PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Pats' FA Class is Straightforward

patsinthesnow

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
OT Michael Onwenu - An elite RG & an above average RT. He's their best player on offense and is worth the tag if they can't reach an agreement.

---------------------------------------------------

S Kyle Dugger - An above average SS who is good against the run and inconsistent in coverage. He's a non-elite player at a devalued position. They also have Peppers signed to potentially replace him anyway.

TE Hunter Henry - A 500-600 yard receiving TE that can't block. He's replaceable but I would be fine with him returning.

OT Trent Brown - He's gone

WR Kendrick Bourne - A WR3 coming off a torn ACL. Might be worth re-signing on a 1 year deal.

EDGE Anfernee Jennings - A run defending EDGE that won't be valued on the market. Should be able to return on a cheap deal.

EDGE Josh Uche - A 30-40% snap rotational EDGE that will be valued more elsewhere.

CB Myles Bryant - Shouldn't be starting with a healthy secondary. Not a good fit for a man defense either.

Ezekiel Elliott - 29 year old depth RB. Don't pay for depth RBs.

This seems straightforward. Thoughts?

OT Michael Onwenu - An elite RG & an above average RT. He's their best player on offense and is worth the tag if they can't reach an agreement.

S Kyle Dugger - An above average SS who is good against the run and inconsistent in coverage. He's a non-elite player at a devalued position. They also have Peppers signed to potentially replace him anyway.

TE Hunter Henry - A 500-600 yard receiving TE that can't block. He's replaceable but I would be fine with him returning.

WR Kendrick Bourne - A WR3 coming off a torn ACL. Might be worth re-signing on a 1 year deal.

EDGE Anfernee Jennings - A run defending EDGE that won't be valued on the market. Should be able to return on a cheap deal.

EDGE Josh Uche - A 30-40% snap rotational EDGE that will be valued more elsewhere.

CB Myles Bryant - Shouldn't be starting with a healthy secondary. Not a good fit for a man defense either.

Agreed, not too much to get worked up about in this group

MUST SIGN - Onwenu, Henry, Bourne, Jennings, P. Brown
LIKE IF -$ - Dugger, Uche, Gesicki
TAKE OR LEAVE - Mills, Elliot, Wilson, Bryant
DUMP - T. Brown, Slater (it's time)

Agree mostly but I would wanna keep zeke as rb2 and pharaoh brown as he flashed a bit as a secondary te option. They were 2 of the actual good finds by bb this year.

Id keep henry just for the sake of not creating another hole/need. Fa options aren’t any better and We have drafted poorly there since gronk/hern. Dont want another 2019/2020 situation at te.

Dugger has playmaking ability, not sure if hes worth opening up the wallet tho. Thats a tough one to predict

At the beginning of the season I was annoyed they hadn’t worked out an extension with Dugger.

But now, I might be OK with letting him walk. His effort has been pretty suspect at times and his tackling has really dropped off (maybe a function of the effort). Love me some Peppers!

Nice summary. I think Bryant and Elliot are worth keeping if the price is right. I know that Myles Bryant is not starting material, he has proven to be a good depth piece who provides some positional flexibility. Zeke has been a surprisingly good addition who is still productive in a limited role and provides veteran leadership.

Last edited:
Mostly agree.

Matthew Slaters salary, as a long term vested veteran, counts pennies on the dollar towards the cap... 60% iirc.... To me you let a guy like that make the decision to come back or retire in instead of out right releasing him...

I do realize though, If BB is gone, he won't be given that option, and will not brought back

Slater aside, I mostly agree, and would 100% agree 5-6 weeks ago. I'd move Wilson up a tier. He's progressed pretty well on the back half of this season.

Must Keep
Hunter Henry, TE
Michael Onwenu, RG/OL
Anfernee Jennings, EDGE

Should Keep
Kendrick Bourne, WR
Mike Gesicki, TE
Ezekiel Elliott, RB
Kyle Dugger, S
Mack Wilson, LB
Josh Uche, EDGE

Contributes to a degree, Come back for short dollars, fine by me...
Myles Bryant, CB
Jalen Mills, DB (void year)
Pharaoh Brown, TE
Jalen Reagor, WR

Eh, nah... Im cool, thanks for the contributions though
Cody Davis, S
James Ferentz, RG
Riley Reiff, RT

Just Say No...
Trent Brown LT (void year)

Retirement...
Matt Slater, STHOF (Special Teams HOF'er)

Restricted Rights Free Agents & Exclusive Rights Free Agents -
eh, doesn't matter either way... guys like these churn the roster bottom/practice squad transaction sheets
Terez Hall, LB (RFA)
Christian Elliss, LB (ERFA)
Alex Austin, CB (ERFA)
Nathan Rourke, QB (ERFA)
Tre Nixon, WR (ERFA)
Tyrone Wheatley Jr., RT (EFRA)

Last edited:

I would try to sign Onwenu and Henry. Probably the two best offensive players. The others are more easily replaceable. Trent? Well . . .

Owenu will get the most attention. Dugger will be next in line, but Peppers may be his replacement.

Uche will depart because Jennings will come back cheap and Keion White and Judon returning on the edge.

Henry, Bourne and Elliot should come back cheap, but they need to overhaul the entire offense.

Mostly agree.

Matthew Slaters salary, as a long term vested veteran, counts pennies on the dollar towards the cap... 60% iirc.... To me you let a guy like that make the decision to come back or retire in instead of out right releasing him...

I do realize though, If BB is gone, he won't be given that option, and will not brought back
Slater is done….he should come back as a ST coach!

I generally agree with all of this. The only minor items I would disagree on would be:

- Bryant: should be cheap, has a lot of flexibility. Not a starter. For very low money, bring him back.
- Elliot: they don’t have a third down back and he’s their best pass protector at RB, if another team doesn’t throw big dollars at him then it would be nice to keep him.
- Uche: I don’t think his market will be as hot as he thinks it is, maybe they’ll find room to agree on a modest deal. He’s a nice piece when Judon is healthy, and Barmore is finally unlocking his potential. Could be good…

Have to agree that tagging Onwenu is the biggest priority above all else if they don’t get a deal done before free agency. You at least guarantee one tackle spot is OK. Then let Dugger and Henry test their markets and see what’s out there. Dugger is very very good when utilized to his strengths but limited when not played within that niche. Might rather use those dollars on 2 decent true free safeties and just use Peppers in his role. Henry is a good player but not elite. Would rather spring for a top WR and make Brown the top TE than spend on Henry.

Onwenu is a keeper and needs a sizeable contract extension

I’d give Duggar a good raise but I wouldn’t break the bank for him. Let’s see if he takes a team friendly deal. He’ll probably get offered more from other teams that we won’t be inclined to match or go above.

Keep Bryant, Jennings, Zeke, Bourne for reasonable contracts

We should keep 2 of our 3 TEs. I like Brown (minus yesterday’s fumble) because he’s a decent pash catcher, but more importantly, he’s the only TE we have who can block. We should keep one of Henry or Gesicki, but not both. They pretty much do the same thing; Henry seems more productive.

Say good-bye to Brown and Uche. Brown is unmotivated and lazy. Uche shows up once every 3-4 games and then completely disappears; he can be upgraded in FA.

I would say Onwenu is the only Offensive must sign. I would like to retain Dugger, Jennings, Mack Wilson and Pharoah Brown. Pay Barmore now, the price will only go up.

I'll make two points on this.

1. Hunter Henry is arguably our best receiving talent. It would probably be a mistake after years of trying to find a TE to drop him and worry about not only replacing a viable TE but one of the few good talents at WR.

2. Zeke has been about as good as Stevenson and has shown more heart and grit. He isn't so much a depth piece as an equal tandem with him. I'd rather keep him. Especially if we do invest in the line and give both of them better quality carries. That to me is more valuable than having to replace him

Must Keep
Hunter Henry, TE
Michael Onwenu, RG/OL
Anfernee Jennings, EDGE

Should Keep
Kendrick Bourne, WR
Mike Gesicki, TE
Ezekiel Elliott, RB
Kyle Dugger, S
Mack Wilson, LB
Josh Uche, EDGE

Contributes to a degree, Come back for short dollars, fine by me...
Myles Bryant, CB
Jalen Mills, DB (void year)
Pharaoh Brown, TE
Jalen Reagor, WR

Eh, nah... Im cool, thanks for the contributions though
Cody Davis, S
James Ferentz, RG
Riley Reiff, RT

Just Say No...
Trent Brown LT (void year)

Retirement...
Matt Slater, STHOF (Special Teams HOF'er)

Restricted Rights Free Agents & Exclusive Rights Free Agents -
eh, doesn't matter either way... guys like these churn the roster bottom/practice squad transaction sheets
Terez Hall, LB (RFA)
Christian Elliss, LB (ERFA)
Alex Austin, CB (ERFA)
Nathan Rourke, QB (ERFA)
Tre Nixon, WR (ERFA)
Tyrone Wheatley Jr., RT (EFRA)
Good list.Your "short dollars" group should ALL be retained. Bryant is valuable in that secondary, and Reagor is just starting to come on. Gaining confidence and with a TON of speed and talent.
If Mills goes, he can be replaced (might be anyway). And I like Brown but wouldn't lose any sleep if he left.
Also, definitely keep Mack Wilson. Another athlete who's figuring it out.

I’d be happy with Onwenu, Dugger and Jennings.

I wouldn’t hate resigning Zeke, hes going to be making end of the line money and I think he’s about as solid a backup you’d be able to find

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back