PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Training camp observations

FredFromDartmouth

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I went to the training camp again today and here are my quirky, peephole observations. I could not see much of the field, but here are my general observation. I have not read what the other scribes wrote so I don't know if I am off base.

Everyone looked hot and tired and ready for training camp to end. I caught the tail end of the one-on-one's with the receivers going against the DBs. The receivers were killing them. The only DB that showed any tenacity was Jack Jones....speaking of which:

Jack Jones was their best CB. I saw him dogging it on a kickoff return, but other than that he had the tightest coverage of anyone including one deep breakup. He has a thin, slight, but muscular build. He is aggressive and fearless and I never saw him get beat. No wonder he is still on the team--I hope that this young man can get his act together.

Demario Pop Douglas was far and away the best receiver. He not only got open but he got wide open. I saw him on a punt return just burning up the field; I don't like to see such a valuable asset used on something as dangerous as punt returns, but wow.

Tyquan Thornton had a good day. I don't know if he was going up against the second string defense, but I saw him pull down three passes. So much for the nay-sayers.

Malik Cunningham looked adequate throwing passes and even better on the (designed?) QB scramble. I was hoping that the Patriots would give him a chance at his natural position. Maybe he is not the most accurate passer (I don't know yet), but he brings an extra dimension. It would be huge if he sticks.

Trent Brown was playing, but it did not look like he was going full speed or 100% effort. Maybe he is just a laid back type of dude. And now, definitely, he is going to twist my head off.

Even more than the previous camp I went to, this camp had a wonderful, family-oriented feel to it. So different than the drunken jabronies and jamokes from the old Schaefer Stadium days. There were jabronies at the old Bryant College practices, but it was usually too early in the day for them to be drunk.

Today there were a lot of soccer moms there and more kids than adults. It was great scene.

At one end of the field was a special place set aside for children in wheelchairs. I met a woman who explained that they all had Duchene muscular dystrophy which is usually fatal by age 25. At the end of practice, most of the Big Name Patriots such as Mac Jones headed over there to sign autographs. Rhamondre Stevenson was the first Patriot over there.

At the end of practice, there was a mad scramble by the kids for autographs. Almost all the adults (almost) were polite and let the kid go first.

Thornton had a great time chatting with the kids and signing autographs. He seems like a real genuine guy:

1691536458844.png

1691536497285.png

By the way, again today I saw the Patriots's WR coach Troy Brown hanging out with Demario "Pop" Douglas. Not surprising anymore--Pop is the gem of the receiving corps, although I have to say that Parker looks like a gazelle.

I did not see anything from Bourne, but I think that Tre Nixon had some catches. Other than that it was sort of a blur. Gonzo was on punt coverage and did a credible job.

Even more than the previous camp I went to, this camp had a wonderful, family-oriented feel to it. So different than the drunken jabronies and jamokes from the old Schaefer Stadium days. There were jabronies at the old Bryant College practices, but it was usually too early in the day for them to be drunk.
People really didn't get drunk while attending training camp at those places, did they? I've never been to one anywhere, so I wouldn't know.

I've been hammered at the only couple of pre-season games I've ever attended, because the beer lines were so much shorter...

At one end of the field was a special place set aside for children in wheelchairs. I met a woman who explained that they all had Duchene muscular dystrophy which is usually fatal by age 25. At the end of practice, most of the Big Name Patriots such as Mac Jones headed over there to sign autographs. Rhamondre Stevenson was the first Patriot over there.

Gotta feel for those kids... And a tip of the cap to the Pats who saw them after practice ended.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back