PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is it possible to be a shutdown CB in this NFL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Is it possible to be a shutdown CB in this NFL? I do not think it is. I think the season Revis had in 2011 is no longer a possibility. CBs can no longer cover WRs they are only able to guard them now. Revis, Sherman, Peterson, Talib, etc. have all been beat this season, and it is because they are forced to give the WR so much if they do not get a perfect jam off the line every time they basically are running a 50 mile race against a guy who only has to run 25 miles of it.

I think a great example of this is Browner’s coverage in the Broncos game that was called for pass interference in the end zone, back in 2011 that would have been highlight reel coverage; it went from being a great play to a terrible play in a 2-3 year span.

No and i've been thinking this for a while. The question is, if, as a team, knowing it's no longer possible to have a shutdown corner, do you invest 12-15m per year on a near shutdown corner?

Watching the Pats D play with Revis, or healthy Talib and then without them should answer that question.

Browner plus Dennard plus 12 million to spend elsewhere versus Browner plus Revis. I'm all for signing Revis to a long-term contract but I don't think it's as cut and dried as you make out. Sure, if Revis completely shuts down the opposing top receiver, then yes but if the current rules mean that Revis is giving up four or five catches every game then I think it's a worthwhile debate.

I am not sure..becasue i have seen revis shut down a number of WRs this year...watkins...aj Green...pretty much anyone in the denver game aside from that 1 drive.

No and i've been thinking this for a while. The question is, if, as a team, knowing it's no longer possible to have a shutdown corner, do you invest 12-15m per year on a near shutdown corner?
I am going to think about this question, it is a good one.

Ask me again in mid-February. :D

I am not sure..becasue i have seen revis shut down a number of WRs this year...watkins...aj Green...pretty much anyone in the denver game aside from that 1 drive.

While I agree with your thinking in many respects I think Revis benefits from his name deterring QBs from throwing his direction, especially Cutler and Orton type QBs who are mistake prone. I worry that as the rules favor the WR more that will lessen and QBs will not shy away from any CBs.

Watching the Pats D play with Revis, or healthy Talib and then without them should answer that question.

Depends on definition. If you mean like Richard Sherman in week 1 where they were afraid to test him? No. That level is silly today.

Does a great CB, a modern "shutdown" CB make a medium defense great? Yes. In fact if you add the "it must be legal if Revis did it" angle and the playoffs where the re-re-emphasis of Shula's bad rule goes away...

Not with defensive holding being the "point of emphasis".

Wait until January. If they let them play in the playoffs, then yes it's worth it. If the regular season emphasis continues, then it's a hard decision. But if the "they let them play" rules come out, revis will easily be able to shutdown any WR.

Browner plus Dennard plus 12 million to spend elsewhere versus Browner plus Revis. I'm all for signing Revis to a long-term contract but I don't think it's as cut and dried as you make out. Sure, if Revis completely shuts down the opposing top receiver, then yes but if the current rules mean that Revis is giving up four or five catches every game then I think it's a worthwhile debate.
The current rules do not mean that.

I think that the new "point of emphasis" actually increases the importance of good CB play. It may not be possible for any CB to completely shut down the field week after week, but I can't remember ever seeing such a stark distinction between the impact of good CB play and poor CB play. So far I think the investment in our secondary has been well worth it.

No, there is no shut down corner in the same sense as a few years ago. The question is the value of an elite corner in this pass-happy league. I still think that a corner like Revis is worth as much as almost any other defensive player.

I think that it is awesome to have Butler and Dennard as backups, and guys like Ryan and Harmon in minimal roles.

I think that the defense is transformed by having Revis and Browner as regulars instead of Ryan and Dennard.

Revis still gets away with everything he got away with in 2009 and 2010. The only difference is he's 5 years older.

Shut down corners can still exist it's just that there currently isn't a defensive back -that- good. The guys mentioned are the closest thing there is, but none of them are as good as Revis was, including Revis. They are all still very good players despite the rules in place saying they shouldn't be.

sherman is the closest to a shutdown cb. he even follows the other teams number 1 now.

Well, you could always follow the Jet's model...

the average price for a starting CB in the NFL is around 7 million so if you can get a CB that can keep any WR in check does not need to shut him down for only 5 million more its worth it,

now if we are talking should the pats pay Revis at 30 years old 12+ million I think if revis can play the way he has so far this year for two more years then yes they should pay but I also don't think its a must to re-sign him I think the pats can get by with the DB's on the roster if they add one more pass rusher on the other side of jones and who knows maybe that guy is already on the roster in Akeem Ayers

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back