PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Official 2024 Free Agency Thread - Day 3

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
Status
Not open for further replies.
Crap. Now we go for Williams who hasn’t passed a physical. SMH

Titans are like the Pats. They need to pay the premium on a decent player in order to improve. That contract sucks but the Pats are going to have to overpay on anyone good.

Thats why the only real avenue to get a star WR is trade.

Lost out to the titans for Ridley?

No Evan Lazar for that money we are laughing…

IMG_5400.gif

Laughable overpay by the Titans, but at least they're willing to put their nuts on the table and show their fanbase that ownership is invested.

Shrugs GIF

I was pissed that the Titans outbid the Patriots for DeAndre Hopkins last year and felt the Pats should have matched or beat the Titans' offer. I am fine that the Pats didn't outbid the Titans for Ridley. Ridley ain't worth what the Titans gave him.

So much for weaponising the offense and burning some cash. If we trade for Aiyuk or Higgins we are giving up an even bigger contract than the one Ridley got plus giving up a high pick. I'd rather have Ridley +34 than Aiyuk or Higgins by a mile.

It's the same old story sadly. Interest, being in the mix but ultimately not being able to pull off a deal.

Edit: Seems like we were offering $22m a year according to Breer. May as well just pony up the rest at that point.

Titans are like the Pats. They need to pay the premium on a decent player in order to improve. That contract sucks but the Pats are going to have to overpay on anyone good.
After Higgins and Pittman were tagged there were no WRs worth paying that premium.

Laughable overpay by the Titans, but at least they're willing to put their nuts on the table and show their fanbase that ownership is invested.

Shrugs GIF
Wasting 23m a year on a #2 is absolutely insane.

Who was it that said 13-15m was way TF off!!

WR1 - Demario Douglas - Promising player. He was above average in separation & was top 5 in the NFL in YAC. Not close to a #1 WR but may develop into a WR2
WR2 - Kendrick Bourne - WR entering 8th year with career high 800 receiving yards in a season & coming off a torn ACL
WR3 - JuJu Smith-Schuster - hasn't been able to separate in years. He's on the team because of his contract

Even adding a WR at 34th overall won't make this a situation you want to put a rookie QB into

Shrugs GIF

We don't know what the Pats offered Ridley. They could have offered him a contract well above his value, but just not ridiculously stupid like the Titans offered.

You know what? I am not impressed if the Patriots spend money. I am impressed when they spend money WISELY. If they gave a contract like this to a top WR in the league, I would be doing cartwheels. For Calvin Ridley? I would have thought Wolf was on crack and desperately spending to get a top free agent just to show the fan base they are willing to spend no matter how stupidly.

Oh boy. :(

Also, can we put to bed the idea that it wasn’t all about the money for Ridley?
I don't think it was. I don't know what the Pats offered. But I think it was clear he didn't want to play that far north. Nashville gets cold but it's not Foxboro cold.

And that was dumb money.

Now we are going to have to Draft our own.

RUN AWAY.... RUN VERY FAR AWAY.. Sorry @PatsFan2

Would take him over Ridley. Between coming back from a back injury in his rookie training camp and his acl injury Williams had only missed 8 games because of injury in over 6 seasons. Ridley missed more for gambling.

This is standard stuff. Probably has some injury clause that gets the Chargers some cap credit or something

Do we know Pats offer to Ridley?

WR1 - Demario Douglas - Promising player. He was above average in separation & was top 5 in the NFL in YAC. Not close to a #1 WR but may develop into a WR2
WR2 - Kendrick Bourne - WR entering 8th year with career high 800 receiving yards in a season & coming off a torn ACL
WR3 - JuJu Smith-Schuster - hasn't been able to separate in years. He's on the team because of his contract

Even adding a WR at 34th overall won't make this a situation you want to put a rookie QB into
Thats setting up Maye and Daniels to fail day 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back