PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hurricane Lee

They already average like 20' tides. I can only imagine. I own land up there in Lubec.
The tidal range in the Bay of Fundy is about 16 metres (52 ft); the average tidal range worldwide is only one metre (3.3 ft)
Because of tidal resonance in the funnel-shaped bay, the tides that flow through the channel are very powerful. In one 12-hour tidal cycle, about 100 billion tons (110 billion short tons) of water flows in and out of the bay, which is twice as much as the combined total flow of all the rivers of the world over the same period.[

I live in northern New England. I lived off grid for ten years, had a sheep farm. We were on a hilltop where the wind just whistled through, and most years the sheep fencing, which was maybe 4'8" high, got buried completely under the snow. We used to say spring was on its way when the top of the picnic table reappeared in late winter.The house, a log cabin was built by hippies, badly built and caulked, plastic sheeting over two window openings when I bought it, doors so ill-fitted that a little snowdrift built up inside the front door some nights. It took 9 or 10 cords to heat it the first winter. I was younger and stronger then, so it was kind of a big adventure. Eventually my wife put her foot down and we moved into town, to a house with a few acres of pasture, so that we could bring most of the animals with us. Now we are in a legit house (I gave up working in the woods and got work in education) with a couple of sheep, 25 chickens, six dogs, and three cats; and it only takes 3-4 cords plus oil to heat the house. So when I think back to the firewood I used to have to work up (plus stowing away hundreds of bales of hay), 3 or 4 cords, which I only have to split and stack in the woodshed, doesn't seem that bad. Once a year, the hay guy delivers 60 bales of second cut. He even helps we old fogies to stack it in the hay building (for- ouch- seven or eight bucks a bale). For firewood, we get mostly maple (hard and soft), ash, red oak, birches (yellow has the most heat), and beech.
Pretty cool.

After awhile you become acclimated to the cold weather. They predict a bad winter, but we will see.

I find that oak and softer woods rot if you don't burn them relatively soon.

I spent 6 hours vacuuming water out of my basement the other night... can we not do this again? My back is just starting to feel better.

Wonderful flights of fancy guys, but the bottom line is the weather for this Sunday is mostly sunny with the wind UNDER 10MPH. So in the words of that great sage, Roaeann Rosannadana, "NEVERMIIND".

As of Thu night...1694737395611.png

More rain. Great. I usually buy my firewood a year ahead. I still have gotten this year's (for next year). Nobody can get into the woods: early spring all summer long out there..
Same here, lucky I found a guy with tons of seasoned firewood though I'm going to have to pay.

Same here, lucky I found a guy with tons of seasoned firewood though I'm going to have to pay.
I worked at a large forestry operation for a few years, so I would get a break on a load of logs, and they would load longer, straighter logs for me, and leave a few long pieces stick out the back further than the law allows. I could get about ten chords of logs delivered for $250, which is what some vendors now get for a single cut and split cord. Not to blame the loggers though: I brought one of my dogs to the vet the other day to get some dental work: $1200. It's up, up, up across the board. The dog now has a lovely smile, so there's that. That's him over there to the left. He's getting to be damn near priceless.

I worked at a large forestry operation for a few years, so I would get a break on a load of logs, and they would load longer, straighter logs for me, and leave a few long pieces stick out the back further than the law allows. I could get about ten chords of logs delivered for $250, which is what some vendors now get for a single cut and split cord. Not to blame the loggers though: I brought one of my dogs to the vet the other day to get some dental work: $1200. It's up, up, up across the board. The dog now has a lovely smile, so there's that. That's him over there to the left. He's getting to be damn near priceless.
Did you use Husqvarna saws? They are popular in the NE area.

Everything is expensive to the point that some people are to the breaking point.

Did you use Husqvarna saws? They are popular in the NE area.

Everything is expensive to the point that some people are to the breaking point.
We used Stihls. We had one saw with a 36" bar which we rarely used, except for really big stuff and flushing stumps to make a skid path when there was no dozer. That was a big Husqvarna: it sounded like a dirt bike, and when you would blip it, it would sort try to fly up into the air. Some guys used Jonsereds. I think Husqvarna bought them out and the brand is defunct. I have also done some winter roadside tree work out of a bucket truck. This was before the hydraulic stuff became available. We used a Stihl 024 for that - pretty light but fast. I still think that's the best saw ever made - little screamers - and I still run one today. If you've never trimmed roadside trees on the side of a busy road in the winter, you don't know what cold is. The wind shoots up off the windshields, making for this weird random windstorm. It was two guys to a truck (with a chipper, often fed by work release inmates - quite a show). You would work until you were half frozen, then sit and thaw in the cab while the other guy got his *** frozen. I miss not so much the work as being young and fit enough to be able to do it. So it goes!

Last edited:
We used Stihls. We had one saw with a 36" bar which we rarely used, except for really big stuff and flushing stumps to make a skid path when there was no dozer. That was a big Husqvarna: it sounded like a dirt bike, and when you would blip it, it would sort try to fly up into the air. Some guys used Jonsereds. I think Husqvarna bought them out and the brand is defunct. I have also done some winter roadside tree work out of a bucket truck. This was before the hydraulic stuff became available. We used a Stihl 024 for that - pretty light but fast. I still think that's the best saw ever made - little screamers - and I still run one today. If you've never trimmed roadside trees on the side of a busy road in the winter, you don't know what cold is. The wind shoots up off the windshields, making for this weird random windstorm. It was two guys to a truck (with a chipper, often fed by work release inmates - quite a show). You would work until you were half frozen, then sit and thaw in the cab while the other guy got his *** frozen. I miss not so much the work as being young and fit enough to be able to do it. So it goes!

I have never used a Stihl, but hear good things about them. German tools are usually well build and they last. Jonsereds are great saws and I see them on Facebook for cheap money.

I have 5 Husqvarna's all made in Sweden.

Model 61 (some say its the best saw that Husqvarna ever made)
Model Rancher
Model 50 (I basically paid $13 for it off Facebook. The guy could not get it to start)
Model 575 (off Facebook. 5.4 horsepower will cut through anything)
Model 555 (borderline professional saw)

I have never used a Stihl, but hear good things about them. German tools are usually well build and they last. Jonsereds are great saws and I see them on Facebook for cheap money.

I have 5 Husqvarna's all made in Sweden.

Model 61 (some say its the best saw that Husqvarna ever made)
Model Rancher
Model 50 (I basically paid $13 for it off Facebook. The guy could not get it to start)
Model 575 (off Facebook. 5.4 horsepower will cut through anything)
Model 555 (borderline professional saw)
I think I've read that Stihl invented the chainsaw, but who knows. My main connection with Husqvarna has to do with a hobby of mine: restoring old sewing machines. I buy old sewing machines - from the 19th century through the 1960 or so - restore then resell (some of) them. The only machines as well built as the older Husqvarnas are the older ""black Iron" Singers. Both are so beautifully designed and built, and incorporate so many adjustments for wear that it is actually rare to need any parts to repair/restore them. My wife's two favorite machines are two Husqvarnas, one from '58, the other from the 30's. Both work impeccably. The only issue with the newer ones is that they began to use plastic - Delrin, I think - for some of the precision parts. The plastic shrinks ever so little after a few decades. All you need do though is put a little brass shim stock here and there to restore the dimensions, and they're good for another 50 years or so. It's a pleasure to work on nice machinery. I remember the first time I worked on a Honda motorcyle. It was just beautiful under those case covers: looked like a watch: designed to work, and designed to be worked on. Here's another sort of machine I like working on, A Canadian Hyacinthe wheel, around 1900. My wife uses it all the time: works great. The sewing machine on. the left is 19th c.. The one on the right is a Singer Model 66, 1921. All three work perfectly, even when the power goes out.

1694905114620.png

I gave up working in the woods and got work in education
Sounds as though you went from lonely work to unhappy work. I have a second career after 20 years in education. It just kept getting worse-both the lazy, cheating students and the ungrateful, antagonistic parents. I taught predominantly in private schools.

I now work in the woods. Alone. And am the happier, and wealthier, for it.

The breaking point was parents much more concerned about their brats’ college options than their character.

“You can’t fail my fillintheblank for copying and pasting a Wikipedia page for his book report.”

“Well, that’s cheating. They were warned over and over not to do that. And apprised of the consequences.”

“Yes, well. Can you give him another chance with a makeup assignment?”

Sounds as though you went from lonely work to unhappy work. I have a second career after 20 years in education. It just kept getting worse-both the lazy, cheating students and the ungrateful, antagonistic parents. I taught predominantly in private schools.

I now work in the woods. Alone. And am the happier, and wealthier, for it.

The breaking point was parents much more concerned about their brats’ college options than their character.

“You can’t fail my fillintheblank for copying and pasting a Wikipedia page for his book report.”

“Well, that’s cheating. They were warned over and over not to do that. And apprised of the consequences.”

“Yes, well. Can you give him another chance with a makeup assignment?”
I have a friend who is an Attorney and Law Professor.

He says the exact same thing about his students. Many cant write or even spell and they expect to be Lawyers. The school will not let him grade an exceptional student high or flunk a lousy student. He must go before the college committee for approval to do either if they even allow him to do so.

He must adhere to a grading range that is not failing and not hitting it out of the park. Right in the meaty part of the curve like a George Costanza protege. Nobody gets their feelings hurt.

What do you do in the woods?

I think I've read that Stihl invented the chainsaw, but who knows. My main connection with Husqvarna has to do with a hobby of mine: restoring old sewing machines. I buy old sewing machines - from the 19th century through the 1960 or so - restore then resell (some of) them. The only machines as well built as the older Husqvarnas are the older ""black Iron" Singers. Both are so beautifully designed and built, and incorporate so many adjustments for wear that it is actually rare to need any parts to repair/restore them. My wife's two favorite machines are two Husqvarnas, one from '58, the other from the 30's. Both work impeccably. The only issue with the newer ones is that they began to use plastic - Delrin, I think - for some of the precision parts. The plastic shrinks ever so little after a few decades. All you need do though is put a little brass shim stock here and there to restore the dimensions, and they're good for another 50 years or so. It's a pleasure to work on nice machinery. I remember the first time I worked on a Honda motorcyle. It was just beautiful under those case covers: looked like a watch: designed to work, and designed to be worked on. Here's another sort of machine I like working on, A Canadian Hyacinthe wheel, around 1900. My wife uses it all the time: works great. The sewing machine on. the left is 19th c.. The one on the right is a Singer Model 66, 1921. All three work perfectly, even when the power goes out.

View attachment 52863
Very nice.

Nothing like handmade.

The tidal range in the Bay of Fundy is about 16 metres (52 ft); the average tidal range worldwide is only one metre (3.3 ft)
Because of tidal resonance in the funnel-shaped bay, the tides that flow through the channel are very powerful. In one 12-hour tidal cycle, about 100 billion tons (110 billion short tons) of water flows in and out of the bay, which is twice as much as the combined total flow of all the rivers of the world over the same period.[
I knew that

View attachment 52863
If your wife is into some freaky ****, you could attach a crank to that bad boy with a bildo and have some fun.

Hurricane Lee hit Maine yesterday. I played golf. Lost more balls playing 9 than I ever do playing 18 at my home course, but it was still fun. Challenging as hell, but fun. The par three’s were an absolute *****.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back