PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official 2021 Cutdown Day Thread

It was a simpler time really...military veterans instead of becoming political tools of both sides of the aisle instead, like Captain Kangaroo and Mister Rogers, all became children's television hosts.

Mr. Rogers was never a military veteran. I have no idea why that myth stubbornly persists. He was always a Presbyterian minister.

See, this is a fallacy in my opinion. The Patriots offense isn't predicated around the "#1WR". It's predicated around creating mismatches to get different players open. And it doesn't matter if it's a TE, WR, or RB. For the first 5 years of the Brady Era, we didn't have a #1 WR that defenses had to account for. We still tore other teams up because Brady would hit the OPEN receiver. And it was a running joke that his favorite receiver was the OPEN receiver.

I'm a little more awake now, and possibly even coherent. Let me give this another try:

The Patriots don't need a Randy Moss or Julio Jones. But they definitely do need multiple Jakobi Meyerses. Which is to say, reliable, versatile receivers or tight ends who have proven that they understand and can perform in this offense and be where the QB expects them to be. And right now, Meyers is their only Meyers.

The two FA tight ends are exciting acquisitions with lots of potential, but they've never actually taken the field together. N'Keal Harry singlehandedly outgained them in the preseason. As Patriots they're unknown quantities, and veteran TEs as well as WRs have sometimes seen their production plummet after joining the Patriots.

We all saw what it was like, even with Brady at QB, when Edelman was the only really reliable receiver. They need another WR and TE to step up and be a constant threat the defense has to account for. Not as individual world-beaters, but to keep defenses from just loading up against the run and stifling Meyers. And whether or not they used a late-round draft pick on a WR wasn't going to affect that for this season.

And don't forget...

5lnidj.gif

...oops... wrong forum? ;)
Do we have a Tom Seaver forum?

Yes. Notice this about the captain. However much abuse he gets, he doesn't dish it back at fellow board members. (He's saving that for "Slowjuan Williams" and "Little Billy".) :whistle:
This is one of the most noticeable things in my opinion as well when it get's heated....usually if you see some poster insult someone else they fire back but the captain ignores this stuff which is impressive

This is one of the most noticeable things in my opinion as well when it get's heated....usually if you see some poster insult someone else they fire back but the captain ignores this stuff which is impressive
Yep. Captain is beyond negative towards BB draft picks but he's a mature board member and that is the highest amount of respect I can give him.

Those who fail to learn from the mistakes of history are doomed to repeat them.
With all due respect, you can't drive the car staring at the rear view mirror.

Some members seem to fixate on past draft failures to the extent of it impacting their ability to enjoy the current team.

Some members seem to have so much invested in their draft opinion being correct they don't like it when players they dislike do well.

It just seems to me there's a lot of negative energy tied up in the whole draft opinon thing, and this impacts some people's ability to just enjoy the team and the games.

He's a troll. He's a very bad troll. He's been trolling here since 2009, and he still sucks at it.

haha we call him “Deus has a screw loose “

luckily I’ve avoided you for the most part these past 13 years

I think that people have forgotten (understandably) how the passing attack fits with our TE's and RB's. Of course the fact we haven't seen Henry and Smith in any of the preseason games hasn't helped, but there was a reason we paid all that money to get these guys. Unfortunately we might not see their impact for a few weeks, but hopefully it will be considerable and affect the rest of the passing game accordingly.

This is what makes football so fascinating. It ISN'T about one on one match ups on the outside. It IS about using ALL those eligible receivers to create open receivers. ALL the receivers This is what McDaniels is best at. (supposedly) I can't wait to see what it looks like
So 3 below average WRs allows another Man to get open?

We love @captain stone. Where else would we witness legends such as the Ja’Wrong brothers, Scam Newton’s, N’Kill Harry, Assuis Marsh, Sore-knee Michel, Devin Assiassi, Jordan BADemosi, Kendrick Mourn(e), Nelson JAGholor etc…..we NEED him here.

Last edited:
Captain Stone is the pessimistic, clint eastwood in gran torino-sage we need to keep us grounded.

We all need a little Captain inside us.

Sorry Ryan Reynolds GIF by The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard

There was this one guy, 1988 years ago that pulled it off, why not NEM?
Carl Bismarck was apparently able to pull it off, too.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back