PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My camp quirky observations

FredFromDartmouth

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Today was the first time I had been to the Patriots training camp since the old Bryant days (I have some interesting stories about Hog Hannah, etc.), and wow, the training facilities are really nice for fans. It was a delightful experience at a classy place.

Anyway, here are my impressions from today. I brought my binoculars and watched some player / coach interactions.

It seemed like Demario Douglas was the star of camp on the offensive side of the ball. I found it interesting that Troy Brown spent a lot of time talking to Demario. They seems to have exactly the same body size which might lead one to believe...we can only hope.

On the defense, there were a lot of stars, but Mack Wilson had two pass breakups that I saw. He looked really good. This defense is going to be really tough. I cannot wait to see in pre-season.

Trent Brown is huge. He towered over everyone, although he seemed to spend his time with some coaches and not on the field. I was surprised that everyone says that he is in good shape; he is, ahem, not svelte--he has the body of a giant bluefin tuna, and everyone else were minnows.

Speaking of big, McDermont at right tackle looked really imposing. I cannot tell if he can move that mess around (to paraphrase the B-52's) or if he is just a big galoot. It would be really great if he has the foot work to pass block since he is probably a pretty strong run blocker.

I thought that Devante Parker looks pretty good. He and Gonzo were battling it out. I wish I had watched them more closely, but Parker won on one occasion but Gonzo had him covered on other plays.

Bourne looks like he is in incredible shape. He is ripped, but he did not look quite as quick or as nifty as Parker or Douglas.

Matt Sokel looked pretty good.

Malik Cunningham is huge, but he dropped a pass that I saw. I sure hope he sticks and I wish the Patriots would give him a chance at QB. He seem to be getting along very well with the other WRs.

Not surprisingly, Hunter Henry looked good.

After practice, Bailey Zappe was firing off towering 50 yard passes to Thornton (who caught them easily). Who says Zappe has a weak arm, eh?

After practice the OLine guys signed for the kids; the kids were delighted. It was fun to watch. Ferentz was great with the kids and their parents. Sidy Sow was also good with the kids--he seems like a laid back, wooly bear type of person. David Andrews also signed but was more reserved; I assume he just wanted to get to the showers.

Rhamondre is a beast among the RBs.

I saw Marte Mapu on one play and he looked goo.

I know binkies are usually supposed to be rookies, but McDermott is mine. Solid play from him would help this offense immensely.

J J Taylor has always looked good to me also, but for some reason he is never able to crack the starting lineup.....goes to show that I am not a pro scout.....but Demario looks really, really good.

Too bad about Bourne. He has great size. If I am not mistaken, he had to run a lap.

Today was the first time I had been to the Patriots training camp since the old Bryant days (I have some interesting stories about Hog Hannah, etc.), and wow, the training facilities are really nice for fans. It was a delightful experience at a classy place.

Anyway, here are my impressions from today. I brought my binoculars and watched some player / coach interactions.

It seemed like Demario Douglas was the star of camp on the offensive side of the ball. I found it interesting that Troy Brown spent a lot of time talking to Demario. They seems to have exactly the same body size which might lead one to believe...we can only hope.

On the defense, there were a lot of stars, but Mack Wilson had two pass breakups that I saw. He looked really good. This defense is going to be really tough. I cannot wait to see in pre-season.

Trent Brown is huge. He towered over everyone, although he seemed to spend his time with some coaches and not on the field. I was surprised that everyone says that he is in good shape; he is, ahem, not svelte--he has the body of a giant bluefin tuna, and everyone else were minnows.

Speaking of big, McDermont at right tackle looked really imposing. I cannot tell if he can move that mess around (to paraphrase the B-52's) or if he is just a big galoot. It would be really great if he has the foot work to pass block since he is probably a pretty strong run blocker.

I thought that Devante Parker looks pretty good. He and Gonzo were battling it out. I wish I had watched them more closely, but Parker won on one occasion but Gonzo had him covered on other plays.

Bourne looks like he is in incredible shape. He is ripped, but he did not look quite as quick or as nifty as Parker or Douglas.

Matt Sokel looked pretty good.

Malik Cunningham is huge, but he dropped a pass that I saw. I sure hope he sticks and I wish the Patriots would give him a chance at QB. He seem to be getting along very well with the other WRs.

Not surprisingly, Hunter Henry looked good.

After practice, Bailey Zappe was firing off towering 50 yard passes to Thornton (who caught them easily). Who says Zappe has a weak arm, eh?

After practice the OLine guys signed for the kids; the kids were delighted. It was fun to watch. Ferentz was great with the kids and their parents. Sidy Sow was also good with the kids--he seems like a laid back, wooly bear type of person. David Andrews also signed but was more reserved; I assume he just wanted to get to the showers.

Rhamondre is a beast among the RBs.

I saw Marte Mapu on one play and he looked goo.
I just finished watching the movie Air, and I've said this before, but I truly believe DD was my guy's pick. Loosely similar to Sonny Vaccaro convincing everyone else in Nike that MJ was THE guy to all in on, I think TB80 had to convince BB and Groh this was the pick to make.

Don‘t know if it’s been updated since this year’s physicals, but patriots.com shows the following:

Trent Brown = 6’8”, 370lbs.
Conor McDermott = 6’8”, 310lbs.

Probably has been updated, because I thought in the past Trent was listed at 380. OTOH reportedly he came in lighter than before this year, and somehow I had the idea his target for the weight clause a year or two ago was 365.

In any event Trent is definitely a large human being, and compared to him Conor is a lightweight.

Last edited:
Don‘t know if it’s been updated since this year’s physicals, but patriots.com shows the following:

Trent Brown = 6’8”, 370lbs.
Conor McDermott = 6’8”, 310lbs.

Probably has been updated, because I thought in the past Trent was listed at 380. OTOH reportedly he came in lighter than before this year, and somehow I had the idea his target for the weight clause a year or two ago was 365.

In any event Trent is definitely a large human being, and compared to him Conor is a lightweight.

I am starting to feel better about the offense. If we have these two massive bookends/roadgraders, maybe we can get some yardage on the ground which might open up the passing game. Connor may be a comparative lightweight, but he is still a massive guy. He looks huge compared to the other O-linemen and that is saying a lot...and he looks mean and ugly--all good traits for the position.

Dave Andrews signing autographs for the kids. He even cracked an occasional smile, but he has been through a zillion of these authograph sessions....

1690938812000.png

Last edited:
What I cannot understand is why the Patriots were not recording the workouts for later analysis. Heck, even my tiny High School did this....or was I missing the camera?

I also noticed that all the employee were friendly and helpful. It is a very family oriented environment...very different than, ahem, Schaefer Stadium.

Weird, eh? Maybe I was watching him standing around with Demario Douglas and JJ Taylor....I hope he makes the team, but I was not getting the WR vibe from him....why can't they at least let him try a few passes....or run the option.
agree 100%. For years I have been hoping for an athletic mobile houdini of a qb. I think Malik would be exciting. But clearly its not part of Bill's vision, having passed on Lamar Jackson and Jaylen Hurts.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back