PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which veteran will they add at CB?

The whole defense was bad that year.. BB said it himself. 03 defense was phenomenal..
It was discussed at length at the time. Milloy made zero impact plays and that was why he was asked to take a pay cut.

BB did NOT say everyone on the defense was bad in 2002.

It was discussed at length at the time. Milloy made zero impact plays and that was why he was asked to take a pay cut.

BB did NOT say everyone on the defense was bad in 2002.
He said we were bad on defense last season referring to '02.. we couldn't stop the run we needed to get better on D..

He said we were bad on defense last season referring to '02.. we couldn't stop the run we needed to get better on D..
Right, he didn’t say everyone on defense was bad.
He did say Milloy made zero impact plays and needed to take a paycut to stay.

And truly, from what I saw, he won the job.
Yep, hence why it’s nearly ridiculous to hear the suggestion elsewhere in this thread that we’re relying on him as outside CB depth, when anyone with eyes knows he’ll be occupied at safety

Yep, hence why it’s nearly ridiculous to hear the suggestion elsewhere in this thread that we’re relying on him as outside CB depth, when anyone with eyes knows he’ll be occupied at safety

Yep; and having Jonathan Jones be at two places at the same time...

best case for Jack Jones would be a slap on the wrist type sentence, but would think the league would also penalize him 2-4 games
so Pats best case scenario is Jones missing 2 games.
I agree that Marcus Jones has been up and down this summer in coverage, and could see Mills playing some CB

Right because belichick never uses a player in different roles.

Major buzzkill seeing the Jones injury news and potential to be IRed. Especially since outside CB depth was already a question mark beforehand.

Greedy Williams. If they want the bargain basement, high upside (knock on wood) route, they could kick the tires on Kyle Fuller (former Bears stud rehabbing an acl injury iirc from Baltimore last yr) or Jason Verrett.

Greedy Williams. If they want the bargain basement, high upside (knock on wood) route, they could kick the tires on Kyle Fuller (former Bears stud rehabbing an acl injury iirc from Baltimore last yr) or Jason Verrett.

Yep; there's also Will Jackson, Bradley Roby & Cameron Dantzler on the street; while dudes like Sidney Jones, Anthony Brown, Darren Hall, Tevaughn Campbell, Keith Taylor, CJ Goodwin, Amani Oruwariye, Corey Ballentine & Artie Burns are on practice squads...

Heck we could even return Jalen Mills to Outside CB and sign one of our old friends to play FS such as Logan Ryan, Duran Harmon & Eric Rowe (currently on Carolina's PS)...

I'm sure we'll know more by the end of today with final roster cuts. You have said it best.. we need a Veteran someone proven, someone who's had at least 5,6 years NFL experience. Jack I'm sure mentally he's dealing with alot.. however it's self inflicted... I'm sure that has to be bothering him mentally. Wich in turn affects his play on the field. He's a much better player than he's show this pre season. This season.. it has to be all about maximizing the young guys in what they do best.. gonzo is an outside Man corner.. he needs to excel in that area.. he was drafted to be able to man up and challenge teams #1s.. I believe he can as in the pre season I noticed QBs weren't throwing his way often. Nonetheless.. I hope BB doesn't bring in another bargain bin CB some 6th rounder, STs player with " potential ".. for outside CB.. we have enough of those guys already.. go after a Veteran somehow!
I'm sure there are plenty of proven veteran CBs hanging around looking for work. Shouldn't be a problem.

After watching the game today I’m less concerned with signing a veteran CB than I am about finding a veteran QB to sign.

it did not seem to me that the CBs were a problem. Problems were on the O, it was the QB and WRs that underperformed and showed a lack of depth.

I'm sure there are plenty of proven veteran CBs hanging around looking for work. Shouldn't be a problem.
Agreed, it's a long season and I'm sure BB will bring in a vet to provide depth. After week 1 this defense is great! They ooze confi and will only get better as the season goes on.

After watching the game today I’m less concerned with signing a veteran CB than I am about finding a veteran QB to sign.

it did not seem to me that the CBs were a problem. Problems were on the O, it was the QB and WRs that underperformed and showed a lack of depth.
Due to the Grind of the season, and seeing Marcus take hits on kicks and punt returns he may not last the entire season. Jack is already out, and who knows when he will return. And once again a guy with size and length like Wade still cannot see game day action. Wade is a guy you'd like to see be in the rotation at CB.. So I think we need another guy with size at CB.

With the benefit of hindsight now/tonight’s game, it seems Mac might be the least of the problem among all those position groups.

With the benefit of hindsight now/tonight’s game, it seems Mac might be the least of the problem among all those position groups.
As I've said. Jonathan Jones has been great for us. But he's on the other side of 30.. Marcus is a great athlete but small.. myles Bryant is an effort guy ,depth player.. Jack is unavailable obviously..

It was brought up earlier in another thread - greedy Williams is available

It’s surprising Belichick hasn’t tried him out, he has always given high picks a look when they get released. His tape must be terrible. And if I remember correctly tackling is not a strength of his.

As I've said. Jonathan Jones has been great for us. But he's on the other side of 30.. Marcus is a great athlete but small.. myles Bryant is an effort guy ,depth player.. Jack is unavailable obviously..

Looks like Marcus is gonna be unavailable for a while now too...

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back