PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mark Daniels on the fall of Mac Jones

No good leader leads by consensus. Brady demanded the teams respect and if he didn't get it he let that player know what they did wrong in no uncertain terms. He was a great leader for a long period of time because he earned the respect of the players through his play on the field and how he interacted with them off the field.

That doesn't see right. You seem like a friendly man about town type of guy. I am calling BS. I bet you have at least a baker's dozen worth of friends.
OK, guilty as charged :rofl:

There's just too much baggage with Mac and unless the OC (or QB coach) coming in has a crap ton of experience -- which appears unlikely -- parsing through that here is a nonstarter. Mac has ability and smarts but lacks grit and the kind of win-at-all-costs competitiveness required in an NFL starter. The Pats should start from scratch at quarterback with a veteran free agent, rookie and perhaps a developmental guy not named Jones or Zappe.
That's probably true, but the team has so many holes on offense. QB is obviously one, but if the top 2 guys are gone by #3, logically I can understand targeting WR and tackle this year. Go with either a vet or Mac in 2024 and maybe they are around a .500 team, picking in the middle of the 1st next year. Then they can consider a QB they like at that time if it's still an issue. I don't think they should necessarily reach for Jayden Daniels just because QB is a big need, when other big needs could be reasonably filled with their draft position this year. They could take MHJ and trade up a bit for a tackle with the second pick, or trade down from 3 to around 6 or 7 for a premier left tackle and pick up an extra 2nd rounder, and use those to trade up for a mid-1st WR. You can majorly patch up some holes that way and tread water with a vet QB, or Mac if a new OC can turn him around, then try to find solutions in 2025.

Of course, if Drake Maye is still on the board at #3, draft that MF. Obviously.

This article makes me kind of soften my stance on Mac a bit… They really did screw him the last two years. BOB was better than Patricia, but Bill really had it out for him after ‘22 and never let go. And most of all, Troy Brown just sucks ass as a WR Coach. If some of these guys can’t figure out their routes after years on the team, why is he still employed?

I can’t really blame Mac for getting so frustrated by some of this… Maybe they can give him a try in their new scheme under new coaching with a fresh start and see how it goes? It’s probably too far gone, but it seems like it might be worth a try. He does have the physical talent to be a solid QB if he can get right mentally… Perhaps if Maye isn’t there at 3, they can take MHJ and trade up a bit for a tackle with their second pick; sign a veteran QB and see what happens?
Did you read the part in the article where Mac said he learned his lesson about the INT in the Colts game? Next time "take the sack"? He had a wide open Gesicki in the end zone. He blames the bad throw on pressure. NO ACCOUNTABILITY. This is what BB despises about Mac. Crybaby.

He's NEVER going to learn. The article reinforces that.

I had the misfortune of listening to Boston Sports Radio this morning. It's incredible how slanted they are against Belichick. They were digging at Daniels to put all the blame on Belichick. He mostly did but held back going all the way. BUT when they ended the session to talk about the quote I'm highlighting from Mac about the INT against Indy, Daniels changed the wording.

I think what Mac is quoted as saying is yet another attempt by Mac to blame the bad throw on pressure.

Did you read the part in the article where Mac said he learned his lesson about the INT in the Colts game? Next time "take the sack"? He had a wide open Gesicki in the end zone. He blames the bad throw on pressure. NO ACCOUNTABILITY. This is what BB despises about Mac. Crybaby.

He's NEVER going to learn. The article reinforces that.

I had the misfortune of listening to Boston Sports Radio this morning. It's incredible how slanted they are against Belichick. They were digging at Daniels to put all the blame on Belichick. He mostly did but held back going all the way. BUT when they ended the session to talk about the quote I'm highlighting from Mac about the INT against Indy, Daniels changed the wording.

I think what Mac is quoted as saying is yet another attempt by Mac to blame the bad throw on pressure.
The goal from Mac’s PR team with this article was to make Mac look like a victim and they clearly succeeded.

Triumph isn’t young by any means, he’s been talking **** on the board for over 15 years. He’s in his 40’s to 50’s, at a minimum. And he’s been using the “ Corky” term for years, it’s absolutely intended as detogatory, and he is absolutely referring to the character on the TV show.

I agree it is derogatory. No matter what it is in reference to, he clearly is using it to demean Jones.

And I am guessing I am giving him the benefit of the doubt since he claims it isn't about that. If he is referring to the Corky on the show, then it is definitely wrong and possibly even a violation of the board's TOS. It is just an end around using the r word. I have someone close to me who is mentally disabled. So I do not like any of this BS. If he is really referring to the Corky from the TV show, he should stop immediately.

But I didn't realize he has been here that long. His behavior is not really becoming for a man in his 20s never mind a middle aged man.

The goal from Mac’s PR team with this article was to make Mac look like a victim and they clearly succeeded.
It's hard not to think he is to a degree. He had some of the worst coaching in the NFL over the last 2 years and that includes the recently fired head coach.

I agree it is derogatory. No matter what it is in reference to, he clearly is using it to demean Jones.

And I am guessing I am giving him the benefit of the doubt since he claims it isn't about that. If he is referring to the Corky on the show, then it is definitely wrong and possibly even a violation of the board's TOS. It is just an end around using the r word. I have someone close to me who is mentally disabled. So I do not like any of this BS. If he is really referring to the Corky from the TV show, he should stop immediately.

But I didn't realize he has been here that long. His behavior is not really becoming for a man in his 20s never mind a middle aged man.
He's a moron. As fun as it always is to mock his stupidity putting him on ignore did a great job cleaning up the trash in my notifications and on the forum. Highly recommended.

That's probably true, but the team has so many holes on offense. QB is obviously one, but if the top 2 guys are gone by #3, logically I can understand targeting WR and tackle this year. Go with either a vet or Mac in 2024 and maybe they are around a .500 team, picking in the middle of the 1st next year. Then they can consider a QB they like at that time if it's still an issue. I don't think they should necessarily reach for Jayden Daniels just because QB is a big need, when other big needs could be reasonably filled with their draft position this year. They could take MHJ and trade up a bit for a tackle with the second pick, or trade down from 3 to around 6 or 7 for a premier left tackle and pick up an extra 2nd rounder, and use those to trade up for a mid-1st WR. You can majorly patch up some holes that way and tread water with a vet QB, or Mac if a new OC can turn him around, then try to find solutions in 2025.

Of course, if Drake Maye is still on the board at #3, draft that MF. Obviously.

I like your train of thought. If they can somehow avoid taking a QB with that first pick and snag MHJ or trade down, I'll consider it a win. Neither Maye nor Daniels excite me.

But I think retaining Mac would be problematic. Expecting him to turn things around and become the leader he NEEDS to be is a tall order. But who knows, maybe there's a path to redemption we don't know about. In that case they absolutely must cut ties with Zappe, I couldn't imagine both those guys on the roster next season.

I like your train of thought. If they can somehow avoid taking a QB with that first pick and snag MHJ or trade down, I'll consider it a win. Neither Maye nor Daniels excite me.

But I think retaining Mac would be problematic. Expecting him to turn things around and become the leader he NEEDS to be is a tall order. But who knows, maybe there's a path to redemption we don't know about. In that case they absolutely must cut ties with Zappe, I couldn't imagine both those guys on the roster next season.
I agree and I think he needs to go regardless of whether he can turn things around on the field. What cinched it for me was the comment that he wants to be one of the guys instead of a leader. That's not a QB I want leading my team. Should have never been drafted if that's his mindset.

Yeah it is probably a tall order... but we'll see what happens. I agree that they probably can't keep Mac and Zappe both in that scenario. Rourke could probably stay kicking around as a 3rd guy, and is in all likelihood better than Zappe anyway.

If they don't hit on a qb the Patriots are headed for a Bills-like decade plus of NFL purgatory - a flash here or there, but never good ebnough to qualify for the tournament or win a game in said post season spectacle. Look at Buffalo...after Kelly retired they stayed afloat with Flutie for a couple seasons....but after Flutie left...yikes...17 seasons and no playoffs and 17 seasons of mediocrity and garbage behind center - Rob Johnson, Alex Van Pelt, Bledsoe, Tyrod Taylor, Fitzmagic, Trent Edwards, Kyle Orton, JP Losman, EJ Manuel. And its not like those Buffalo teams were bereft of talent - they had some good players but the quarterback position was completely bungled.
It looks like the Jones pick was a bad one (and I was onboard thinking he could be a good nfl quarterback) and might've set the franchise back a couple years....that coupled with the former HC of the NEP's malfeasance, and we're looking at a long road back to respectability.
A caller on 98.5 yesterday said the Patriots are basically an expansion team right now - a very sobering thought for a once-great franchise.

You need an act 2. The guy has no arm or can't throw an out. Our OCs sucked in 2022, but that didn't suck strength from the guy's arm. He can't throw an out. The opposing teams knew it. The book was out on him.
Our QBs, sucked, our coaching sucked, our weapons sucked. Tell me something I don't know.

Every good decision ever made = Belichick
Every bad decision ever made = not Belichick

Every good draft ever made = Belichick
Every bad draft ever made = not Belichick or reasons.

You may want to change up your tired old routine. We get it, you believe Belichick walks on water. However, coming from the dude that's been wrong 90% of the times on here, with zero credibility, you need to mix it up a little bit. You know, mix in your BS with a little bit of truth once in a while. Just saying.
This is what it always boils down to. Still amazes me how many people are willing to absolve Bill of all the issues and defect the blame everywhere else.

If they don't hit on a qb the Patriots are headed for a Bills-like decade plus of NFL purgatory - a flash here or there, but never good ebnough to qualify for the tournament or win a game in said post season spectacle. Look at Buffalo...after Kelly retired they stayed afloat with Flutie for a couple seasons....but after Flutie left...yikes...17 seasons and no playoffs and 17 seasons of mediocrity and garbage behind center - Rob Johnson, Alex Van Pelt, Bledsoe, Tyrod Taylor, Fitzmagic, Trent Edwards, Kyle Orton, JP Losman, EJ Manuel. And its not like those Buffalo teams were bereft of talent - they had some good players but the quarterback position was completely bungled.
It looks like the Jones pick was a bad one (and I was onboard thinking he could be a good nfl quarterback) and might've set the franchise back a couple years....that coupled with the former HC of the NEP's malfeasance, and we're looking at a long road back to respectability.
A caller on 98.5 yesterday said the Patriots are basically an expansion team right now - a very sobering thought for a once-great franchise.
It wasn't just the QB... the entire Bills organization football ops was also a merry go round and that didn't help.

One ownership change in the last 20 years.

Bills GM's: After Polian there was John Butler, Tom Donahoe, Marv Levy, Russ Brandon, Buddy Nix, Doug Whaley and then Beane today. That's a lot for any sports team.

Bills coaches: After Marv Levy then it went Wade Phillips, Gregg Williams, Mike Mularkey, **** Jauron, Chan Gailey, Doug Marrone, Rex, Anthony Lynn (Interim) then McDermott after that.

Our other AFC East rivals haven't been much better. No organization can be successful on a merry go round like this.

That's the trap that we have to avoid. Hopefully.

Last edited:
mac wasn't put in the best position to succeed, which is what coaching is supposed to do, that he couldn't overcome that I guess is a black mark against him but there's blame on both sides. We're starting fresh with a new HC, new DC and a new OC, get a new QB and give him the support he needs.

I remember when the report came out in '22 that Mac was reaching outside Foxboro for advice from other coaches, I said that was a huge no-no with Bill and he was done w/ him. I was called a Mac hater for saying that. Lol
He did it in 2023 again with Dan Orlovsky (@ ESPN). And I'm sure he was admonished for going outside the organization in 2022. And yet he did it again. This time to a member of the press (sorta).

“The Patriots believed they upgraded the receiver position by signing JuJu Smith-Schuster, but a chronic knee injury led to the receiver lacking the same burst. The Patriots also discovered he wasn’t as detailed as a route runner compared to Meyers.”

Albert Breer got ripped to shreds by posters when he said Schuster’s knee was going to “blow up”. He looked pretty cooked this season.
Agreed, juju is only 27, and the knee issues he had at Pitt and KC just affected his game, juju even said himself that he was in discomfort in the superbowl. I still think juju is a good player, but the knee limits him, and will ultimately be what cuts his career short by the time he's 30.

Agreed, juju is only 27, and the knee issues he had at Pitt and KC just affected his game, juju even said himself that he was in discomfort in the superbowl. I still think juju is a good player, but the knee limits him, and will ultimately be what cuts his career short by the time he's 30.
I hope to never see him in a Patriots uniform again.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back