CTE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the Hernandez lawyer is lying about the CTE. That would be pretty bold by him and the doctor who said it was present.

It is pretty scary if CTE definitely led to Hernandez' behavior. It almost sounds like the effects of smoking impacting different people differently. We may both start smoking at the same time, but I get diagnosed with cancer within 5 years while you smoke for 40 years without any significant health issues. With CTE, Aaron Hernandez becomes a murderer within 3 years while Steve Young isn't similarly affected.

The problem is that there is no way to say, definitively, that CTE led to Hernandez's behavior. None at all. The lawyer is talking out his rear end.. They should be going after the football helmet manufacturers of the helmets that Hernandez wore..

Furthermore, how can the Patriots be held accountable for a condition that could have developed anytime in the 10+ years prior to Hernandez being their employee. What the lawyer doesn't have going for him is the baseline EEGs that players are forced to take each season. It's these EEGs that will be part of the Pats defense.

His lawyers saying they can prove timeline of CTE. If this guy got CTE with the pats in 3 years than everybody must have it. Let's remembered he was a second option to gronk.

The real interesting thing here, buried in the dismissal of the case by many, is that the obvious and strong defense everybody thinks the NFL will make (there's no way to say the NFL is culpable for Hernandez's CTE) relies very obviously on an assertion the NFL has been actively fighting for years (that tackle football at any level causes CTE).

The question becomes if they'll be willing to go on record saying "well maybe it was high school or college" because that opens a huge can of worms in future proceedings since it will be in the record that the NFL knows and understands that their sport causes CTE. If they won't, it'll be hard to mount a defense. This is why it was worth a shot from the Hernandez estate's perspective. Legally, the NFL is caught between a rock and a hard place, which isn't too surprising - they were always going to find themselves there eventually.

Regardless of the merits of the suit, to me the real issue is CTE's destructive effects on a player's life. Extreme anger, deep depression, anxiety, and suicide are very much part of the picture. In other words, esp in the more advanced cases (and this was the most advanced ever measured) the player is going through a kind of unimaginable hell in terms of physical and psychological pain. Thus the growing list of ex-NFL players with CTE who have taken their own lives.

Regardless of the merits of the suit, to me the real issue is CTE's destructive effects on a player's life. Extreme anger, deep depression, anxiety, and suicide are very much part of the picture. In other words, esp in the more advanced cases (and this was the most advanced ever measured) the player is going through a kind of unimaginable hell in terms of physical and psychological pain. Thus the growing list of ex-NFL players with CTE who have taken their own lives.

So you think he took his life because of CTE? Hmm

If it wasn't the 100% reason, I'm still convinced it was the dominant and most critical reason. But I'm not arguing here on behalf of the case so much as on behalf of the players with CTE.

I find it hard to believe he didn't have any brain related injuries before he got to the pats. His behavior was always erratic going back to Florida or who knows before that.

speaking of lawsuits

what happened to all the people who were sure that brady was gonna sue for defamation of character?

why did he back down from that?

I was exaggerating but only a little. Life expectancy in the western industrialized world was in the high 30s to low 40s as recently as the middle of the 19th century (let alone in the developing world), with heavy fluctuations for years of war and famine. Most of that rise and stabilization is attributable to that there meddling government (particularly sewer systems, but also agricultural subsidies, public health initiatives, regulation and dispersion of medicine, etc.).

increase-in-LE-NIH.png
My apologies...I should have added a :p

I just happen to know the life expectancy of people (dont ask why) in the Bronze Age was their 30s.

Your post was funny. :)

The problem is that there is no way to say, definitively, that CTE led to Hernandez's behavior. None at all. The lawyer is talking out his rear end.. They should be going after the football helmet manufacturers of the helmets that Hernandez wore..

Furthermore, how can the Patriots be held accountable for a condition that could have developed anytime in the 10+ years prior to Hernandez being their employee. What the lawyer doesn't have going for him is the baseline EEGs that players are forced to take each season. It's these EEGs that will be part of the Pats defense.

I'm wondering if the threat of discovery is behind the motivation.

Patriots' emails and medical staff records discussing AH and concussions and playing etc.

NFL emails and records etc..

Anyways could get interesting

Football used to be very violent back in the day then now. It's hard to believe he picked this up in 3 years with the pats. Something to me just doesn't add up here. You have guys like Cris Carter getting teary about it but he doesn't show the violent behavior that Hernandez showed.

Football used to be very violent back in the day then now. It's hard to believe he picked this up in 3 years with the pats. Something to me just doesn't add up here. You have guys like Cris Carter getting teary about it but he doesn't show the violent behavior that Hernandez showed.

Do you think the Patriots or anybody they sued has records of AH's concussion history? Do you think there's any emails discussing his concussion history or playing time etc....???

I think that's part of his reasoning for suing the Patriots et al. He's fishing for something imo or hoping that if he hits the right nerve they'll just settle or something.

Do you think the Patriots or anybody they sued has records of AH's concussion history? Do you think there's any emails discussing his concussion history or playing time etc....???

I think that's part of his reasoning for suing the Patriots et al. He's fishing for something imo or hoping that if he hits the right nerve they'll just settle or something.

Well didn't they say he had 1 concussion unless they said the pats where negligent and he had other concussions and they played him on the field regardless.The guy played 38 games in his career with the pats.

Well didn't they say he had 1 concussion unless they said the pats where negligent and he had other concussions and they played him on the field regardless.The guy played 38 games in his career with the pats.

It wouldn't be specifically about having a singular concussion imo, rather their actions (representative of the NFL's at the time) towards playing with a concussion.

Anyways the NFL's position of playing with a concussion at the time horribly contradicted those in the medical profession.

I hope that makes sense because I think that's the angle he's hoping will work.

The NFL set the standard for all other football playing entities. Pop Warner, High School and College. They are the ones who presented their own medical expertise on the issue which they have now had to back off of after sitting in front of a congressional hearing.

IOW, AH's attorney, a known slime ball, smells something fishy and as hoping to strike gold. He had to sue the Pats et al, to find what he was looking for. You cannot just ask the Patriots to see all their records.

I'm wondering if the threat of discovery is behind the motivation.

Patriots' emails and medical staff records discussing AH and concussions and playing etc.

NFL emails and records etc..

Anyways could get interesting
My theory is exactly what you wrote about. Just a theory, but I bet if you gave the lawyer truth serum he would admit he has an unwinnable case. He is hoping the NFL pays him to go away, or else he is going to request anything and everything the league has on this issue going back decades.

speaking of lawsuits

what happened to all the people who were sure that brady was gonna sue for defamation of character?

why did he back down from that?
Anyone who truly felt that a defamation of character suit was a realistic option for Tom Brady simply doesn't understand how that process works, particularly for celebrities.

Next time you're at the grocery store, take a look at some of the headlines claiming that so and so cheated on their spouse, or is a drug addict, etc, and then try to figure out why they don't go after such publications. They're terribly difficult to win.

Good! Down with the NYJFL*! Nothing would be more satisfying! I want them to implode!

I don't know man. My only interest is in seeing the NYJFL* implode.

Oh you think the 32 owners are better than the Hernandez family? I'm not gonna tell you to get the f*ck outta here. I'm gonna challenge you to do proper research on how corrupt and immoral the 32 owners are. Hernandez family morals > 32 corrupt owners morals

Millions and millions of men have played football over the years. Shouldn't we be seeing millions and millions of spontaneous murderers develop if CTE is the culprit? Hernandez was a bad seed.

Millions and millions of men have played football over the years. Shouldn't we be seeing millions and millions of spontaneous murderers develop if CTE is the culprit? Hernandez was a bad seed.

It's not millions and millions rather thousands and thousands.

The total amount of people to ever have played professional football, ever, is probably less than 50,000 and is probably closer to 25,000.

We are at just the beginning stages of CTE discovery. Since CTE has become an issue (over the last 15 years) we have seen 110 tested brains out of 111 test positive for CTE. Which means we will probably never know anything about the brains of the players who played in the 60's or earlier.

Anyways I'm pretty sure that CTE is a serious issue and not just for the NFL. Any sport or activity that causes the brain to "jolt" will have issues with CTE. Just my opinion.

It's not millions and millions rather thousands and thousands.

The total amount of people to ever have played professional football, ever, is probably less than 50,000 and is probably closer to 25,000.

We are at just the beginning stages of CTE discovery. Since CTE has become an issue (over the last 15 years) we have seen 110 tested brains out of 111 test positive for CTE. Which means we will probably never know anything about the brains of the players who played in the 60's or earlier.

Anyways I'm pretty sure that CTE is a serious issue and not just for the NFL. Any sport or activity that causes the brain to "jolt" will have issues with CTE. Just my opinion.

Your opinion is fact.

CTE has been found in deceased high school and collegiate athletes who have played football.

It's also been found in hockey and soccer players as well as boxers.

Directly correlating CTE to violent crimes is impossible to prove

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back