PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Official 2024 Free Agency Thread - Day 2

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did do some research and found that Jacksonville actually gets to keep the comp as a 3rd round pick for Ridley if they wait until after 4PM tomorrow to sign him. At that point it's no longer considered an "extension" so the compensation doesn't escalate.

So Ridley using Jacksonville as leverage doesn't make a lot of sense - they're not going to do anything with him until tomorrow.
Right, but it does put Wolf on the clock to try to make a deal before that.

Crazy that Jacksonville is a better destination for FAs than NE these days. I dont blame him. Who in their right mind would prefer to be thrown the ball from Jacoby Brisset/Bailey Zappe/Draft Pick than Trevor Lawrence... and I don't even rate Lawrence very highly.
Cousin,
Simple...Taxes. Massachusetts is a communist "progressive" state run by imbeciles. We can all agree on that.
Florida? Nyet on the Taxes.

The good news is we have the advantage on $
  • Jags Team Cap Space now: $5,483,568.
They also just signed WR Gabe Davis on a $39mm deal . Another WR Christian Kirk is $24mm (do they need to invest in another WR?) Zay Jones in $10mm and re-uped Scherff and Josh Allen for almost $50mm.

So unless Ridley wants to sign for like $5mm.....this might be agent speak.
DW Toys

Ha, of course Ridley is also represented by David Mulugheta. He’s really good at getting his guys top dollar, but you have to accept that he’s going to do a ton of posturing via leaks.
Thanks, I was just about to look up who his agent was. Mulugheta has done well for his guys this offseason but yeah, playing games in the media is definitely part of his schtick.

Then he'll tell him to go screw and go back to Jacksonville.
You have to remember, this isn't exactly a prime destination anymore.
I get it. But we may already be at the overpay price
There comes a point where you walk away
I'm good with that
It is not like Ridley is Jefferson. He is a good #2 if he doesn't get suspended or he goes off his meds
The kid has problems

Right, but it does put Wolf on the clock to try to make a deal before that.
I don't think it does. He can say "this is my offer, I know Jacksonville isn't going to pay you more than this before tomorrow. If they somehow want to beat it after tomorrow then call me. In the meantime I'll be on the phone with the Chargers talking about Keenan Allen and Mike Williams."

Jacksonville only has $5M in cap space.

I'm good with that
It is not like Ridley is Jefferson. He is a good #2 if he doesn't get suspended or he goes off his meds
Oh, I completely agree with you. I wouldn't be hard-pushing for Ridley myself, but it's not up to us.

If Jags wanted to really keep Ridley they wouldn't have immediately jumped to give Gabe Davis a $50m deal. Also extending Ridley would be a 2nd rd pick to the Falcons this year. So if Ridley goes back it's a very team friendly deal. My guess this is agent stuff trying to get Pats to up the offer as Ridley and his agent have to think this is will be his only big contract of his career.

ven Ridley is better and younger trust me and I like Williams too.
Ridley is 2 mos younger.

Williams stats are better per catch/route:

Screenshot_20240312_131749_Firefox.jpg

The only thing is Williams has been more injury prone which is a consideration. Ridley has more off field issues.

Williams @ $17M w/ a pick
Ridley @ 22M

Idk.

Oh, I completely agree with you. I wouldn't be hard-pushing for Ridley myself, but it's not up to us.
IF you'll GM GOD BB had picked A.J. Brown or George Pickens we wouldn't be in this position all we need was one Wolf knows how Important the position is unlike the guy who's no longer Coaching.

I did do some research and found that Jacksonville actually gets to keep the comp as a 3rd round pick for Ridley if they wait until after 4PM tomorrow to sign him. At that point it's no longer considered an "extension" so the compensation doesn't escalate.

So Ridley using Jacksonville as leverage doesn't make a lot of sense - they're not going to do anything with him until tomorrow.
Then they're just stalling the Pats until tomorrow. **** em. I'm ok with moving on.

Assuming Onwenu's cap hit is $10M or less and Brissett has some NLTBE incentives in his deal, then NE should have roughly $60M in cap space still remaining.

Then they're just stalling the Pats until tomorrow. **** em. I'm ok with moving on.
If anything that gives NE more leverage. By tomorrow teams have a lot less cap space and many have already filled their WR positions. The likelihood Ridley gets the "bag" he's looking for, from Jacksonville or anyone else, goes down. NE could even lower their offer as time passes and the relative amount of cap space available in the league shrinks. No agent for a premier FA should think of stalling as a good idea.

Looking at some of the Chargers' potential cap casualties/possible trade bait, current cap #, annual contracts, and age (in 2024).
LAC is currently $26 million over the cap, and needs to fix that by tomorrow.

In regards to @DW Toys suggestion of a trade: I think that would make sense for a team that is already a playoff contender - but much less so for a team that is rebuilding. My concern woul be that they are here for only a year or two, then leave in free agency. That's an acceptable trade-off for a contender; less so for a rebuilding team.

Now if you want to try and sign one of these players after they are released, without having to trade awat draft capital - that's a different consideration.

Edit: hat tip to @Sciz for pointing out that trades cannot be made until after the start of the new league year, Wednesday. Teams must also be under the cap at that point - therfore such a trade cannot be made.

Khalil Mack - Edge - 33
Cap#: $38,517,500
2024: $17,550,000
2025: Free Agent

Joey Bosa - Edge - 29
Cap#: $36,611,666
2024: $15,000,000
2025: $17,000,000
2026: Free Agent

Keenan Allen - WR - 32
Cap#: $34,717,500
2024: $18,100,000

Mike Williams - WR - 30
Cap#: $32,460,000
2024: $17,000,000

Derwin James - SS - 28
Cap#: $19,856,494
2024: $12,750,000
2025: $13,750,000
2026: $14,500,000

I agree on the contender piece Cousin. You hope you can resign one or two but you are "test driving" them to see if they fit and contribute.
Our problem is "groceries" on our shelf. We have oogatz!
Swapping say our 4th and getting rid of a smaller CAP issue like JuJu can put two or three of these able bodies on our roster who play at a high level versus an unknown quantity known as a 4th Round Draft pick.....Make sense?
That's why I put JuJu in the deal.
If just one or two work out for the Pats it is a win trade.
DW Toys

I'm good with that
The kid has problems
It's very hard to get a #1 unless you Draft them but Ridley would be a Great # 2 like Edelman here. A really Good #2 can make it all work we are loaded with #3's and 4's not good enough.

Ridley is 2 mos younger.

Williams stats are better per catch/route:

View attachment 57000

The only thing is Williams has been more injury prone which is a consideration. Ridley has more off field issues.

Williams @ $17M w/ a pick
Ridley @ 22M

Idk.
Mike Williams, 6'4", Calvin Ridley 6'. Something else to consider. 4.53 vs. 4.43.

If anything that gives NE more leverage. By tomorrow teams have a lot less cap space and many have already filled their WR positions. The likelihood Ridley gets the "bag" he's looking for, from Jacksonville or anyone else, goes down. NE could even lower their offer as time passes and the relative amount of cap space available in the league shrinks. No agent for a premier FA should think of stalling as a good idea.
Ross can we think Positive please Ridley helps our Offense and Defense.

Last edited:
I moreso hope we have another significant plan in place to bring in a WR if we can't land him. Don't go spend it on Hollywood Brown or some mid level FA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back