PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Official 2024 Free Agency Thread - Day 3

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
Status
Not open for further replies.
Players can’t have negative trade value unless they have guaranteed money to transfer to the new team. None of the Chargers players in question have that, so at worst the Chargers just have to cut them.

Players can’t have negative trade value unless they have guaranteed money to transfer to the new team. None of the Chargers players in question have that, so at worst the Chargers just have to cut them.
If that's the caseI feel Mike Williams is our new man. :cool:

Unless you have QB beer goggles for McCarthy…
No. If the Chargers approached Chicago, the Commanders and the patriots about trading Herbert- the question would be - what else are you sending in addition to this years pick. The conversation would not be- Hebert and what else for the pick. Take off your Patriots goggles for 5 seconds.

You don't know that Ridley or Williams automatically improves our other WR's Bourne and Pop would become more dangerous.

Sure they'd obviously help. Though with Williams, he's 30 coming off an ACL injury. Usually guys aren't them full selves in year 1 back from that. Bourne also coming off an ACL injury, so another thing to watch. I'm kind of skeptical of him.

Ridley would be different because he's a multi year deal. He's a guy you'd have in place for a while. I just don't see this team as close enough where the 1 year signings make sense. Let's say we trade for Williams on a 1 year deal and he works out... ok, now next year our WR room is in the same spot. I prefer trying to build some contingency plans so we can spend the next 2 drafts and free agencies just going best player available rather than having this gaping roster holes all over.

I don't want spend huge money on a 1 year deal for Allen or Williams via trade. No value in that, IMO. This team doesn't appear close to being a realistic quick-turnaround contender even with one of them. A bloated 1 year deal just gives you less cap to rollover to next year and put towards viable longer term solutions.

I'd rather go with a lower priced stop gap like Josh Reynolds or DJ Chark. I FULLY understand that those are flawed players with a lot to be desired, but I just want a respectable X receiver that you can at least lineup in that spot so you aren't scrambling if the draft board doesn't fall right for you.
Issue is they have to spend to the floor this year and next. adding a high salary, no bonus amortization veteran for the presence alone is not a bad idea. Draft a WR 2nd rd and sit and learn behind keenan allen for a year etc

I would trade a 7th for Williams on the condition takes a pay cut or incentive laden deal. $20m is too much this year given his injury and age. He won't make that on the open market. I think we'd have a decent shot at him on the open market anyway at a far lower price.

Sure they'd obviously help. Though with Williams, he's 30 coming off an ACL injury. Usually guys aren't them full selves in year 1 back from that. Bourne also coming off an ACL injury, so another thing to watch. I'm kind of skeptical of him.

Ridley would be different because he's a multi year deal. He's a guy you'd have in place for a while. I just don't see this team as close enough where the 1 year signings make sense. Let's say we trade for Williams on a 1 year deal and he works out... ok, now next year our WR room is in the same spot. I prefer trying to build some contingency plans so we can spend the next 2 drafts and free agencies just going best player available rather than having this gaping roster holes all over.
Ridley is Two months younger than Williams they both turn 30 later in the year. Williams ACL injury was very early last year too and he might be a cap casualty great for us. :cool:

Falcons would probably file a grievance if that happened... not sure if they'd win, though. Someone in their legal department really screwed the pooch on the trade with that language.

(Just an FYI - this is where having a Robyn Glaser comes in handy)

Rich McKay probably has the grievance typed out already. I think they'll end up with something. Maybe they'll get the Jags 3rd round comp for this year in addition to the 3rd they are getting.

Rich McKay probably has the grievance typed out already. I think they'll end up with something. Maybe they'll get the Jags 3rd round comp for this year in addition to the 3rd they are getting.
It'd have to be decided fast since the draft is a month away.

I do wonder what Cincy would want for Higgins. If it's a 3rd I probably would do it. Kinda pricey but he's a known commodity and young... Hard to buy WRs these days.

If it's more than a 3rd, not happening.

Article on free agent NT Teair Tart from last year. He was coming off a strong season but ended up cut by TEN this year because of attitude/effort. It seems like we have a good croup of players coaches on defense between Mayo and Covington and a core of defenders that seem to play well with each other. Could be a good upside gamble for us. Sign a player who can maybe get back on an ascension track.

Bringing in mercenaries who are only there for a paycheck is not how you want to build a team either.
The 2001 Patriots would like to have a word with you. Take a look at that defense, you had a lot of guys that followed Belichick from NYJ. I agree in the sense of "you don't want to overpay for guys who don't really want to be here" however you can't just build through the draft.

They're in a situation where they need to bring in at least one upper tier WR from outside the organization otherwise Daniels or Maye will be set up to fail. You need to bring in a LT from outside and yes you can draft those players too but you want to give the new QB an advantage from day 1 while they're learning the pro game. The Pats historically have never been able to draft wide receivers consistently.

Article on free agent NT Teair Tart from last year. He was coming off a strong season but ended up cut by TEN this year because of attitude/effort. It seems like we have a good croup of players coaches on defense between Mayo and Covington and a core of defenders that seem to play well with each other. Could be a good upside gamble for us. Sign a player who can maybe get back on an ascension track.
Did we sign him? Or is this a suggestion you are making?

I do wonder what Cincy would want for Higgins. If it's a 3rd I probably would do it. Kinda pricey but he's a known commodity and young... Hard to buy WRs these days.

If it's more than a 3rd, not happening.

I feel like many would be more willing to pay more for Higgins if we lose out on Ridley. I'm actually more intrigued about the idea of landing Higgins if we do land Ridley. Especially if you go QB at #3. It's a lot to pay for both receivers but you can afford that if the QB is on a rookie deal. And then Bourne and Douglas make good #3/#4 options. So you can really focus on OL through the draft and augmenting the defense with some help in its weak points.

I would trade a 7th for Williams on the condition takes a pay cut or incentive laden deal. $20m is too much this year given his injury and age. He won't make that on the open market. I think we'd have a decent shot at him on the open market anyway at a far lower price.

I'd do something like 2 years $16m, $8m per (voids after 1 year), $5m signing bonus. He gets $13m which is close to his salary but signing bonus is spread over 2 years. So he'd be a $10.5m hit this year. Outside of him being injured last year he's played 80% of offensive snaps since 2019. I think a $8m salary for the year is fair for him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back