PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Idle thoughts: Moral victory, or Lost opportunity....

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
I expect that by the end of the season BB will know if Mac is QBotF. But I expect what he does is likelybto be the same whether or not he thinks Mac is that guy.

I expect Bill will use the fifth year option, *and* draft (or potentially sign) the best QB he can get. Priority of getting a high quality QB prospect may be adjusted if Mac looks like he is that guy, but I still expect a prospect will be drafted to upgrade from Zappe. Mac will be competing for his job in training camp next year and the year after. Even if he remains starter next year he may end up sitting in year 5 if the guy drafted next year is good enough to play after one year of seasoning.

Pretty much the only thing I can see changing what happens would be BB deciding that Mac is not the guy, and cutting ties in the off-season. That means there’s a succession plan, and Mac is really not making the grade (whatever that might be). I don’t expect this is very likely however.

My expectation is that if Mac fails this season, BB will go back into the draft for a new QB. He might hold onto Mac for a while to see the new QB in training camp first and if he likes what he sees he will ship Mac off for like a 4th or 5th round pick if he can even get that much by then.

You sure better hope Mac doesn't keep playing this way, or your "Mac sucks" takes will be the laughingstock of the board.

If Mac keeps playing this way and continues to throw for 5.8 YPA this offense will end up losing the Patriots even more games.

I'd rather see Mac return to his rookie season form or maybe something even better since it's his 3rd season now. That's the whole reason why we brought in BOB, wasn't it? In the hopes that a better OC would help Mac develop into the QB we first saw and maybe evolve into something better than the "popgun arm" and "deer in headlights" Mac we saw in 2022?

If Mac keeps playing this way and continues to throw for 5.8 YPA this offense will end up losing the Patriots even more games.

I'd rather see Mac return to his rookie season form or maybe something even better since it's his 3rd season now. That's the whole reason why we brought in BOB, wasn't it? In the hopes that a better OC would help Mac develop into the QB we first saw and maybe evolve into something better than the "popgun arm" and "deer in headlights" Mac we saw in 2022?
He threw for 318 yards and 3 TD's last week for 6th best QB preformance in the league.

I swear, Mac Jones could find a cure for cancer and people would still say he's a worthless POS.

Pretend for a moment they won’t play the Eagles every Sunday and one day they’ll probably get their deep threats in Parker and Thornton back healthy.

Maybe it's me but I thought the 5.8ypg was due to the game plan due to the eagles having a monster DL and injuries across our OL. So you want to get the ball out quickly. Also we couldn't really run the ball. Pats always use the screen as an extension of the run game when it's not working.

It seemed to work as Mac wasn't sacked much and put up 300 yards and 3tds.

The game plan will change based on the opponent. The fact that you have to cling to that to discredit his performance shows it's all about being "right" because you don't like Mac.

I don't see those tds he threw happening last year. There's definitely improvement.

Tua's injury history seems more relevant to why he has struggled to develop in the NFL.

Article: Tua Tagovailoa injury history: A complete timeline of injuries for Dolphins QB

It's a long list so it's more of a triumph that he overcame those injuries and still managed to emerge as a top tier QB in the division despite all of that working against him.

This is just a boldfaced lie. The narrative on Tua was he had a weak arm and was small before last year. They literally would bring out Ryan Fitzpatrick to make hail maries or deep throws.

No one lauded him as some physical specimen prospect.

He didn't put up those numbers until Tyreek hill came. He still has a weak arm. But hill and waddle make up for it.

I'm still not sure I would call him a top tier QB...I think he is proof that weapons do matter

It's below average because games are won with points and the Pats only had 20, which I think is below the average.

Football is a team game. Yet singular players can have good performances in a losing effort.

It's like saying Bourne or hunter Henry had poor games because we only had 20.

PFF had it the sixth best of the 1st week.
I took a quick look at the scoreboard and I didn't see yards or even TD's. Maybe I missed them. I did however see points and the Pats had 20 of them (below the current average) and Philthy had 25 (above the current average). It doesn't get any plainer or simpler than that.

Football is a team game. Yet singular players can have good performances in a losing effort.

It's like saying Bourne or hunter Henry had poor games because we only had 20.
Right, it's a team game and the team scored 20, which is below the average. If people here mistook my comment as a knock on Mac Jones or any other player it wasn't. I was merely responding to a poster who disputed my claim that the offense was below average.

Right, it's a team game and the team scored 20, which is below the average. If people here mistook my comment as a knock on Mac Jones or any other player it wasn't. I was merely responding to a poster who disputed my claim that the offense was below average.

Well in that case I will agree. I think some of the play calling and coaching left some to be desired. 2 runs on 4th, bill not taking the points. The fumble and the pick obviously, Boutte not getting his feet in bounds twice.

But at least the offense looks promising, that if they clean some of that stuff up they can win some games here. And Boutte/Douglas looks like they can play.

That's more than. Could be said about last year

It's below average because games are won with points and the Pats only had 20, which I think is below the average.
If you think that 20 points against the PHI defense is below average, then so be it. I suggest watching the stats on the rest of PHI's games.

If we want to talk averages, the WR's played below average, even against a top defense (one who was busy shutting down our run).

Points are the bottom line, correct.

That is incorrect. If the defense scores TWO TDs off turnovers and the offense kicks 2 FGs to get to 20 points, did your offense have a good day? Context still matters.

In the last game, the Patriots offense got 300 yards through the air but only 5.8 YPA. That aerial game isn't as good as the yardage 'totals' make it look. It was struggling.

Likewise our two lead backs only had 54 yards combined between the two of them. Meanwhile Rhamondre Stevenson only got his 25 yards rushing on a paltry 2.1 YPC.

I get it, he was a beast last year. But this is a brand new season and there's no excusing how BAD our running game was last week against the Eagles!
The PHI offense had a weak showing, even against a top defense.

Our offense had a good showing against a top defense.
==
BOTTOM LINE
At this point, PHI is a better team. We are a playoff contender, they are a SB contender.

Klemm and his boys were amazingly good against PHI, especially given their experience (especially together).

We were in the game at the end against one of the very best.

Yes, it was a lost opportunity, and the WR's understand that. However, it was also an opportunity to see just how good our Defense can be, and also to see that Sow and Mafi and Anderson are solid players.

Last edited:
The PHI offense had a weak showing, even against a top defense.

Our offense had a good showing against a top defense.

Most fans here thought it would be a blowout. Now that they lost a competitive game it's a failure...

Its week 1 and so far the product looks alot better than it did last year. If they keep building off what we saw and co time to improve this team could be real good

This is just a boldfaced lie. The narrative on Tua was he had a weak arm and was small before last year. They literally would bring out Ryan Fitzpatrick to make hail maries or deep throws.

No one lauded him as some physical specimen prospect.

He didn't put up those numbers until Tyreek hill came. He still has a weak arm. But hill and waddle make up for it.

I'm still not sure I would call him a top tier QB...I think he is proof that weapons do matter
Tua may not be elite, but he showed the ability to lead game-winning drives and keep up in shootouts even before Tyreek came. And that was with a dysfunctional coaching staff.

And he has great zip on the ball, even if he underthrows deep ones.

What i hate most about the moral victory argument is that we just saw the Jets win the Bills despite Rodgers getting injured.

Its not difficult to upset a good team, espeically in week 1. So we have the right to be disappointed with the Patriots

Tua may not be elite, but he showed the ability to lead game-winning drives and keep up in shootouts even before Tyreek came. And that was with a dysfunctional coaching staff.

And he has great zip on the ball, even if he underthrows deep ones.
I hate the narrative against Tua because the WRs elevated his game. The guy has been lighting up (when healthy). He leads a Top 5 offense.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back