PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Nice read: Riess' post SBLI quick-hits

Status
Not open for further replies.

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Some nice background storylines from SB LI (wow its been one week and remains unreal..)

James White, Kevin Faulk now linked in Patriots' lore with direct-snap play

quote:

From Faulk, who was in Houston the morning of Super Bowl LI before making the three-hour ride home to watch the game so he could be with family:

• He was thinking about Super Bowl XXXVI against the St. Louis Rams when the Falcons started the game so fast. "They looked 10 steps faster than the Patriots, and then you compare that to what you saw from them in the third and fourth quarter, which was different," Faulk said. "Our first Super Bowl, we got coached on that. Specifically, don't get too hyped in warm-ups because you're going back to the locker room after that and won't be back on the field for 45 minutes. Then you get to halftime, and time-wise, that would usually be around when you finished a game. So you have to pace yourself and be careful about using up too much energy early." As it turns out, Faulk's thoughts were shared by Bill Belichick and coaches at Super Bowl LI, as Belichick (via NFL Films) was heard saying "they're wearing down" on the sideline in the second half.

This stood out to me, and is entirely in keeping with Brady's attitudes, and the stories that his teammates tell about him.

10. Listening to Brady answer questions for two hours and 45 minutes as part of his Super Bowl LI obligations over a four-day stretch, I came away convinced that he cares little, if at all, about the whole greatest-of-all-time debate that has generated quite a bit of media-based discussion. He must have repeated 15 times that he never played football to earn that type of distinction, and also said he'd pick Joe Montana if he had to choose between the two of them for a winner-takes-all game. I believe him. So in the wake of his boyhood idol Montana saying he couldn't call Brady the best of all-time because it's so difficult to compare across eras, I don't think that fazes Brady at all. I truly don't think he cares.

One of the reasons that I admire him is his humility. It isn't an act. It's reflective of his parents, and how he was raised. This is why I am still so angry over his treatment by the NFL front office. They went out intending to tarnish the reputation of a good young man, and, to a large extent, they succeeded.

also said he'd pick Joe Montana if he had to choose between the two of them for a winner-takes-all game. I believe him.

No way Reiss really believes him. You'd have to be crazy to pick Montana over Brady in a one off. The records just favor Brady way too clearly.

And Tom Brady's not that kind of crazy.

I like how Reiss pointed out yet again that Lewis pulled his hamstring early in the game. It's one of the things that goes under in all the ballyhoo about how McD used our RBs in this game. I think it was Reiss as well after the SB who pointed out that the play that won the SB was actually meant for Lewis but his injury made White step in.

Does anybody know why the Falcons only sent out Ryan for the OT coin toss? In the beginning of the game, there were 3-4 Falcons. Now, there was only Ryan. Why?

No way Reiss really believes him. You'd have to be crazy to pick Montana over Brady in a one off. The records just favor Brady way too clearly.

And Tom Brady's not that kind of crazy.

As a competitor, Brady will always pick himself even when he was a rookie 6th rounder.

As a pro and human being, Brady will always defer.

This, as usual, was a great read. I look forward to quick hits every Sunday. I really felt I was missing something in life for the brief period this season when I had no internet capabilities (long, boring story). This, probably for obvious reasons, was one of the best I've read.

The nugget about Bill being heard telling the team that ATL was wearing down... just amazing how he sees everything. The coaching is just too f*cking notch. It really makes that extra bit of difference. Don't tell me experience doesn't matter. A young team will always believe that, and they should for their sake, but it usually is proven today it matters a lot.

Oh, and the fact that Jules tied Welker for playoff receptions on that insane catch is a bit of dramatic irony. I don't give a ****, that drop in 2011 will always bother me (just like Asante's dumb ass leaving his receiver on that other insane SB catch). I said loud and clear at the SB party, "WE just lost the game right there." I just knew that drop left the door wide open for the Gints. I'm getting angry just recalling it.

Last edited:

I think you may be right. The defense was cooked and they did not want the Pats to see that.

On a side note, the Falcon's boards are all chirping how Ryan completely out-played Brady. They are also showing the Stats that Ryan's 2016 Playoffs were better than any Playoffs in Brady's career.

And sure, Ryan's stats may have been better than Brady's in the SB, but that is just more evidence to show that Stats can be misleading. Brady outplayed Ryan. He just did.

This stood out to me, and is entirely in keeping with Brady's attitudes, and the stories that his teammates tell about him.

One of the reasons that I admire him is his humility. It isn't an act. It's reflective of his parents, and how he was raised. This is why I am still so angry over his treatment by the NFL front office. They went out intending to tarnish the reputation of a good young man, and, to a large extent, they succeeded.

Be Water, my friend. ;)

I like how Reiss pointed out yet again that Lewis pulled his hamstring early in the game. It's one of the things that goes under in all the ballyhoo about how McD used our RBs in this game. I think it was Reiss as well after the SB who pointed out that the play that won the SB was actually meant for Lewis but his injury made White step in.

Reiss is the best hands down. The only ones close are Chatham or Curran.

Does anybody have a link to the video where belichick points out the falcons are getting gassed? Reiss says its on nfl films but I can't find it!

On a side note, the Falcon's boards are all chirping how Ryan completely out-played Brady. They are also showing the Stats that Ryan's 2016 Playoffs were better than any Playoffs in Brady's career.

And sure, Ryan's stats may have been better than Brady's in the SB, but that is just more evidence to show that Stats can be misleading. Brady outplayed Ryan. He just did.

Isn't this rather similar to how Manning's stats were much better than Brady's because he played in a -dome- much, much more often than Brady?

I mean, Ryan plays in a dome. Didn't matter for Houston, but I'd imagine trying to compare Brady's Foxborough In Winter stats vs a dome QB just makes him look pretty bad by comparision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe