PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Idle thoughts: Moral victory, or Lost opportunity....

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
Except for health issues, I think he is very good. Decisive, quick, accurate throws.
Yeah he ain't top 5 or anything, but he has some great traits

The Pats play him well though. He's inconsistent against us.

Yeah he ain't top 5 or anything, but he has some great traits

The Pats play him well though. He's inconsistent against us.
If you say so. I’m looking around and other than the big 3 AFC guys, I’m not sure who the QBs are that are better than him. People want to say it’s the WRs, fine. But he’s lighting it up with those receivers. People say Herbert, but he’s yet to actually win a lot of games. Hurt, yeah, maybe? Goff? Stafford? There’s just not a lot of great ones right now.

If you say so. I’m looking around and other than the big 3 AFC guys, I’m not sure who the QBs are that are better than him. People want to say it’s the WRs, fine. But he’s lighting it up with those receivers. People say Herbert, but he’s yet to actually win a lot of games. Hurt, yeah, maybe? Goff? Stafford? There’s just not a lot of great ones right now.
I mean, obviously this year is different, but in general:

Mahomes
Burrow
Allen

And I'd say Herbert and Lamar

Are better.

I know Herbert hasn't yet won a lot of games yet, but in his 3 seasons starting, it's not as if he's choked a bunch of times. He's had enough game-winning drives.

But after that? The only person you could even argue over Tua is Hurts, but that season last year is doing a lot of heavy lifting for Hurts. And Hurts has always had a good line, as where Tua had some bad lines early on.

So yeah Tua is at minimum top 7. And depending on how you feel about Herbert, Lamar, Hurts, etc. Tua could be top 5 as well.

Well in that case I will agree. I think some of the play calling and coaching left some to be desired. 2 runs on 4th, bill not taking the points. The fumble and the pick obviously, Boutte not getting his feet in bounds twice.

But at least the offense looks promising, that if they clean some of that stuff up they can win some games here. And Boutte/Douglas looks like they can play.

That's more than. Could be said about last year
Yes, I agree that they're better than last year and there's room to grow. And I also look at teams as teams, meaning that offense, defense and ST's should all be trying to score points. Take the Philty loss as an example. There was a pick 6 scored by the defense. Are people going to say that the Philthy QB scored 25 points or was it the team? Of course it's the team. It always is.

What I don't get is the overreaction by some fans to just saying that the offense was below average, which by any definition it was. I even had one clown put an ugh down there without one word of why he feels that way. My feeling is that those posters can't make a decent argument so they click on some negative emoji instead. They're probably not equipped to have the argument anyway.

Mahomes
Burrow
Allen

Are better.

I know Herbert hasn't yet won a lot of games yet, but in his 3 seasons starting, it's not as if he's choked a bunch of times. He's had enough game-winning drives.

But after that? The only person you could even argue over Tua is Hurts, but that season last year is doing a lot of heavy lifting for Hurts. And Hurts has always had a good line, as where Tua had some bad lines early on.

So yeah Tua is at minimum top 7. And depending on how you feel about Herbert, Lamar, Hurts, etc. Tua could be top 5 as well.
Excuse me if I misread this, but I thought I saw a stat that Herbert has the most yards passing in his first 3 years than any QB in history. Of course that's skewed by the emphasis on passing these days, but it says that Herbert is pretty good.

The thing I want to see from my QB is the ability to read a defense and deliver the ball from the pocket whenever possible. Yes, it's great to have a QB who's mobile enough to move around but I want nothing to do with a Lamar Jackson type.

As for Tua, I'll be surprised if he lasts the season. At some point one of their opponents are going to hit him just right and knock him out.

Is it me or is Josh Allen reverting back to his stupid days? I though he was over the stupidity of running a lot and taking on defenders. Even with his size he can't keep doing that. So, keep on runnin' Josh old boy.

Even in the case of Mahomes he didn't start winning SBs until he stopped running so much and started to read the defenses, which I don't think is his, or many other QB's, strong suit either.

I remember when Cant Newton was in the draft and bragging about how great he was going to be. His term was that he was going to be an icon. Well, there was a Giants linebacker at the time who argued that you can't win in the NYFL with running QBs and that they need to learn how to pass from the pocket. He even mentioned Brady and Manning as examples. I think that's still the case.

What I don't get is the overreaction by some fans to just saying that the offense was below average, which by any definition it was.
I think most people determine offense by techniques more complicated than taking all the scores and dividing in half. I don’t really care about it, since the point is that they lost the game, but there’s definitely room to read the stats differently and have a difference of opinion.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree that they're better than last year and there's room to grow. And I also look at teams as teams, meaning that offense, defense and ST's should all be trying to score points. Take the Philty loss as an example. There was a pick 6 scored by the defense. Are people going to say that the Philthy QB scored 25 points or was it the team? Of course it's the team. It always is.

What I don't get is the overreaction by some fans to just saying that the offense was below average, which by any definition it was. I even had one clown put an ugh down there without one word of why he feels that way. My feeling is that those posters can't make a decent argument so they click on some negative emoji instead. They're probably not equipped to have the argument anyway.

I just think with the offense week 1 you see fixable mistakes where if they clean up those areas they can compete. They were a foot in from going in for the win.

Whereas last year I saw nothing redeeming. I have confidence they can probably hang with the dolphins this week.

Where last year I questioned if they could put together a single drive

Mahomes
Burrow
Allen

Are better.

Yeah, it’s just a different NFL than even 2 years ago and somehow Tua, when healthy, is definitely near the top now.

When teams stop trying and just quit, that is when I check out. I will not waste my time on losers.

If the Iggles did to us what the Cowboys did to the Gints......oh boy.

This is where I am at as well. As long as they keep fighting I will keep supporting them, as soon as they quit on themselves I will pay less attention.

I think we are 2 WR stud and 2 OL stud away from even competing . We should expend our resources before we get the QB of our future. Else we will break our QB by playing behind these lines. I would actually be okay to trade down to top 7 or 8 and collect assets to build offensive line and wide receiving corps.

For now we need bill to be out the GM seat and also possibly interfering with offensive side of the ball. Cut the bait with Parker and JuJu and play Thornton and Boutte all the way till they of season.

Don't waste snaps on these 2 who are not going to be out future. Bill has absolutely sucked in developing offensive talent in last 5 years . He just seems incapable on offensive side like Matt Patricia and Joe judge.

I think we are 2 WR stud and 2 OL stud away from even competing . We should expend our resources before we get the QB of our future. Else we will break our QB by playing behind these lines. I would actually be okay to trade down to top 7 or 8 and collect assets to build offensive line and wide receiving corps.

For now we need bill to be out the GM seat and also possibly interfering with offensive side of the ball. Cut the bait with Parker and JuJu and play Thornton and Boutte all the way till they of season.

Don't waste snaps on these 2 who are not going to be out future. Bill has absolutely sucked in developing offensive talent in last 5 years . He just seems incapable on offensive side like Matt Patricia and Joe judge.
If the Pats have a top 3 pick they can and will fleece another team for the pick. I expect a new GM and he could go so many ways with that bounty.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back