PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Idle thoughts: a new beginning

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
It’s going to be a very interesting first month. That’s a certainty. The preseason was very vanilla and we saw little to no action from many of the starters on offense. The OL is a big question mark. I anticipated we will be seeing a lot of substitutions while the team works back in all of the starters that have missed a ton of time. The other question mark for me is the passing game. Reports have been very positive that the club looks like a professional team again in that side of the ball. Will guys like Parker and JJSS stay healthy? To your point, will guys be where they need to be so that Mac can utilize a lot of anticipation throws and take advantage of quick developing routes? I have a feeling Henry and Gesicki are going to play a very big role early on if the OL plays well enough to allow them to. The RB situation is very unique. Gotta wonder how many snaps those guys are going to be able to handle early on.

On the defensive side of the ball, how is the run D going to perform? I have a feeling pretty well. Some guys might get caught out of place or get gobbled up by guards and give up some big chunks but I feel pretty confident there overall. Where is Mapu going to spend most of his time and how does Gonzales handle the big lights? Similar to your caution about new kickers, we have to remember that Gonzales is going to be thrown right into the fire and have a ton of learning and humble pie served up. He’s gonna have to learn how to be handsy without being seen and pick up zone concepts as quickly as possible. This Defense has Gonzales, Mapu and White all ready to make significant contributions this year. Hope it plays out that way.

Bill has made quite a few changes on ST’s this offseason. Boy I hope they are better and get back to being one of the top units in the league again.

Last but not least. As many others have mentioned, its time to get back to Patriot football. No more mind numbing mistakes, and getting back to playing hard nosed/ smart football. Last week of the year before football Sundays are back boys and girls. Are you ready for some Fooooootball?!?
The Pats have quite a few (too many imo) STers right now. I'm thinking now that we are already into game week that teams are not going to hijack any special teamers off the waiver wire if we need to add position players to the roster, so I think we'll be good there.

I felt more optimistic after the first pre-season game than I do now. I thought Zappe looked good, considering the dreadful O-line he was playing behind and I was encouraged to see Thornton make a great catch (off what might have been Zappe's worst throw). And I thought that, in the course of the pre-season, the best O-linemen would come back and at least a few of the 21-22 O-line picks would come through.

Now the back-up O-line hasn't shown signs of improvement and we haven't seen anything from the front-line O-line. Behind it, Zappe seemed to regress.

Well, that's just me. What's more significant is that the coaches appear to be in panic mode: desperate for O-linemen and quarterbacks (Case Keenum? Really?) to the point that they disrupt their roster building (11 O-linemen on the 53) .

It's the new season, so of course there are reasons for optimism. Fix the O-line, get Mac into sync with his receivers, play with discipline and things should be fine.

There was a time, before he sold out for clicks and hot takes, being in line with a Curran article would have been a compliment. Now it kind of makes me nervous.
That's the odd thing about him. He can still be a good analyst when he wants to be and he focuses on what he's seeing on the field instead of spinning off-the-field narratives. He sucks when he goes down the hot take route. Yet he still tries to do both, whereas Felger et al have become full time hot take merchants. The problem for Curran is that such bi-polar behavior doesn't work. Either you're a heel or not. Jumping in and out of character ruins the illusion.

I STILL believe that last year's debacle was Bill's holding action until the guy he wanted (BOB) freed up from his contractual obligations. Patricia and Judge where NEVER the long term guys, nor would they have been if the offense had actually been passable last season. They both STILL would have been on to other jobs within the organization. I COULD have worked out.
There's really only one place for blame to go, the one guy who is paid immense dollars to be the grand poo-bah of the team. If he really thought it would work out, then he could have put that theory to test and asked MP to show him how he'd lead the offensive team meeting, what plays he would draw up, etc. This is a six billion dollar asset that he's controlling. He could have and should have put his theory to the test and had a Plan B in place if it did not work. Wasting a year of MJ's development should be a crime.

It's not like defensive coaches don't fully understand offensive concepts, otherwise they could never do their jobs. Where I believed they failed was in their lack of meaningful communications with the offensive side of the ball. They never gained the confidence of the offensive side of the ball and when didn't connect, it was bound to fail. To me it's not like they couldn't have done it well enough, They just DIDN'T do it well enough.
There were reports MP simply could not work through the play concepts, like what to do if the players lined up and saw an unexpected defensive in front of them. That kind of thing drains confidence instantly. I had a similar thing happen in college when I had a professor who was older and not keeping up with the times. The smarter students would ask him questions he could not answer. When it became obvious the prof was lost, most of us stopped paying attention to him for the rest of the semester. It was a bad experience.

So, while I'm in general an IBWT guy, to me it's so clear this was a costly move and not just that, it was a move everyone recognized might not work yet he had no recovery plan for. This from the guy who practices all season long for a play that only showed up once in the season at the end of the Super Bowl. It was definitely not his finest hour. It really set the entire team rebuilding cycle behind by a season, in particular with regard to MJ's development.

Matt Light agrees with this. The discussion he had with Tom Curran is invaluable. A loss of comparative advantage for Belichick in the effort to improve players’ safety by limiting practices and pads may actually be causing players to be less prepared for the rigors once the hitting starts for real.
The rest of the NFL is so lucky they banned 2 and 3 a day practices in 2011. Sure it was implemented for all the teams but The knowledge and preparation that BB was able to instill in the entire roster was unmatched. It really was a huge advantage for a coach that had so much to give and was a master of preparation.
Belichick’s ability to condense and effectively present what needs to be done is awesome. But the necessary time for him to get the troops on board and in shape has been severely limited.

The OL is a big question mark.
Actually, it’s more specifically RT. The same spot that was a dumpster fire last year until put out—by a Jets practice squad player.

It should be noted Bill didn’t address this other than with 34-year-old elder statesman Riley Reiff and a developmental rookie who doesn’t look ready to go for game one in Sidy Sow.

I guess it is our bad luck there wasn’t a better option in the draft.

Actually, it’s more specifically RT. The same spot that was a dumpster fire last year until put out—by a Jets practice squad player.

It should be noted Bill didn’t address this other than with 34-year-old elder statesman Riley Reiff and a developmental rookie who doesn’t look ready to go for game one in Sidy Sow.

It looks like Anderson will be the RT (Lazar guess), a guy we signed from Denver in FA. SMH.

I felt more optimistic after the first pre-season game than I do now. I thought Zappe looked good, considering the dreadful O-line he was playing behind and I was encouraged to see Thornton make a great catch (off what might have been Zappe's worst throw). And I thought that, in the course of the pre-season, the best O-linemen would come back and at least a few of the 21-22 O-line picks would come through.

Now the back-up O-line hasn't shown signs of improvement and we haven't seen anything from the front-line O-line. Behind it, Zappe seemed to regress.

Well, that's just me. What's more significant is that the coaches appear to be in panic mode: desperate for O-linemen and quarterbacks (Case Keenum? Really?) to the point that they disrupt their roster building (11 O-linemen on the 53) .

It's the new season, so of course there are reasons for optimism. Fix the O-line, get Mac into sync with his receivers, play with discipline and things should be fine.
The 11 OLmen seems to me to be an obvious temporary situation. In fact, isn't it already down to 10? When things shake out and people are healthier I expect it will go back to 8 or 9.

I completely understand the worry for RT specifically but I’m also concerned for the guard spots as well. Big Mike and Mr. Strange haven’t been healthy and Strange didn’t exactly light the world on fire last season. I’m hopeful going into his second year he’ll be wiser and much stronger. I definitely understand where you’re coming from though. Since the return of Anderson and the 2 new Tackles, that’s definitely a spot worth watching.

The 11 OLmen seems to me to be an obvious temporary situation. In fact, isn't it already down to 10? When things shake out and people are healthier I expect it will go back to 8 or 9.

Of course. But the fact that they felt they had to do it shows that they were much more unsure of the team than you'd like them to be at the end of training camp.

Of course. But the fact that they felt they had to do it shows that they were much more unsure of the team than you'd like them to be at the end of training camp.
Pretty much due to a rash of OL injuries I think.

Speaking of surprise packages, do you think we'll ever see converted TE Wheatley as an eligible receiver 6th OL? As the rest of the NFL goes fast and light on defense, maybe the Pats sometimes go heavy? PBrown is another hefty guy that can be Gronk-like on a reception - there's a video of him pushing a pile of about four defenders trying to bring him down.

Edit: The PBrown play was against the Pats:

Last edited:
Unsure of the team or having options if all the players weren't ready to return after their injuries?

Given that we now have 8 active OL's, 9 or 10 (our current number isn't unreasonable.

The season is a long one. We will many options at RT. Anderson with Sow as a backup seems to be a fine place to start.

We are actually thinner at OG with both starters returning from injury backed by a draftee who many didn't think would make the roster.
===============
We have 10 as of now. that's a fine number.

There are roster adds at this point every year. And there are positional weak spots every year. Given that this is largely due to injuries, its not bad.

It looks like Anderson will be the RT (Lazar guess), a guy we signed from Denver in FA. SMH.
He is undersized for RT. After his long, undisclosed illness, Calvin Anderson is ready to go at RT, a position he has played sparingly?

Oh-right-ee, then.

Last edited:
He is undersized for RT. After his long, undisclosed illness, Calvin Anderson is ready to go at RT, a position he has played sparingly?

Oh-right-ee, then.

Anderson stated that his illness did not prevent him from working out and staying in shape, and BB stated he is picking up the position quickly. We will see.

I love this 2023 roster, they’re deep and talented. And yes, they are young, which provides some unknowns, but I love the collection of talent.

Assuming health, and the development of young players contributing, they could surprise the NFL watching world.

Anderson stated that his illness did not prevent him from working out and staying in shape, and BB stated he is picking up the position quickly. We will see.
Um. So what’s the point of TC? It’s learning the new system, work as a team, and gain that needful continuity. Can’t you see that Belichick would engage in PR? He was the one playing Reiff in the third preseason game. Like a dope.

Um. So what’s the point of TC? It’s learning the new system, work as a team, and gain that needful continuity. Can’t you see that Belichick would engage in PR? He was the one playing Reiff in the third preseason game. Like a dope.
Reiff was already passed by Sow, he was probably going to be passed over by Anderson who is younger and more athletic. Reiff was playing because he was on the roster bubble.

The Eagles didn’t play any of their starters last preseason, did it effect them?

I love this 2023 roster, they’re deep and talented.
True with the defense and ST. But offense?

OL is a mystery. What happens if Trent Brown goes down?

TEs aren’t deep. Backup QB?

Offense is still a mixed bag.

I do agree our WRs will produce. They’ve been slighted.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back