PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ian Rapoport: Bill Belichick's fate not yet decided, how rest of season goes will determine direction

Did Bill believe the team should pay Brady for the past moving forward.
I am just thinking out loud here ... football is a business .... judge Bill the same ... right?
I hope Bill stays and the GM and player acquisition duties are better delegated ... but again is a business.
The brand matters .... the sponsors matter .... all of that must factor in like Bill factors in future X's and O's.

Should Kraft keep Bill around because of the good old days? Thinking out loud ... that's all.
Kraft should keep Belichick because he is the best who has ever done the job. Every organization has ups and downs. The down time is when you need the best people the most.

Players skills erode with age. Belichick is the same coach today he has always been.
That's definitely not true. BB was once one of the most aggressive coaches in terms of, for example, going for it on fourth down. Now he's become one of the most conservative coaches (and this is not a new thing; it goes back at least a decade).

I dont know what is true but it will be fun to see see Tom E Curran lost his crap over this tomorow and say that he said the same thing . When the local media gets trumped by the national media they lose their head :-D. Same thing happned when rapsheet reported abiut BB's contract extension. Curran then said he found out it was. 2 yrs. But he could'nt break the news there was an extension in the first place.

I dont know what is true but it will be fun to see see Tom E Curran lost his crap over this tomorow and say that he said the same thing . When the local media gets trumped by the national media they lose their head :-D. Same thing happned when rapsheet reported abiut BB's contract extension. Curran then said he found out it was. 2 yrs. But he could'nt break the news there was an extension in the first place.
Curran is already losing it on Twitter.

There is no way that Bob is out here demanding or expecting or hoping they win games and really put them self in no man's land.

No high draft pick and a completely busted and crappy season.

So it doesn't make sense that Bill is coaching for his job.

Bob isn't firing Bill. I just don't see him doing it.

Wether Bill wants to be here anymore is the real story.

Curran is already losing it on Twitter.
He blocked me long ago when i said he is just Brady's dad's voice . But he really shouldnt have said this news so nonchalantly abouy BB's fate being decided on TV without actually writing a report. "It is my understanding in talking to sources I the know" is such piece of crap. Its more like connecting the dots to create a news story which has a good chance of being true but not yet a fact.

Absurd to think 4 games will decide Bill's fate after 23 years. There is no way I believe it. One way or another, Kraft has already decided.

All smoke and mirrors.

That Kraft and his decision makers would base a decision on four meaningless games, and try to pump up the fanbase on a 4-5 win season culminating in beating the Zach Wilson Jets in a meaningless game, tells you everything you need to know about the dysfunctional state of the organization in 2023.
This is exactly why I don't believe this. The decision has already been made. All PR between now and when it is announced.

Absurd to think 4 games will decide Bill's fate after 23 years. There is no way I believe it. One way or another, Kraft has already decided.

All smoke and mirrors.

Which begs the question

Who gave Ian the story? Bill or Bob?

Story doesn't make much sense. and if it is i'm not feeling too good.

so if Bill wins say 2 more games and we are 5-12 Bill stays here as GM/Coach, and we lose out on one of the top QB prospects? seems like a worst case scenario

me thinks Kraft is waffling. Theres definitely a scenario now where we start out next year with Bill back, Zappe as our starting QB and say Marvin harrison jr added to our roster.

Do I think the decision has been made? No, not yet either way.

I think it has to do with the way the organization is run. When Kraft first bought the team, the head coach and GM were two separate departments... for better or worse the team really struggled over that period... more often than not, we weren't highly competitive... we did well with parcels one year, but outside of the 96 super bowl, there wasn't much there...

After carrol the two branches merged with belichick... the model offered consistency... and with that, winning...

If the Pat's do move on from BB it's going to mean wholesale changes with the way this team is run... unless another candidate can be identified to manage both coaching and personnel it risks the return of the instability of the early years of Kraft's stewardship...

If the team does decide to move on, the decision will be made quickly... but not by rkk alone... I think Jonathan will have a strong influence on the decision...

Last edited:
You'd have to be brain dead to believe that BB is talking to the media.
Brain========Dead

I think it has to do with the way the organization is run. When Kraft first bought the team, the head coach and GM were two separate departments... for better or worse the team really struggled over that period... more often than not, we weren't highly competitive... we did well with parcels one year, but outside of the 96 super bowl, there wasn't much there...

After carrol the two branches merged with belichick... the model offered consistency... and with that, winning...

If the Pat's do move on from BB it's going to mean wholesale changes with the way this team is run... unless another candidate can be identified to manage both coaching and personnel it risks the red tirn of the instability of the early years of Kraft's stewardship...

If the team does decide to move on, the decision will be made quickly... but not by rkk alone... I think Jonathan will have a strong influence on the decision...

I think Bill the coach has been fine. I mean this team is still playing hard despite being 3-10 which does say something to coaching.

The problem is Bill as a GM has been poor at least the last 8 years. the drafts which are supposed to how you rebuild a team have yielded poor results. Even if Bill is back as coach idk how you just keep letting him pick the groceries. we NEED a new approach to roster building.

BUT I do see a path here where Kraft waffles and holds onto Bill. he saw brady leave and win a superbowl. he doesn't want to see Bill leave and go break shulas record elsewhere or worse win a superbowl with say the chargers.

I don't agree with it, but I can see a scenario where kraft just is afraid to pull the bandaid off. especially if we play well. he will spin it as the QB

reality is, this isn't some reactionary firing for a poor season. its been poor mismanagement for years now by the "GM" anyone not of bill's stature would've been fired already.

I think Bill the coach has been fine. I mean this team is still playing hard despite being 3-10 which does say something to coaching.

The problem is Bill as a GM has been poor at least the last 8 years. the drafts which are supposed to how you rebuild a team have yielded poor results. Even if Bill is back as coach idk how you just keep letting him pick the groceries. we NEED a new approach to roster building.

BUT I do see a path here where Kraft waffles and holds onto Bill. he saw brady leave and win a superbowl. he doesn't want to see Bill leave and go break shulas record elsewhere or worse win a superbowl with say the chargers.

I don't agree with it, but I can see a scenario where kraft just is afraid to pull the bandaid off. especially if we play well. he will spin it as the QB

reality is, this isn't some reactionary firing for a poor season. its been poor mismanagement for years now by the "GM" anyone not of bill's stature would've been fired already.
Ain't going to argue the GM point... It's has not been a strength of our team for awhile now...

But that's not going to change if BB stays on as the coach... He will always have final say... Maybe the Kraft's can find someone else to come in and help turn the scouting department around, but if he tries to show horn a new guy in without BBs approval, it's just going to cause discord...

Guess that's why RKK gets paid the big bucks... To make these decisions

That's definitely not true. BB was once one of the most aggressive coaches in terms of, for example, going for it on fourth down. Now he's become one of the most conservative coaches (and this is not a new thing; it goes back at least a decade).
This is a misconception not supported by facts.

I respect Kraft for nor being a meddlesome owner with BB. He stuck by him in Spygate & Butler benching. He reportedly allowed Bill to have final say on the Brady matter. However, loyalty is a fine trait until it isn't. Sometimes you need to make tough decisions.

Using four worthless games, while ignoring everything before it, to make a decision is short sighted and prisoner of the moment. Tells me R.K. wants Bill back as HC/GM. I could understand keeping him as HC. The GM part really can't be argued. I don't know how he would sell that to the fans.

Last edited:
But Tommy Boy Currans sources...

If the Pat's do move on from BB it's going to mean wholesale changes with the way this team is run... unless another candidate can be identified to manage both coaching and personnel it risks the red tirn of the instability of the early years of Kraft's stewardship...

I said this previously. It's just on what I've seen local sports shows in Boston say etc.

I get the sense the younger Kraft is more open to Bill leaving than his Dad is. He seems more cutthroat and not hung up on past accolades.

If he has a big day in the matter, I think Bill's changes of leaving are higher.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
Back