PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Brandon Spikes time with the Patriots limited?

Status
Not open for further replies.
he's stats last year where better then Dannell Ellerbe who got a big pay day from the fish if he has one more year like that he may want that type of money

Ellerbe only started 7 games to boot, although he racked up 4+ sacks last season too.

I don't see him getting that kind of money, but I wouldn't be surprised if he sets his eyes on something in the 5 million+ aav range with another good year, and I just can't imagine Belichick paying that.

I have no idea about Spikes, but the way the NFL is structured in the free agency era, no team can keep all of its players at the end of their rookie contracts. You have to let many of them walk, with a steady stream of replacements giving you three or four years on a rookie deal. It's not a reflection on the player you lose or a reflection on the team. As I forget who said, "It is what it is...."

Shortly before the Draft last year I was stating the need for a trade up to target a mlb to replace spikes next year. While spikes may have toned it down abit on the social media scene, I do not think that changes my assumption of him as the type that wants a big contract for the respect factor.

He is a great player. Yes, on run downs. Any one else remember laughing at Buffalo trying to run late when Spikes essentially knocked Fred Jackson (toughest rb in the division in my worthless opinion) out, and forced the fumble we recovered? He is a certified weapon against the run, but isn't as bad as people make him out to be when called on the short middle against the pass. A big hit is a big hit. When the opposing rb/te takes him short outside/intermediate... It gets ugly.

Enter Hightower. Better feet. Smarts. Collegiate captain. Big bodied. Instinctive. Seems like a decent replacement. Especially if we move back to a 34 more full time. The kid out of Canada screams 34 de to me. Armstead. Jones. Wikfork. Check. Hightower, mayo, spikes, Collins. Check. Anyone else getting slightly stiff over this or should I wake the wife up and forget my rant?

Back to topic...I love watching spikes take years off of opposing rb careers with the best of em, I just get the nagging suspicion he will want to get paid. And bb generally doesn't pay players with the type of gaping hole he has proved to have so far.

Grabbed that means we chase another ilb early next year... Or wait, how do you spell the name of the seventh round coaches son's pick? (Is facetious the word? Or maybe tampered enthusiasm for the possibilities)

Only time will tell, and I hope he stays, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Belichick decided to move on. There's a possibility that the picks in Hightower and Collins may be preparing for that. I would have to think that the odds of a guy like Ninkovich would be higher than a guy like Spikes staying on--but that's just my opinion.
The New England Patriots already have $117,606,368 salary cap dollars committed for the 2014-15 NFL Season.

» Over the Cap- New England Patriots 2014 Salary Cap Page

Quite frankly, I would not surprise me if any of the unrestricted New England Patriot defensive players are not retained for the 2014-15 NFL Season aside from the veteran minimum salaried players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back